Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler with strep

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 9:21 pm
My 17 month old tested positive for strep today after refusing to eat, fever, fussy, etc. I think my husband and I have it too. I’m just surprised because I keep reading everywhere online that is rare in children under 3. Has anyone else had a child under 3 with strep? I’m worrying a bit about his immune system because it’s apparently rare so I’m wondering if it’s truly as rare as the internet says it is Smile. He’s in a daycare that is mixed with older kids at the end of the day for aftercare so I’m guessing that’s where he got it.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 9:23 pm
my ped doesnt test children under 2 for strep bec apparently it always goes away on its own. over that age it sometimes doesnt

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 9:40 pm
It's not rare under the age of 3.

It's just that under the age of 2 or 3 (depends on your ped), it generally does not have to be treated, due to no risk of rheumatic fever (which can occur in untreated strep in ages older than that).

Depending on your circumstance, the ped may decide to treat it anyway (I.e. if the child is miserable, if the child is spreading it to older children, etc)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 9:46 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
It's not rare under the age of 3.

It's just that under the age of 2 or 3 (depends on your ped), it generally does not have to be treated, due to no risk of rheumatic fever (which can occur in untreated strep in ages older than that).

Depending on your circumstance, the ped may decide to treat it anyway (I.e. if the child is miserable, if the child is spreading it to older children, etc)

Oh okay that makes more sense!
Yeah he’s really not eating and drinking well so I feel like he needs the antibiotics

tweety1

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 6:48 am
amother Stoneblue wrote:
my ped doesnt test children under 2 for strep bec apparently it always goes away on its own. over that age it sometimes doesnt

Well my pediatrician used to say the same untill I had a 14 month old with a positive culture and a white count over 30. You bet the dr treated it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics