Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
If a store closes at a certain time….
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:09 pm
Don’t make your way over 5 minutes to closing!
My DH works in retail, mens clothing store. Yes, it’s Yom Tov time and busiest time of the year. But why, when I dropped something off for him tonight at 10:00 (when they officially close) did I count EIGHT people going into the store? The people that work there also have a life. (And a pregnant and overwhelmed wife at home on a Thursday night….)

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:11 pm
Most stores no longer allow you in 5 minutes before they close. It's on the stores employees to enforce this rule not the customer.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:14 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
Most stores no longer allow you in 5 minutes before they close. It's on the stores employees to enforce this rule not the customer.

Well, yes, but the customer should have sense too. I always move to checkout by 15 minutes before closing at the latest when I shop.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:15 pm
Why don't they lock the door from the inside about 20 minutes before closing? That way everyone inside can leave, but no one else can come in.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:16 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Why don't they lock the door from the inside about 20 minutes before closing? That way everyone inside can leave, but no one else can come in.

The boss doesn’t let during the busy seasons 😩

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:20 pm
I have been told in frum stores that the store closes in 15 minutes and no more checkout will be done after that time.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:27 pm
Ugh I hated that about retail when my husband worked in a store.
Every. Freaking. Day. Closing time was the busiest.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:32 pm
amother OP wrote:

If it's just during busy season, then it may be something you need to put up with temporarily. I hope the boss at least gives him overtime pay or a nice bonus.
My dh is also in a field that is busier yom tov time, and at this point I just expect it and try to deal with it as best as I can (for example hire more cleaning help, cook very simple meals for yom tov etc)

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

He needs to take it up with his boss then. I'm not sure why you're blaming customers who probably don't even know when closing time is. They see the door open so they walk in.
Also, appreciate that your husband has predictable hours most of the year. Most jobs come with seasons that are busier and require overtime during those times.

amother
Cognac

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 12:40 am
If your store's posted hours online or in print ads are longer than the actual hours, you can expect customers to show up late.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 12:43 am
The store needs to have policies in place. They need to close the doors a few minutes before and then empty the store.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 1:01 am
Sorry but if you close at 6:30, I can walk in at 6:29. Open means open doors.
If you want customers out by 6:30, then say you’re open until 6, or 6:15 etc and lock the doors at that time.

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 1:11 am
amother Cobalt wrote:
Sorry but if you close at 6:30, I can walk in at 6:30. Open means open doors.
If you want customers out by 6:30, then say you’re open until 6, or 6:15 etc and lox the doors at that time.

That's a strange interpretation of business hours. Closing at 6:30 means locking the door at 6:30. That in turn means, everyone has to be out the door at 6:30. Many stores will inform you of just that if you walk thru the doors minutes before closing.

I'm curious why you assume that if a business says they're open till 6:30, that it refers to the last walk-in, and they actually stay open later than the posted hours. Is that how businesses operate in your area?

amother
Cognac

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 1:16 am
Though closing does mean closing, businesses should post last entry time in addition to hours, because it varies based on the individual business.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 1:45 am
amother Cobalt wrote:
If you want customers out by 6:30, then say you’re open until 6, or 6:15 etc and lock the doors at that time.

That’s a ridiculous assumption. Most stores stop letting people in 15 minutes before closing time and it’s totally your problem if you come at the last second. In this case it’s the bosses fault for being greedy and forcing his employees to work overtime without that being agreed upon.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 2:14 am
amother Cobalt wrote:

You can walk in to target a minute to closing but you probably wouldn’t get much shopping done.

DrMom

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 3:34 am
amother Cobalt wrote:

If I want to run into a corner store a minute before closing and pick up a carton on milk, I don't see the problem.

Of course, if I walk into a clothing store 1 minute before closing and need to try things on and request help from the sales staff, it's rude of me to expect the staff to wait around after hours to wait on me.

But maybe I just want to check the price tag of the nice dress I saw in the window and come back tomorrow and purchase it when I have more time? I don't see any reason not to let a customer in during business hours.

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 3:43 am
If a store has hours I think it’s very disrespectful to the customer to lock the door before. If it’s same day money back or three day store credit why would I assume I need more than three minutes?
The store can have whatever policy they like but please write it on the door your add and google

singleagain

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 7:47 am
I just had to close this week Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday ... The way I do it is at around 10 mins to close (except when I didn't notice the time) I shut the music. Which is a good indication that the store is closing.

I also have one of the workers go around and let the shoppers know that we are closing soon.

At that time, we also go close the open refrigerator curtains and lock the doors.

Thursday night I haven't had to close in a long time, but it is busier.... I'll have to ask if he ever stays a bit later...

And one time on a Friday I was about to lock up when someone did come running up and needed just one thing so I let them in. And took care of it myself. But I think I also asked how they would pay, bc the cash drawers were already locked away. So credit card was easiest.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 8:03 am
Most stores lock their doors a few minutes before closing time.
I was in a very busy shoe store yesterday. It closed at 6pm. At 5:45 they locked the door. Yes, they would probably make more business if they didn’t lock up but that’s their decision.
Same way it’s the decision not to lock the door where your husband works a few minutes before 10. People who walked in at 10 didn’t do anything wrong if the store owner let them in when they opened the door at 10pm. I hope your husband is getting paid by the hour because it looks like he’ll be earning a lot more money over the next month or so. If you tell yourself in advance that closing time is at 11 instead of 10 you’ll probably be able to handle it better.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette