Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
In Israel for Tishrei... Please share advice/tips...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 8:17 pm
I'm going to Israel for the entire month of Tishrei with my family.
Please share anything important to pack, things I should know to expect there, money expenses according to America, umm... and whatever else might make it easier.

Thank you! I'm sure many people will benefit!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 9:01 pm
Bumping

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 9:02 pm
Following

salt

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 1:07 am
Bring your yomtov machzorim and selichot books.
Bring cool clothes, it's still boiling here!
It's the best month to be in Israel, especially succot.
Where will you be based?
Are you coming with kids?
Enjoy.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 1:23 am
Well be there too! We've done it in the past

Took an extra suitcase with crafts and entertainment for the kids

I hear paper goods is insanely expensive there so thinking of schlepping that

Dunno if you/your kids are fluent in Hebrew but my kids are clueless so we labeled things around the house in Hebrew for weeks leading up to the trip just for fun

And made a big countdown too

Are you planning on schlepping yt food? Cooking there? Ordering meals/eating out?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 1:25 am
salt wrote:
Bring your yomtov machzorim and selichot books.
Bring cool clothes, it's still boiling here!
It's the best month to be in Israel, especially succot.
Where will you be based?
Are you coming with kids?
Enjoy.

I don't remember needing winter clothes till end of sukkos. Is Jerusalem cold in September? I honestly was planning to take maybe 1 winter set of weekday and 1 sahbbos for all

salt

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 1:26 am
amother Cornsilk wrote:
I don't remember needing winter clothes till end of sukkos. Is Jerusalem cold in September? I honestly was planning to take maybe 1 winter set of weekday and 1 sahbbos for all

Correct, I said take cool clothes, as in clothes that keep you cool.
It's boiling!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 1:38 am
salt wrote:
Correct, I said take cool clothes, as in clothes that keep you cool.
It's boiling!

Great thanks. I was panicking for a moment there. Lol I wasn't planning on schlepping winter stuff

dilego

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 1:59 am
Summerclothes and 1 sweater pp for the evenings.

dilego

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 1:59 am
Arts and crafts you can get at the shekelstore for cheap I dont think its worth the extra case

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 2:15 am
A voltage converter if your country is different than Israel's. Check with your bank to see if they need to know you're traveling. A portable phone charger. A sunhat for small children. Good walking shoes if you're hiking. You might not be able to receive regular text messages - check with the company you use. Make sure to pay utility bills at home, if you don't have automatic payments. Have someone watch your home, take in mail, and maybe start your car, if you have one.If you have prescription medicines, make sure you have enough and have traveling insurance.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 4:03 am
Make sure everyone brings sweaters, its hot during the day but can get chilly at night.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 4:25 am
Depending on where you are planning to daven on the Yamim Nora'im, you may need to purchase seats in advance. Check with the shul you will be going to.

On that note, many shuls have the air conditioning set very high for Rosh HaShana and especially Yom Kippur. Many people take a light scarf or wrap, in case,your seat is in a chilly area.

Last edited by Elfrida on Thu, Sep 01 2022, 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total

chanchy123

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 4:41 am
amother Cornsilk wrote:

You probably won’t need a winter coat yet, but evenings could get chilly in Jerusalem - so definitely bring a light jacket.
Actually it’s already going to be October by the time Succot comes around and you will be outside in the Succa so it’s impossible to predict the weather - not real winter obviously, but might be too cold for summer clothes.
The best policy is layers.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 4:50 am
My kids summer clothes are killed or too small or too summery and dh just announced he booked tickets to Israel. Long sleeve tees, long pants, and in between Shabbos make sense? Like no heavy sweaters but long sleeves?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 4:53 am
Where can I rent mobile internet connection so that I can take with me wherever I go?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 5:04 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
My kids summer clothes are killed or too small or too summery and dh just announced he booked tickets to Israel. Long sleeve tees, long pants, and in between Shabbos make sense? Like no heavy sweaters but long sleeves?

Not really. It rarely cools down before mid October, and as the seasons change we often get a few days of serious heatwave. They need to have some summer options.

essie14

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 5:14 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:

It can be very hot over Sukkot, especially if you will be leaving Jerusalem, you definitely need summer clothes.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 5:21 am
You often see seminary girls sweltering in their new winter clothes over Sukkot, until they realize that Sukkot is still very much summer. Even in between clothes are often too heavy

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 5:25 am
Also check with your apartment that they will supply bed linen and towels, I have gone multiple times and last year we arrived the apartment and there was nothing! I called them and they said that they told the agent that they won't supply, I said do u honestly think someone would fill suitcases with it. The agent said they never said such a thing because she would have never taken such an apartment. But I was stuck in the middle of it all.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions