Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Where Can I find section 8 apartments ? (update)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 8:50 am
BH we will be getting approved for a voucher but we don't know how to find a landlord that will accept section eight.

Anyone here have experience with this ?

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 9:15 am
Where in NY?
Elenville or Queens? Brooklyn? Which part of Brooklyn? Makes a big difference.

tweety1

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 4:33 pm
There's a place near Monsey, near New Square forgot what the neighborhood is called; many apartments that people are moving into now with Section 8. People who very recently got approved.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 9:52 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
Where in NY?
Elenville or Queens? Brooklyn? Which part of Brooklyn? Makes a big difference.
We live in Brooklyn But it really makes no difference (as long its a safe and jewish area obviously). It could be boro park kensington crown heights.. I heard that rentals are hard to find these days.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 9:52 am
tweety1 wrote:
There's a place near Monsey, near New Square forgot what the neighborhood is called; many apartments that people are moving into now with Section 8. People who very recently got approved.
Pomona ?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 11:21 am
How do you start or get approved for this?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 12:08 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
How do you start or get approved for this?
There is an income limit based on your family size. I don't remember how we started because it was a while ago but you should search NYCHA or section 8 application online...

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 12:15 pm
its illegal for a landlord not to accept section 8. but landlords will do anything not to get stuck with a tenant on the program. as a real estate agent in brooklyn, I can tell you first hand how difficult section 8 makes it for landlords. many people will rent from a friend or relative who will trust that they will be nice about it. but, according to section 8, you are not allowed to rent from relatives (not sure how far that goes).

I wish you the best of luck in finding an apartment.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 12:24 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
its illegal for a landlord not to accept section 8. but landlords will do anything not to get stuck with a tenant on the program. as a real estate agent in brooklyn, I can tell you first hand how difficult section 8 makes it for landlords. many people will rent from a friend or relative who will trust that they will be nice about it. but, according to section 8, you are not allowed to rent from relatives (not sure how far that goes).

I wish you the best of luck in finding an apartment.

Is it really illegal not to accept ?

bsy

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 12:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it really illegal not to accept ?

I don't know if it's illegal, but the apartment has to qualify. It has specific legal requirements to be allowed for section 8. A relative of mine rents an apartment to a family with section. It's a huge headache and there are many times he doesn't get paid.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 1:21 pm
bsy wrote:
I don't know if it's illegal, but the apartment has to qualify. It has specific legal requirements to be allowed for section 8. A relative of mine rents an apartment to a family with section. It's a huge headache and there are many times he doesn't get paid.

Doesn't get paid by the tenant or section 8 ?

bsy

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 1:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Doesn't get paid by the tenant or section 8 ?

Section 8

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 1:37 pm
Look in all local papers of whichever neighborhood you're looking for, for ads of rentals and call to ask them if they accept sec8

Landlords have a great benefit of taking sec8 tenants cuz the rent flows in.

However having a sec 8 tenant means they have to make sure to pass inspection annually which can cost over 1k before each inspection. We had 1 tiny issue, didn't pass inspection and lost rental payment for that month!

For ex there is absolutely not even a drop of peeled or cracked paint allowed. All drains have to flow easily... Water temperature has to be perfect (not too hot or cool)... Ovens have to work perfectly etc etc.

Another issue that comes up is there are certain requirements in order for apt to be sec8 approved. Every bedroom has to be at least 80sf and must have a window. Some landlords have a room or 2 that don't meet those requirements so you wont get fully covered for those rooms which isn't good for both of you.

Also a sec8 landlord cant evict which could be an issue if the landlord wants the apt. I know of a Jewish landlord/tenant in the midst of this now. Youngish couple bought a 2family house. Took in sec8 tenant so they could eventually afford to take back the apt and extend their house etc... Now the tenant has a family of 10 kids, wrecked the apt, expects the landlord to continue to maintain the apt annually for inspections and refuses to move Can't Believe It

Also in heimish neighborhoods where rent is wayyyyy more than what sec8 covers it becomes an issue that has to be worked out... Like why should they take you into their 3bdrm for 1800 when they could make 4k otherwise?

Gluck on the search.

Einikel

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 1:41 pm
Some landlords prefer section 8 actually.

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 2:24 pm
Are you getting in through NYCHA?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 2:36 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Are you getting in through NYCHA?
Yes. Why ?

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 2:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes. Why ?

Sounded like because you mentioned it before. Good for you!
We also live in NYCHA but my development is not giving it and were chalishing to get out of here but cant afford the insane rents without section 8.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 3:22 pm
Einikel wrote:
Some landlords prefer section 8 actually.
Because....

Where can I find them ?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 6:46 am
Bumping in case anyone has anything else to offer.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 4:49 pm
Just to understand correctly how is the payment from the tenenat and govt. divided ?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries