Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Sharing

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 4:00 pm
My almost 3 year old has no concept of sharing. He will walk in middle of a game and grab things he wants. Will pull stuff out of peoples hands and refuse to share from things he has . He will have a complete meltdown if he has to share and cry and scream. I feel it’s a bit more intense then what is age apropriate. He is the oldest and just has a 8 month old little brother so he doesn’t really have to share much at home. Anyone have tips and ideas how to teach him to share??

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 4:13 pm
How is the dynamic between him and his baby brother? Do they share anything? Has he seen baby brother use something that used to be his (that he knows about)?

Coffee beanz

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 4:15 pm
Developmentally speaking children are not really ready to share until after 4 usually. We give them no choice but to share earlier but it is really hard for them.
That being said I would start with turn taking vs. Sharing. You each get to put a block on a tower at a time or put in a puzzle piece. You know your child and their attention span and tolerance so I would start with not making too big of a deal out of it just quickly put your puzzle piece in and then say your turn!

Reciprocal games like ball or pushing a train to each other help as well. Anything where he has to get used to leaving go of something and then getting it back. I would also be proactive if possible and not let him take others things and remind him it is theirs but give him a replacement toy.

Has this gotten harder with the baby? It can start to hit the older sibling more around 6 months as the baby gets older.

Another thing I would do is validate him that it is really hard to share and talk to him about emotions. Supporting him when he is having a hard time is very helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics