Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Mold/leak in appartment, landlord not willing to fix

blessedflower

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 1:28 pm
from the day I got the apartment I noticed a mark on the ceiling and was told it's because the painter did a bad job and didn't remove the old paint.
Every winter it gets worse. Last winter it got really bad. I had to move to coach because pieces of plaster fall off all the time. the ceiling is black, brown and many more colors. I had someone check it out and he said there is a leak on the ceiling of the building and the kablan has to fix it. There should be guarantee, but is difficult to deal with them. I asked our landlord several times and he avoids answering or dealing with it. He keeps on pushing us off.
We are very tight financially and I really don't want to move because the market prices went up crazy the past few years. If I move now I will have to pay another 1000 shekels minimum fore the size apartment I have (it's small).
Also the bathtub and my kitchen sinks are full full of mold. It was like that when we moved in but he officially had it fixed... Ha, by adding another layers of silicone on top of the moldy silicone. it lasted for a few months than just came peeling of. I was always very carefull not to ''offend'' the mold. I tried no water or dirt should get there, I touched it the minimum possible eccept for bleach and anti mold stuff. The past year it became really bad. Whenever I wash dishes black pieces of mold fall from the sided of the sink. I hate it.
My toddler needs surgery now to remove his tonsils and adenoids because of breathing issues. He also suffered all the time from yeast infections in his mouth. I stopped nursing him at some point because of that. I think they are both connected to the mold issue. What are my legal options? Anyone know where I can find out.
My siblings claim that by law I don't need to pay rent until he fixes it. I don't want him to kick me out or raise the rent once it's fixed

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 1:33 pm
I don’t know the law in Israel but you need to move yesterday. You and your kids are breathing in toxic air.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 1:36 pm
Honestly I would just fix it myself ( hire someone qualified to deal with mold) since moving will be way more expensive with the increased rent. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

blessedflower

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 1:43 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Honestly I would just fix it myself ( hire someone qualified to deal with mold) since moving will be way more expensive with the increased rent. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
I can really not afford that. apparently there is a hole on the ceiling of the building. I live on the highest floor so it leaks in the winter when it rains. The landlord always sends the same handyman when something needs to be fixed, that person told me it's out of his league and way to expensive.

Is it that dangerous... I can't afford to move. I so badly want to I really hate this apartment by now

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 1:52 pm
You will end up spending so much money on health issues. BTW people say you should even throw everything put from a mold apartment since it will contaminate the next one.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 2:53 pm
blessedflower wrote:
I can really not afford that. apparently there is a hole on the ceiling of the building. I live on the highest floor so it leaks in the winter when it rains. The landlord always sends the same handyman when something needs to be fixed, that person told me it's out of his league and way to expensive.

Is it that dangerous... I can't afford to move. I so badly want to I really hate this apartment by now
The darker the mold, the more dangerous. Please, your health becomes at risk as the mold gets darker and darker. I had a mold issue when I first came to israel. One of my room mates had to move out and became very sick because of the mold issue. Its not a laughing matter. I will say though that the mold around the sink and bathtub should be an easy fix. I forgot the name of the stuff but there is a specific thing to help that situation. But a leak is not something to sneeze about. Good luck, but please look after yours and your loved ones health.

balance

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 2:59 pm
If it's on the roof, go to the vaad bayit. it should be their responsibility. The roof is considered shetach meshutaf. In the meantime, you must get something strong enough to kill the mold. There is a spray you can buy at a tambor which is better than the standard bleach.

Rip off the silicon around the sinks and bathtub, buy a silicon gun and just DIY. Who cares if it's not a good job? as long as it's waterproof. It doesn't sound like the landlord cares.

Mold is no joke.

My neighbors built on my roof and we had mold from their work. I had one kid with pneumonia again and again. Another one with terrible esthma. When we got rid of it, within a month both kids were well again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions