Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Recipe for Blueberry/Strawberry Claufoutis?

Beautiful

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 3:21 pm
Hi, I'm looking for a recipe about 15-20 years old. I think it was in one of the Jewish cookbooks. It was a blueberry (and strawberry?) claufutis, not sure of the spelling. I vaguely recall the crust had vinegar. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I looked in the 2 KBDs that I have but it's not there. If you have it please share. Thanks!!

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 4:24 pm
Yes sorry as I was confusing clafoutis with galette LOL LOL Can't Believe It Can't Believe It My brain was a bit addled at the moment. Pie crust with vinegar is accurate though. 😀🤫
A galette (edited) is a certain kind of "pie" - it is very rustic because it is handshaped.

In terms of the crust the addition of vinegar is interesting because I have a no-fail pie crust that uses a tablespoon of vinegar and an egg yolk. This insures a very flaky result even if one mauls the pie crust because with a more traditional pie crust you have to be very careful to handle it gently or else it isn't the delicious flaky thing it is supposed to be. It also uses shortening which has a higher melting point so helps ensure that the crust is flakey since the solid fat creates part of the flakiness before it melts.

I have also seen versions of the vinegar recipe using vodka which is supposed to have the same chemical synergy in terms of the flakiness but I have only made the one with vinegar

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Aug 26 2022, 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

etky

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 12:56 am
Clafoutis does not have crust. It is not a pie, rather a custardy baked pudding made with fruit and an eggy batter.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 1:01 am
etky wrote:
Clafoutis does not have crust. It is not a pie, rather a custardy baked pudding made with fruit and an eggy batter.

I don't think I've ever even heard of clafoutis, but nu? Is someone going to post a recipe or what?

etky

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 1:37 am
I think that OP might be confusing a clafoutis with a galette?
The latter is an open, free-form shaped rustic fruit pie.
I also seem to remember a recipe for one in one of the KBD books.
Not sure of the crust had vinegar or not.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 3:58 am
WhatFor wrote:
I don't think I've ever even heard of clafoutis, but nu? Is someone going to post a recipe or what?

It's not the recipe the OP is looking for, but this will give you an idea of what it is.

https://prettysimplesweet.com/clafoutis/

imaima

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 4:55 am
Beautiful wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for a recipe about 15-20 years old. I think it was in one of the Jewish cookbooks. It was a blueberry (and strawberry?) claufutis, not sure of the spelling. I vaguely recall the crust had vinegar. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I looked in the 2 KBDs that I have but it's not there. If you have it please share. Thanks!!

I saw something similar in the Smitten Kitchen cookbook.

The dough has vinegar and it is a handshaped pie.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins