Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Muffin Pan Tuna Melts

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 3:28 pm
Made these for lunch and everyone got a kick out of them - definitely elevated the tuna salad sandwich considerably.

Really easy although they seem to be complicated - you use a slice of bread as the "crust" in the muffin tins; add tuna salad and top with cheese - and then bake so the cheese melts and the bread gets crispy. Cool I've added a picture to show. The recipe has a pretty decent recipe for tuna salad but obviously just use your own if your recipe is better but lemon, mustard and a bit of onion is pretty standard for a tasty tuna salad.

Also the recipe calls for whole wheat bread which might be a way to *trick* your kids into eating whole wheat bread if they otherwise demand white bread.

MUFFIN PAN TUNA MELTS

Excerpt From: Jan Scott - Oven to Table

KID FRIENDLY, QUICK COOKING

I’m not a fan of warm tuna sandwiches, but the same cannot be said for my kids, who love tuna melts for lunch. I try to understand their affection because what’s not to love about oozy, melted cheese and crisp, golden toast and tuna dolled up with mustard, mayonnaise, and lemon juice? Making these in a muffin tin is a fun twist on an otherwise classic creation; if you have little ones, they will have fun measuring and mixing the ingredients to make these sandwiches with you.

Makes 12 melts; serves 4 to 6 adults or 6 to 12 children

6 tablespoons (90 mL) unsalted butter, melted, divided
12 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed
2 cans (6 ounces/170 g each) chunk white tuna packed in water, drained
2 tablespoons (30 mL) minced celery
2 tablespoons (30 mL) minced red onion
⅓ cup (85 mL) mayonnaise
1 tablespoon (15 mL) whole grain mustard
½ teaspoon (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
Kosher salt
¾ cup (175 mL) grated Monterey Jack cheese
Fresh dill sprigs, for garnish

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly butter a standard 12-cup muffin tin with 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of the melted butter. Brush the remaining 3 tablespoons (45 mL) butter over one side of the bread slices and press the bread into the prepared muffin cups, buttered sides up.

2. In a medium bowl, break up the tuna with a fork. Stir in the celery, onion, mayonnaise, mustard, pepper, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season with salt to taste.

3. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons (30 to 45 mL) of the tuna mixture into each bread-lined muffin cup. Top with the Monterey Jack, dividing the cheese evenly between the 12 cups.

4. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until the filling is hot and the cheese is bubbling. Remove the muffin tin from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Garnish the melts with dill sprigs and serve immediately.

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics