Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Stroller recommendation for relative who only has one hand?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:18 pm
Ok, I need help for an unusual situation. We have a family member with only one hand (she was born missing half an arm and no hand), and she needs a stroller that she can operate with just one hand:
- Stroller fully appropriate for a newborn
- One stroller handle (not two)
- One handed fold (just one hand, no foot/feet needed)
- One handed recline
- One handed un-recline (for example our old baby jogger reclined with one hand but you needed two hand to put it back up, so it isn't a given)
- Fairly light (light enough that she can lift it one-handed)
- Foot brake (preferably just one), so her only hand doesn't have to deal with this
- Wheels of a decent size and smooth pushing/steering, for sufficient control pushing one-handed
- Ability to attach a carseat with one hand (I don't know if one handed release of the car seat even exists, but if you do, please share)
- Basket (to hold things she can't carry herself to leave her hand free, but not picky on size)
- Big hood to shield baby from sun if possible (this isn't a one handed issue, they just live in a hot sunny climate)

Please keep in mind that these requirements are a must, since she only has one hand, so there isn't flexibility on these items, so please suggest strollers that really fit the criteria.

Thank you!

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:20 pm
I have a friend with one hand. I’ve watched her in awe when she folds and unfolds her BOB stroller one handed. Now I’m used to it. She had a BOB double too when she needed a double. She said the mechanism was easier than other strollers.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:33 pm
I haven't used a stroller for a while but I only bought one hand fold ones and Gracos were always good

giftedmom

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:35 pm
Bugaboo butterfly. Really any travel stroller with a one hand fold but I think this one ranks high.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:41 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Bugaboo butterfly. Really any travel stroller with a one hand fold but I think this one ranks high.

This one is super easy to fold and unfold one handed, however not sure about attaching a car seat to it how easy it would be, and the recline isn’t very flat so recommended for 6 months and up which if attaching a car seat wouldn’t be an issue… huge basket compared to most travel strollers and she can take it on and off an airplane etc..

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 3:07 pm
whatever you choose - weight is important. I have arthritis and at times it's crippling in one hand wrist and shoulder, and find that when I try to borrow and use other people's strollers the heavy ones are very difficult, even if they have a 1 hand fold/unfold feature. I would also echo the call to consider what car seat will be used and if there's a 1 hand easy unlock from the base.

about the push, check out reviews for something like this!

https://www.simplygoodstuff.co......html

Personally I have a diono quantum. It has a 1 handed fold/unfold, and I was able to get a graco car seat and attachment, can unlock with 1 hand and bump it up with my knee while I use the hand to lift the car seat from the base. I've also noticed I can unlock and lift up 1 side at a time of the regular toddler seat (lifting it out of position) and then doing the next one, so I can remove the entire seat with 1 hand. It's slightly heavier than I would like but seems to be good quality and has a wonderful foot brake. I like that I can use it with the graco infant seat which is super lightweight.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 3:09 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
This one is super easy to fold and unfold one handed, however not sure about attaching a car seat to it how easy it would be, and the recline isn’t very flat so recommended for 6 months and up which if attaching a car seat wouldn’t be an issue… huge basket compared to most travel strollers and she can take it on and off an airplane etc..

I think you can buy adapters to attach any car seat and it folds with the adapters

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 3:10 pm
Does she live near stores that she can go try them out? She is probably very capable in figuring out how to manage things and it is probably best for her to be able to try it out herself before making such a big purchase.

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 3:21 pm
giftedmom wrote:

You need 2 hands to recline and sit up & you can't attach a car seat.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 3:28 pm
I used my yoyo for my most recent baby even when he was a newborn (with the bassinet) because I just couldn't go back to a bulky uppa..and yoyo is all one-hand friendly

flower2

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 3:28 pm
I think the valco meets ur criteria- I have the double and it's a one handed fold, raise/lower seat, etc- not sure about car seat though

bsy

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 4:11 pm
flower2 wrote:
I think the valco meets ur criteria- I have the double and it's a one handed fold, raise/lower seat, etc- not sure about car seat though

Valco is one hand recline but not to sit the seat up. At least that's what it is on my double.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 4:17 pm
amother Blush wrote:
Does she live near stores that she can go try them out? She is probably very capable in figuring out how to manage things and it is probably best for her to be able to try it out herself before making such a big purchase.

This. Or she can go to a used children's goods store to "try out" the types they have. Or buy from amazon and return if needed.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 4:21 pm
Check out the joolz aer it’s suitable from birth

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 4:25 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
I used my yoyo for my most recent baby even when he was a newborn (with the bassinet) because I just couldn't go back to a bulky uppa..and yoyo is all one-hand friendly

I have a yoyo, it's NOT one hand friendly. You need 2 hands to fold, recline, sit up.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 4:36 pm
Having one that's car seat friendly might be very beneficial since many one hand folds are with the intention to be holding the baby in the other. She may need baby "parked" in a car seat before baby is old enough to be put down on ground when out of the stroller.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 4:41 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
You need 2 hands to recline and sit up & you can't attach a car seat.

They definitely sell car seat adapters so I’m guessing you can attach a car seat. Also not sure when you need to hands to recline, one handed is easier, using 2 hands to recline just makes it all the more difficult.

For whoever said yoyo is one handed the folding process needs like 3 hands lol definitely not one handed. The reclining of the yoyo is possible to do one handed.

I have both of these.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 4:44 pm
giftedmom wrote:

The butterfly is great. I’m not sure it’s for a newborn though.
It doesn’t lay down totally flat.

They might be making adaptors for a car seat though.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 4:49 pm
Babywearing might be easier than a stroller. Especially for going in and out of a car.

I agree that she should go to a baby store herself and try everything out to see how they work for her.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 6:59 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
The butterfly is great. I’m not sure it’s for a newborn though.
It doesn’t lay down totally flat.

They might be making adaptors for a car seat though.

All bugaboos are 2 handed folds.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics