Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Orthodontist- over bite or extractions

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 27 2022, 11:33 pm
Orthodontist said that dd has crowding and our choices are extractions or we can fit the teeth but dd will have a slight overbite. Anyone with experience with this that can advise? Thanks

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sat, Aug 27 2022, 11:55 pm
Go to an airway informed orthodontist. Extraction is an awful fix for a crowded mouth, it just makes a smaller jaw even smaller.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 27 2022, 11:58 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
Go to an airway informed orthodontist. Extraction is an awful fix for a crowded mouth, it just makes a smaller jaw even smaller.

What would you suggest then? Thanks

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 12:09 am
amother OP wrote:
Expansion so that there is room for all the teeth. Airway informed orthodontists have many more options for getting this done than regular orthodontists.

Also myofunctional therapy

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 12:15 am
Expansion so that there is room for all the teeth. Airway informed orthodontists have many more options for getting this done than regular orthodontists.

Also myofunctional therapy

Thanks! Dd did a pallete expander already. Are there am more options besides for that?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 12:27 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! Dd did a pallete expander already. Are there am more options besides for that?
Other types of expansion. Yes. Look into Alf, myobrace, biobloc, MSE expansion, as well as myofunctional therapy and possibly revision of oral ties?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 12:32 am
Reach out to dr Barry Raphael

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 12:45 am
Please go for a second opinion.

My kids had expanders for crowded teeth. Bh they have a beautiful smile.

My sil had teeth removed. As she got older she developed space between teeth. She is very unhappy that teeth were removed.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 1:48 pm
My entire family (8 children) including myself had teeth removed and we all have beautiful smiles

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 8:58 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
My entire family (8 children) including myself had teeth removed and we all have beautiful smiles
No offense to your family and I hope everyone is healthy but there’s more to mouths, jaws and airways than aesthetics.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 9:19 pm
No offense to your family and I hope everyone is healthy but there’s more to mouths, jaws and airways than aesthetics.

Idk we are all adults and bh no health concerns in any of us

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:08 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
Idk we are all adults and bh no health concerns in any of us
You’re very lucky. Often people with small jaws and extractions end up with lots of cavities, snoring, sleep apnea, recurrent throat infections, spinal issues and so on.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:12 pm
You’re very lucky. Often people with small jaws and extractions end up with lots of cavities, snoring, sleep apnea, recurrent throat infections, spinal issues and so on.

We have very large teeth. Not small jaws. That’s probably why

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:14 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
Possibly. Still, ideally a jaw should fit all teeth.

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 3:05 am
amother Buttercup wrote:

My dh has very large teeth and had 4 (I think) pulled and then braces. My 6 and 8 year olds seem to have gotten his teeth, based on the adult ones already in. They are very crowded already, and most of their teeth are still baby teeth. Are palate expanders used for large teeth or for a different issue?

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 3:09 am
amother OP wrote:

My orthodontist offered for my son to slightly shave off (for the lack of a better word) a layer of enamel on the sides of the teeth to fit them all in.
But in our case it was enough

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 3:18 am
I can contribute to this conversation. I have a crowded mouth. Large teeth! My orthodontist did not pull my teeth and I regret it. I still had a crowded mouth and an overbite. After that orthodontist a second orthodontist did what the poster above mentioned where he narrowed my front teeth by shaving them down and that gave a little space to move them back a little, but I still have an overbite. My kids have inherited my very large teeth and so far theyve had extractions of permanent teeth and they look good BH. I wish I had the extractions. I'm sure there's more to it if the small jaw is the issue rather than the large teeth being the issue
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics