Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Psa: you need to know this word
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

happytobemom

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
(Unless you're Artscroll, in which case you use a different language- which contains words like juxtaposition and tractate.)

Reminds me of a thread there was once of English words we only know because we're Jewish - like the English words for Tefillin (which I'm not going to try to spell!) and Sukkah (which I can't seem to remember)!

Roots

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:42 pm
LOVED IT!

bigsis144

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:47 pm
happytobemom wrote:
Reminds me of a thread there was once of English words we only know because we're Jewish - like the English words for Tefillin (which I'm not going to try to spell!) and Sukkah (which I can't seem to remember)!

Phylacteries!!

Which is hilarious because they are also the name of a magical, evil, amulet-type artifact in Dungeons & Dragons (kind of like a horcrux, holding the soul of an evil wizard).

And there was this whole recent social-media controversy over whether using this word was antisemitic or not. And I’m like, lol, no one who actually WEARS tefillin would be offended cuz they wouldn’t use that word. We never chose that as the translation - some person saw tefillin, thought Jews wore them as magic amulets, and assigned the Greek word “phylactery” to them.

And then the dnd people wanted a word for magic amulet and learned the word phylactery too.

No antisemitic conspiracy. You could say they were ignorant, but again, most Jews wouldn’t know that word either!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:55 pm
happytobemom wrote:

Sukkos is translated as the Feast of Tabernacles. A sukkah is merely a booth or a hut.
Tabernacle is the word for Mishkan, so I don't see the connection. What
But we should make a s/o of all the Artscrollian words, ie. Words you probably would never have come across if not for Artscroll.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 1:08 pm
DH knows someone who was learning Tanya and came across the phrase "Yeish Me'ayin" (the world is created from nothingness) and the translation provided is the Latin phrase "ex nihilo."

He was curious about the concept and asked around, but nobody knew too much about it.

Finally he had the brilliant idea to ask a priest, who would likely be familiar with the Latin. He called up a priest of his acquaintance, and asked him if he could explain the term Ex Nihilo. The priest immediately responded, "that's Yesh Me'ayin!" (Apparently he had learned some Tanya as well...)

Moral of the story: If there's no good translation, don't bother translating. Just teach the original term.

scintilla

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 1:30 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
DH knows someone who was learning Tanya and came across the phrase "Yeish Me'ayin" (the world is created from nothingness) and the translation provided is the Latin phrase "ex nihilo."

He was curious about the concept and asked around, but nobody knew too much about it.

Finally he had the brilliant idea to ask a priest, who would likely be familiar with the Latin. He called up a priest of his acquaintance, and asked him if he could explain the term Ex Nihilo. The priest immediately responded, "that's Yesh Me'ayin!" (Apparently he had learned some Tanya as well...)

Moral of the story: If there's no good translation, don't bother translating. Just teach the original term.

Haha! This conversation was just reminding me of all the English words that Chabad bochurim know from teaching chassidus that no one actually uses - manifestation, inanimate, transcendence, nullification...I'm sure there are more but can't think of them! Oh and these bochurim often don't learn English so they sound like the kreech guys but with these high brow words mixed in😅

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 1:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! You are certainly right about me being well rounded, and it's davka because I eat so much potato kugel.

And thanks for nominating my kugel (even without tasting it) for the feast when Moshiach comes. Kugel will go well with the Shor habor, with some tzimmis on the side. (And there's always the fish option, so those people can eat kugel with the levyason.)

And please educate me. I never heard of orech. Is that like the word for guest? How would you use it in a sentence?
Orech and kreech are not really interchangable. Orech is more to describe someone who is really a pain in the neck type. Kreech is more oif de nerven.

pinkpeonies

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 1:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Like challa.
Kreech rhymes with Ich, as in "ich veis?" Which is another phrase that he uses in literally every sentence.

Eta: oops, sorry, you said you're Sefardi. Ich veis is loosely translated as "uh...." when it's sprinkled in every sentence. (IOW, it's meaningless.)
Literally, it means "I know? " as in "who knows?" . But practically they will say something like, "There are -ich veis- three guys in my shiur who give haircuts, but MY barber only charges- ich veis- two dollars." Then I ask him, "Does he do a decent job?" And he said, "ich veis? For two dollars, you can't go wrong. Lechoyra."

Ich veis is short for ich veis nisht, which means I don’t know

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 2:07 pm
amother Chambray wrote:

Ex nihilo makes sense, it's from the same shoresh as the word nihilism.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 2:18 pm
Lol love this!!!!!!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 2:23 pm
Lol
Just remembering when I was dating my husband he kept on saying maskim and I had no clue what it meant....

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 2:25 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
Lol
Just remembering when I was dating my husband he kept on saying maskim and I had no clue what it meant....

Lol. Do they not understand that it's a yeshiva language? When I talk to people I judge whether they are likely to actually know the words I am thinking. This is all so odd. It's like it is their language now so it's all they can do? Or it's more like they have no clue it's not what girls speak?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 2:46 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Lol. Do they not understand that it's a yeshiva language? When I talk to people I judge whether they are likely to actually know the words I am thinking. This is all so odd. It's like it is their language now so it's all they can do? Or it's more like they have no clue it's not what girls speak?

I think it's just ingrained in them, and they talk how they think. They are completely areingetuhn in the yeshivish culture, and they can hardly talk regular English. The other possibility is that they are trying to prove how shpitz yeshivish they are.

I recently was looking into a boy for a shidduch and I spoke to one of his friends. The guy was on steroids with his yeshivish speak. We spoke for a long time, and he kept giving me mesholim and Kal vechomers and punkt farkerts, vechulei.

I was loving the shmooze but I was wondering if it occured to him to wonder if this lady on the other end is following the whole shakla vetarya. Mistama not.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 6:14 pm
crust wrote:
In the USA we use kreech-crawl as a verb.

I love when nouns become verbs and vice versa.
Thanks for this OP. So now I can easily say I didn't do x because it was a kreech. Who needs the word hassle?

Btw, how many times in this phone call did he use the word k'ili?

If it was less than 25 then he still has to stay there until he becomes more solid.

I actually think the word hassle is the perfect word for kreech. Better than bother. Thank you!

As far as saying Ke'ilu, I find that Israeli kids use Ke'ilu as often and as uselessly as we use "like." Like, it's just a filler word which adds nothing to the conversation except, like, perhaps confusion.

And next time my bachur calls, I'll listen out for ke'ilu, but it's likely I never paid attention because there's no chiddush in using that word. Now "kreech"...that makes my eyebrows go up.

crust

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 6:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
I actually think the word hassle is the perfect word for kreech. Better than bother. Thank you!

As far as saying Ke'ilu, I find that Israeli kids use Ke'ilu as often and as uselessly as we use "like." Like, it's just a filler word which adds nothing to the conversation except, like, perhaps confusion.

And next time my bachur calls, I'll listen out for ke'ilu, but it's likely I never paid attention because there's no chiddush in using that word. Now "kreech"...that makes my eyebrows go up.

When I started calling bochurim that learn in EY for information it was a chiddish for me.

At some point I had to bite my tongue not to ask them if they could tell me everything without saying k'ili.

For clarification- they say 'killy'. (It rhymes with lilly.) Imagine hearing that 15 times in one 2 minute phone call.

Uch. It was really kreeching on my nerves.

Mindfully

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 6:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

No, not hassle. My parents and grandparents would use kreech to kvetch about how their alter beinim were kreeching and it was difficult to go up the stairs.

But I won't cry copious tears over that! Has anyone ever used that word, copious, irl? I've only seen it when describing pious rabbanim when they cried copious tears.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 6:50 pm
Mindfully wrote:
No, not hassle. My parents and grandparents would use kreech to kvetch about how their alter beinim were kreeching and it was difficult to go up the stairs.

But I won't cry copious tears over that! Has anyone ever used that word, copious, irl? I've only seen it when describing pious rabbanim when they cried copious tears.

I always combined “copious” with “notes”, as in “She took such copious notes that the other students joked she was writing her own textbook.”

ETA: Even google used that phrase in their definition!

Last edited by bigsis144 on Thu, Sep 01 2022, 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 6:50 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
Lol

My DH (chosson) and I looked at a few apartments together. Afterwards he asked me, “what are you shtelling?” After I gave him my opinion, he asked “any other ha’oros?”

I figured it out from context but really had no clue what he was saying! I had no yeshiva-age brothers. Now, a decade+ of marriage later, I understood the entire OP.

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 7:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Here's the link: Pentel GraphGear 1000 Automatic Drafting Pencil (0.3mm), Black Accents, 1 Each (PG1013G) https://a.co/d/7mtM3LH

He is makpid to only use .03mm lead.
You sound like a really nice mommy that you always offer to send them stuff. Just saying.

I'm laughing cuz this is the only pencil my husband uses to learn with also!!

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 8:16 pm
Help!! What does nafka mina mean??
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics