Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Help me figure out what jewelry is appropriate for my age
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:17 am
I’m want to buy a necklace and possibly bracelet that I can wear every day AND shabbos (I’m not the type who will be switching I’ll just wear 365 days most likely). I have no clue what’s appropriate for an adult (I’m in my 40s) and is not for young girls. Should I go by price (meaning assume if it’s cheaper it’s for teens?) I seriously have no clue about these things. Money is not an issue but I don’t want to stand out as TOO ostentatious. Every 20 year old I see is wearing diamond necklaces etc so I’m not sure what might be considered too fancy.
Not sure I’m explaining myself well but just looking to buy something that is what a “typical” comfortable middle aged woman would wear every day… (and doesn’t look like what you’d buy as a bas mitzvah gift but also won’t make people talk about how fancy I am. Because I’m not) but I don’t want to spend a lot of money on something that’s really only appropriate for wealthy women to wear to weddings.

pinkpeonies

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:19 am
Why don’t you just go to the Jewelery store with a price range and pick out what you want? Then wear it with confidence and not care if anyone thinks you’re too young or too fancy?

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:32 am
It's more about finding something suited to your build and overall style than your age. Older women tend to wear larger jewelry than 12-year-olds, and more flamboyant women tend to wear bigger and flashier things. If you're very petite and dress conservatively, big jewelry will look horsey on you.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:33 am
pinkpeonies wrote:
Why don’t you just go to the Jewelery store with a price range and pick out what you want? Then wear it with confidence and not care if anyone thinks you’re too young or too fancy?
Because she does care.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:47 am
Buy what you like. Zehu

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:52 am
amother Chestnut wrote:
Buy what you like. Zehu

But do by a timeless piece, classic, since this is going to be something special

lamplighter

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:53 am
The trend now seems to be very delicate jewelry that looks like bas mitzvah jewelry IMHO.

Alternative

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 12:06 pm
lamplighter wrote:
The trend now seems to be very delicate jewelry that looks like bas mitzvah jewelry IMHO.

This only looks good if you have a delicate build.

Alternative

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 12:09 pm
amother OP wrote:

Not sure I’m explaining myself well but just looking to buy something that is what a “typical” comfortable middle aged woman would wear every day…

You have to give some background here. What country, what city, what community, what hashkafa.

Your chabad woman in Crown Heights isn't wearing the same jewelry as a MO woman in Manhattan or a dati leumi one in a yeshuv.
etc etc

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 12:10 pm
Alternative wrote:
You have to give some background here. What country, what city, what community, what hashkafa.

Your chabad woman in Crown Heights isn't wearing the same jewelry as a MO woman in Manhattan or a dati leumi one in a yeshuv.
etc etc

I think I’m typical. I’m 44. Most days I wear only pearl studs. I live and work in Manhattan

OP you definitely have to identify where you live and what community you’re a part of for more targeted responses

amother
Celeste

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 12:30 pm
Get a tennis necklace, stones all the same size (graduated is too fancy for every day) at least 10 pointers each.
It’s very classic and will retain its value. You can make them into something else if you get bored.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 1:51 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
I think I’m typical. I’m 44. Most days I wear only pearl studs. I live and work in Manhattan

OP you definitely have to identify where you live and what community you’re a part of for more targeted responses

JPF, tri state area. Part of the yeshivish community. For those that say build makes a difference I’m average sized. Definitely not petite and delicate but not particularly overweight or very tall either.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 1:52 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
Get a tennis necklace, stones all the same size (graduated is too fancy for every day) at least 10 pointers each.
It’s very classic and will retain its value. You can make them into something else if you get bored.

This was helpful thank you (I’d never realize graduated was dressy and uniform sized isn’t and appreciate that information). What does “at least 10 pointers each” mean?

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 1:55 pm
Solitaire or that style is classic and you can never go wrong with that. Same for tennis bracelet.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 1:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
This was helpful thank you (I’d never realize graduated was dressy and uniform sized isn’t and appreciate that information). What does “at least 10 pointers each” mean?

It's the size of the diamonds. 1/10 of a carat.

If you go to a local jeweler or look at their Instagram page you can get a sense of whats trendy vs classic and you can also talk to the jeweler in person.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:00 pm
Also…. now that I googled ten pointer tennis necklaces I need to amend my op. I wrote that money isn’t an object because it isn’t financially. But I absolutely do not want to walk around every day in a $10k+ necklace. I just wouldn’t feel comfortable. I was thinking more in the $2k-$3k range up to $5k perhaps… is that an unrealistic budget for what I’m looking for? (Please be honest, it’s okay if it is I’ll probably just forget about the whole idea if that’s the case)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:03 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Solitaire or that style is classic and you can never go wrong with that. Same for tennis bracelet.

I own a tennis bracelet which I rarely wear (when I remember to put it on for weddings I do). I didn’t realize it was typical to wear it for every day!

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
Also…. now that I googled ten pointer tennis necklaces I need to amend my op. I wrote that money isn’t an object because it isn’t financially. But I absolutely do not want to walk around every day in a $10k+ necklace. I just wouldn’t feel comfortable. I was thinking more in the $2k-$3k range up to $5k perhaps… is that an unrealistic budget for what I’m looking for? (Please be honest, it’s okay if it is I’ll probably just forget about the whole idea if that’s the case)

You can get a 10 pointer tennis necklace for under 5k. Don't look online, go to the Jewish stores. In general if you go to the local jewelery store they'll be able to direct you to appropriate options. I have a fashion related store and most people I see wear a pendant necklace for weekday.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:24 pm
What about a Diamond pendant or solitaire necklace? I have and wear daily. I never change it take it off.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:29 pm
SuperWify wrote:
What about a Diamond pendant or solitaire necklace? I have and wear daily. I never change it take it off.

Okay sounds like this is the way to go (and seems good to me). What size solitaire or pendant? What even is the difference between a solitaire and a pendant?

Thank you all so much, you’ve been so helpful. I’ll definitely go to a store and ask the salesperson too but helpful for me to have an idea going in (from people who are NOT trying to sell me something)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics