Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
ISO Research or Studies - Parenting

Do you agree with this idea
Yes  
 87%  [ 7 ]
No  
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 2:09 pm
I’m looking for reliable research and statistics that backs up the idea that children without proper parenting/ authority in their life to protect them will grow up with insecurities and anxiety.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 2:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m looking for reliable research and statistics that backs up the idea that children without proper parenting/ authority in their life to protect them will grow up with insecurities and anxiety.
100% I agree with you. My husband grew up in an abusing and dysfunctional household. He suffers from low self esteem, anxiety, depression, anger. And while only one parent actually did the abuse, the other parent never stopped it so he had no real parent who parented correctly at all.

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 8:15 am
amother OP wrote:

In saying the above are you also saying that children with proper parenting/authority won't have insecurities/anxiety bc that I cannot agree with, since my parents were great and amazing in that way but I still have anxiety and insecurities

What is the point in asking for this, is it that you want to make sure you are a proper parent/authority OR is it that you don't want to have your kids grow up with anxiety and insecurity ..... Bc the second one is not a given.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 8:58 am
Not "parenting or authority" the way you phrased it- but the entire body of research on attachment is basically this. Babies and kids need attachment figures who are safe and loving people in order to develop secure attachment, insecure attachment looks like anxiety or avoidance in relationships.

ora_43

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 9:31 am
amother OP wrote:

Could you clarify this a little?

"Parenting/authority" - what does "authority" mean here? Are you talking about an authoritarian style of parenting? Or does this just mean "parent or other caretaker"?

"Protect them" in what sense? There's a whole spectrum from total anarchy (eg kids chv"s growing up orphans in war zones) to a kind of 'benign neglect' parenting where the parents are loving and kind but set few if any rules and don't really see it as their job to protect (older) kids from their own risky behavior. Which do you mean?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics