Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Restaurant in Manhattan with non-OU Hechsher
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 9:30 pm
Looking for a restaurant to go to in Manhattan that has a good Hechsher like Tartikov. (DH won’t eat at a restaurant that only has an OU).

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 9:34 pm
Hechsherim go by region. In Flatbush you'll find the restaurants under the Vaad of Flatbush. In Manhattan, they're all under the OU.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 9:45 pm
Have him ask his friends where they go

Yes to the above. Local Brooklyn rabbis don’t certify Manhattan restaurants as far as I know. Like I’m 5T they’re under the Vaad of 5T, in teaneck they’re under RCBC. Manhattan has its own hechsherim.

Or you can stay in Brooklyn to eat

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 10:19 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
Hechsherim go by region. In Flatbush you'll find the restaurants under the Vaad of Flatbush. In Manhattan, they're all under the OU.

Not true that they’re all Ou in Manhattan

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 10:20 pm
Just so you know, it might be more sensitive if instead of saying a good hechsher, not like the OU, you just asked if anyone knows if a restaurant under xyz.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 11:08 pm
amother Crocus wrote:

If it is not OU than it’s under a local rabbi. I live in the city so I knew these rabbis. But you won’t find an Manhattan restaurant under random boro park rabbis hechsher

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 11:14 pm
amother Crocus wrote:

Name a Glatt meat restaurant in Manhattan that is not under the OU.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 11:39 pm
Some are chuf k. But that may be too treif for your husband also.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 11:53 pm
Most are OU but many, if not most, have chassidish shechita which is good for us. As long as there's a mashgiach on site all the time, we're ok eating there.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 12:00 am
amother OP wrote:
Looking for a restaurant to go to in Manhattan that has a good Hechsher like Tartikov. (DH won’t eat at a restaurant that only has an OU).

My husband is very makpid too- on his vegetables and his meat. We made calls before we went out and my husband ended up speaking to some mashgichim. Most were Williamsburg chassidish mashgichim who checked the vegetables themselves. The meats are usually Solomons. At the end my husband said he was more comfortable seeing that the mashgiach temidi was a yiras shomayim then just trusting the local hechsher blindly.

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 12:23 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Just so you know, it might be more sensitive if instead of saying a good hechsher, not like the OU, you just asked if anyone knows if a restaurant under xyz.

This. How rude.

It's nice that you are so makpid on your hecshers, but it's awful that you are insulting to other frum Jews. Which is more important?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 12:31 am
DrMom wrote:
This. How rude.

It's nice that you are so makpid on your hecshers, but it's awful that you are insulting to other frum Jews. Which is more important?

Oy, stop nitpicking on wording and don't take everything so personally. I promise you OP didn't mean to be hurtful.

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 12:53 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
Oy, stop nitpicking on wording and don't take everything so personally. I promise you OP didn't mean to be hurtful.

Maybe people should start thinking at least half as much about what comes OUT of their mouths as what goes IN.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 2:58 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
My husband is very makpid too- on his vegetables and his meat. We made calls before we went out and my husband ended up speaking to some mashgichim. Most were Williamsburg chassidish mashgichim who checked the vegetables themselves. The meats are usually Solomons. At the end my husband said he was more comfortable seeing that the mashgiach temidi was a yiras shomayim then just trusting the local hechsher blindly.

This exactly. You can also ask the Mashgiach to put your meat on the flame/in the oven. Many Sefardim are Makpid on this.
You can also call the OU and ask them your questions. They have amazing systems and know what's going on in all their establishments. I don't want to compare hechsherim but often some of the hechsherism that sound more "mehadrin" are much less reliable.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 3:50 am
Deli Kasbah is under the OK and has chassidishe shechita.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 4:41 am
Thanks for the replies, sorry if I sounded rude. I’m actually ok eating anywhere with a Hechsher it’s DH who’s a stickler. All Hechsherim are great in my eyes, sorry again didn’t mean to offend anyone (didn’t write a specific Hechsher cuz honestly don’t know them all and DH is ok with most so that was the easiest way to word it, we eat OU just not OU meat)

I like the idea of calling about the Mashgiach, have to ask DH if he’s ok with that.

Again sorry about the wording (honestly OU is my favorite Hechsher since you can always find it all over the US, learnt the hard way in Europe that not everyone is so lucky)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 4:44 am
amother Mimosa wrote:

Oh didn’t realize OU is more relative to Manhattan in that sense. Funnily we eat Vaad of Flatbush and the Vaad of wherever we are but for some reason OU meats DH doesn’t agree on.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 4:46 am
amother Coffee wrote:
Some are chuf k. But that may be too treif for your husband also.

Not sure why you’re getting offended no where did I say other Hechsherim are treif. Trying to please my husband here since honestly any Hechsher works for me.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 9:30 am
DrMom wrote:
Maybe people should start thinking at least half as much about what comes OUT of their mouths as what goes IN.

Oh my. You need to stop thinking that everyone is out to get you and stop taking everything so personally.

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 9:34 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
Oh my. You need to stop thinking that everyone is out to get you and stop taking everything so personally.

Maybe you don’t realize how offensive it is to say that OU is not a good hechsher.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries