Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is he too old for his play gym?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 10:21 am
My baby is 4.5 months old and he started occasionally pulling hard on dangly toys until the arch comes down a bit (it doesn't seem to be collapsing though)

Yesterday he tried pulling up the edge of the mat from under him and it seemed a drop dangerous. He also seems to get stuck by the arches when rotating on his tummy/ back

Is he too old for the gym? Mostly concerned about safety

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 10:27 am
He sounds too big, certainly for the arches. I wouldn't fear for his safety though. What exactly are you worried about?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 11:13 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
He sounds too big, certainly for the arches. I wouldn't fear for his safety though. What exactly are you worried about?

Idk first time mom here. It just feels risky like I don't know what will happen next and I need to watch him. When he picked up the edge the whole gym seemed off kilter...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 11:14 am
I would like to use it if it's still safe because he likes the dangly toys. When he's not in it he loses whatever toy he's holding very quickly and starts whimpering and crying because he's bored and doesn't see the toy. Out of sight out of mind.

tichellady

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 11:27 am
sounds too old

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 11:29 am
No not too big. But I would supervise him while he’s playing.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 11:34 am
amother OP wrote:
I would like to use it if it's still safe because he likes the dangly toys. When he's not in it he loses whatever toy he's holding very quickly and starts whimpering and crying because he's bored and doesn't see the toy. Out of sight out of mind.

A little frustration is good for babies, you know. It's one way that they learn, and develop emotional tools. He should be allowed to lose toys sometimes. And they don't get bored. Sometimes they do like to be held, though.

Last edited by BrisketBoss on Tue, Aug 30 2022, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 11:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Idk first time mom here. It just feels risky like I don't know what will happen next and I need to watch him. When he picked up the edge the whole gym seemed off kilter...

I don't know, by personality I'm not a worrier, even as a first time mom I had very few worries (and none that I don't still have, I think), fulfilled very few of the stereotypes.

When you think about it, what is really the worst possible result of a baby gym becoming too off kilter?

gootlfriends

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 11:41 am
First of all, unless a baby is in their crib, they need supervision. None of these toys were designed to be used without supervision. It says so on the package. I am trying to remember how my kids played at that age, my youngest is almost 2. I spent a lot of time next to the mat and holding them at that age.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 11:46 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
A little frustration is good for babies, you know. It's one way that they learn, and develop emotional tools. He should be allowed to lose toys sometimes. And they don't get bored. Sometimes they do like to be held, though.

You're right about the frustration. Just that sometimes I want to get things done and I can't unless he's down playing. (He hates baby carriers)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 11:48 am
gootlfriends wrote:
First of all, unless a baby is in their crib, they need supervision. None of these toys were designed to be used without supervision. It says so on the package. I am trying to remember how my kids played at that age, my youngest is almost 2. I spent a lot of time next to the mat and holding them at that age.

Is it ok if for instance I'm doing laundry, in the kitchen etc. walking around the house and he's playing in the living room? I can hear him the whole time and I check in his direction every 2-3 minutes. He's not really mobile yet, he can roll over but doesn't very frequently and he's just starting to try to scoot a bit. I thought the gym was a safe space for that.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 11:52 am
amother OP wrote:
Is it ok if for instance I'm doing laundry, in the kitchen etc. walking around the house and he's playing in the living room? I can hear him the whole time and I check in his direction every 2-3 minutes. He's not really mobile yet, he can roll over but doesn't very frequently and he's just starting to try to scoot a bit. I thought the gym was a safe space for that.

Yes, it's safe, they have high safety standards. They just have to say not to use without supervision to cover their butts, but no baby toys should require constant vigilance. No parents leave wakeful babies out of their cribs for a long time without checking on them anyway. Babies have needs. Sometimes-checking-on-them is quite sufficient. I wouldn't have extra concern about my baby's welfare just because he was on a play mat that he was a little big for.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 11:59 am
amother OP wrote:

Did you not grow up with little siblings? Don’t worry he’ll do far more dangerous things in the months and years to come. Gyms are soft. They won’t hurt him no matter what he does. Let him do his thing. When he starts scooting off you’ll know it’s no longer needed.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 12:00 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Did you not grow up with little siblings? Don’t worry he’ll do far more dangerous things in the months and years to come. Gyms are soft. They won’t hurt him no matter what he does. Let him do his thing. When he starts scooting off you’ll know it’s no longer needed.

Lol yes Smile

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 12:29 pm
when you know you'll let's say be in kitchen preparing xyz and it'll take some time... maybe just take the mat in kitchen, or right out of the kitchen. that's what I do.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 12:34 pm
I really don't get what could be dangerous. He is laying on the floor right?

Where could he go? What could happen?

tichellady

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 12:47 pm
he could get stuck under the mat.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 12:48 pm
tichellady wrote:
he could get stuck under the mat.

I'm afraid of something like this happening

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 12:49 pm
amother Viola wrote:
when you know you'll let's say be in kitchen preparing xyz and it'll take some time... maybe just take the mat in kitchen, or right out of the kitchen. that's what I do.

That's a good idea. No space in the kitchen but I could bring him into my line of vision.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 12:50 pm
what do you meen by stuck, worst case the mat will end up as his cover... if baby is uncomfortable it will cry... any way don't leave child a very long time without peeking if everything is ok.

make sure to give a peek every now and then.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics