Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Help with anti-psoriasis diet

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 11:40 am
Can anyone help with a diet to fight psoriasis?

Right now we're good with oatmeal, blueberries, and almond milk for breakfast, and quinoa, nuts, green veggies, sweet potatoes, brown rice, chumus, fruit, tuna, salmon, chicken, and turkey.

Can anyone suggest a substitute (texture and flavor) for tomato sauce and ketchup?

Any other ideas? What about easy snacks?

Has anyone found diet to be really helpful for psoriasis? Any other tips?

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 1:06 pm
Autoimmune paleo (aip)
But that would eliminate grains and nuts so no quinoa. Almond milk etc

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 1:11 pm
My husband does very low carb, not processed and avoids dairy. Ymmv.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 1:28 pm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....365/#!po=0.458716

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 2:23 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8016365/#!po=0.458716

This study has enough limitations that it should not be used as an example.

This is not sustainable and was done by a nutrition supplement company. This is not a realistic answer. You need to read studies not just post stuff that has What you want in the title.

Anyone reading this knows I am very pro low carb but this study is too limited and conflicted to count for anything.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Tue, Aug 23 2022, 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 2:25 pm
Double post

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Tue, Aug 23 2022, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 3:51 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Autoimmune paleo (aip)
But that would eliminate grains and nuts so no quinoa. Almond milk etc
I second this. Or gaps or scd.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 12:58 pm
Thanks so much to everyone who responded!

I see the diets mentioned are much more restrictive than we were recommended. Our 'rules' were to avoid nightshades, sugar, red meat, processed foods, and refined carbs. Also, she should increase seeds, nuts, whole grains, and berries since they have anti-inflammatory properties and can be helpful.

This is for my teen dd who can't afford to lose weight, so perhaps that's why she is not being encouraged to limit carbs as long as they're the 'right' carbs. Also, having read the other psoriasis thread, it seems that dd's is very mild bH. She just has several small spots, considerably less than 1% of her skin, and not flaking. She had Covid in June and we strongly suspect that it triggered the psoriasis, but it's stubbornly hanging on and we are trying to clear it naturally.

We're definitely not ready to further restrict her diet if her calories will be restricted, and are davening that it won't be necessary. If so, we'd definitely need to work with her pediatrician and a nutritionist. Oy, I can't even think about it now!

She was also told that sunlight is very helpful but her area is mostly covered (only exposed when she goes swimming). Has anyone tried uv lights? Can anyone recommend a lamp?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 1:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much to everyone who responded!

I see the diets mentioned are much more restrictive than we were recommended. Our 'rules' were to avoid nightshades, sugar, red meat, processed foods, and refined carbs. Also, she should increase seeds, nuts, whole grains, and berries since they have anti-inflammatory properties and can be helpful.

This is for my teen dd who can't afford to lose weight, so perhaps that's why she is not being encouraged to limit carbs as long as they're the 'right' carbs. Also, having read the other psoriasis thread, it seems that dd's is very mild bH. She just has several small spots, considerably less than 1% of her skin, and not flaking. She had Covid in June and we strongly suspect that it triggered the psoriasis, but it's stubbornly hanging on and we are trying to clear it naturally.

We're definitely not ready to further restrict her diet if her calories will be restricted, and are davening that it won't be necessary. If so, we'd definitely need to work with her pediatrician and a nutritionist. Oy, I can't even think about it now!

She was also told that sunlight is very helpful but her area is mostly covered (only exposed when she goes swimming). Has anyone tried uv lights? Can anyone recommend a lamp?

Low carb does not mean low calorie but everyone has to do what works for them. No two people have the same triggers for this. This is truly a situation where YMMV is accurate

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 2:35 pm
Have the psoriasis biopsied for celiac.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 3:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can anyone help with a diet to fight psoriasis?

Right now we're good with oatmeal, blueberries, and almond milk for breakfast, and quinoa, nuts, green veggies, sweet potatoes, brown rice, chumus, fruit, tuna, salmon, chicken, and turkey.

Can anyone suggest a substitute (texture and flavor) for tomato sauce and ketchup?

Any other ideas? What about easy snacks?

Has anyone found diet to be really helpful for psoriasis? Any other tips?

Are you nightshade free? Can you have fruits and sweeteners? What about butternut squash?
I have some ideas for ketchup and tomato sauce substitutes.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Aug 25 2022, 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 4:02 pm
have her assessed for infection... this is how it started for a family member of mine - turned out they had a strep infection. Similar for me, strep and staph infection in my skin Sad Bh with antibiotics and 6 months of low inflammatory diet it resolved nearly in full, only stayed on my scalp (but mild).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:55 am
Wow, I just came back now(dealing with a serious medical emergency with a younger child) and appreciate all the responses.
I'm really proud of and impressed with the way dd stuck with her restrictions when I wasn'talways able to cook special foods for her. She's starting to see some improvement after being really careful for 4 months. We were told it takes about 6 months to heal 'from the inside out' so this is encouraging.

Slippery elm seems to be really helpful.

Ra mom, she's nightshade free but is okay with all fruits, butternut squash, and can use honey and coconut sugar as sweeteners.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:10 am
This is very interesting. I always found that my psoriasis was more stress related than diet related.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise