Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How are you frugal?
1  2  3  Next

RedVines

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 10:55 am
In terms of grocery shopping, your dinner menu etc.

I try to make sure I have a detailed shopping list before I go to the store so as not to throw things in, but I know I could be better.

Any tips...what do you do?

mammam

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 11:04 am
and why is this post in marreid life section?

RedVines

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 11:28 am
I thought it fit but it can be moved.

stem

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 11:31 am
Use coupons, base your menu around what's on sale.

SV

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 11:36 am
Quote:
base your menu around what's on sale

doesn't everybody do that?

I also buy generic brands, including food.

Frumom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 11:47 am
Ive been thinking that I should make a menu for the week cuz were always running to the store

tzivi

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 12:14 pm
I have a general menu for the week, for example; Monday fish, Tuesday chicken, etc. That way I have some idea of what I am going to make, even though I can still vary it.

I also shop in bulk, from the kosher importers, so I don't run out and go to the local shops, which works out to be more expensive.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 12:18 pm
anonymous only b/c of item 15!

1. I try to buy only what's on sale that week and stock up so I don't run out of things. When I do have to buy at regular price I feel so bad!

2. Compare unit prices: the larger size is usually but not always a better deal per unit. Esp. if the small size is on sale it may be better.

3. I try to know prices so if I see something in my travels I will know if it's a good buy or not.

4. Try to fill the oven when using it. Bake one cake at a time and heat up a big oven to do it? Bist meshugeh? I make 6 loaf pans of cake or two roasting pans of chicken at a time and freeze what I'm not using right away.

5. I usually avoid prepackaged produce, both b/c I prefer to select my own and b/c I may want more or less than the 6 apples or 8 plums they package in the tray.

6. there's usually a direct tradeoff between price and convenience. I make most of our food from scratch or nearly so, but it does take more time. I make my own "semi-convenience" foods by partly processing things in bulk. I cut up or chop onions, garlic and soup veggies and freeze them, so when it's time to make soup all I do is grab a handful and dump it in.

7. When I'm not too lazy, I cut open "empty" toothpaste tubes and scoop up the toothpaste that's left inside. in a 6-oz. tube there is usually enough for one person for a couple of days.

8. I avoid brand loyalties. Generic is the way to go unless we find that the brand name really works or tastes better.

9. I don't buy books! Well, ok, I rarely buy books. B"H my town has an excellent public library, and I must be their best customer.

10. I don't buy "stam" souvenirs. If I buy a souvenir at all it must be something that I will use and preferably something I actually need.

11. I don't go to the ATM all the time. I take out a certain amount every week, based on anticipated expenses for that week, and stay away the rest of the time.

12. I use credit cards only for major shopping trips or for ordering by phone, only to the extent that I can pay, and only so that I need not carry large sums of cash. I pay the bill in full every time and do not charge anything I don't have the money to buy.

13. I use disposables as seldom as possible.

14. I dilute dishwashing liquid except for the very greasiest items that really need full-strength. saves both detergent and water, as the straight stuff takes much more rinsing. Ditto shampoo and conditioner.

15. I re-gift things that are not from close friends or relatives. Hostess shabbos gifts that I am not going to use (candy dishes, vases, fancy corkscrews) go into the "gift pool" for the children to bring along when they go somewhere for shabbos. When it's in storage, each item is labeled with the giver's name to avoid giving someone back the gift they sent us embarrassed The label comes off before the gift is wrapped for someone else, of course.

16. I have flexible menus. that is, if I usually make a certain dish but something else is on sale at the time, I will substitute if appropriate.

What I don't do but would if I knew how:
1. Repair appliances, fixtures, plumbing, wiring, etc.
2. Build furniture
3. Make clothes (I could do it but it would look like I did, if you know what I mean) LOL

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 12:42 pm
Amother I liked all your suggestions. even #15

RedVines

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 2:26 pm
Thanks amother: really great tips!

I also always bake and we rarely buy packged goodies, always bake callah and desserts, eat leftovers, etc.

shoy18

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 2:31 pm
7. When I'm not too lazy, I cut open "empty" toothpaste tubes and scoop up the toothpaste that's left inside. in a 6-oz. tube there is usually enough for one person for a couple of days.

they make a toothpaste pusher, it costs maybe 99 cents and it pushes out all toothpaste as you use it you slide it forward and thier is absolutly NO wasting, I mena when the toothpaste is finished thier is nothing left. they sell it in walmart or shoprite.

deedee

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 2:37 pm
sundays newspaper always has cupons that usually correspond to what is on sale that week in CVS and walgreens. I am also a member at CVS and am always getting extra cupons from them-ones that come attached to my receipt and ones that come in the mail. reciently I went to CVS armed with all my cupons....a 28$ order (including diapers) cost me 12$! another time I bought toothpaste with coupons and they paid me .01!!!!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 5:17 pm
I do the mail-in rebates...just make sure you don't buy something you really don't need because it's on a sale!!
amother, you have a lot to teach us!!

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 5:29 pm
No name brands incl most food items

technic

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 5:39 pm
2day I decided that economising had gone 2 far when I found a teabag in the dishwasher - only fresh ones in future!!! embarrassed

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:11 pm
Tech Rolling Laughter

chen

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:33 pm
technic wrote:
2day I decided that economising had gone 2 far when I found a teabag in the dishwasher - only fresh ones in future!!! embarrassed

ROFL!

(Though you could collect used teabags to dye dingy white cotton, silk or wool a nice shade of ecru... Wink )

technic

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:40 pm
NOW u tell me? I just threw it out!!! Rolling Laughter

JEWISHMAMA

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 4:23 am
You guys are a riot!

Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 5:04 am
Quote:
technic wrote:
NOW u tell me? I just threw it out!!! Rolling Laughter

Nervous