Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
BLW baby shows no interest
Previous  1  2

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 11:30 am
amother OP wrote:
the reason I'm very interested in BLW is because my older kids are uber picky. it's exhausting. I did research that led me to BLW as a method to help baby have a developed palate early on and into his early kid years.

but there are soooo many rules. NO purees, no spoonfeeding, special highchairs w a bunch of requirements, must eat while they eat, food sizes, safety, allergies to look out for and on n on.

What happens if I only follow some of these guidelines?

and yes, I guess my kids isnt ready.

It seems like your baby isn't ready yet. I did BLW for all my babies, but started later and I didn't follow all rules exactly. I gave them what we ate, let them feed themselves, no puree's. I didn't get special high chairs. One of my kids ate very well as a baby and young toddler, but now at 3 years old, he's extremely picky and his diet basically consists of bread and pasta. He's a kid that used to eat everything up until afew months ago. I don't know what got into him.
He's starting school now, hopefully he'll get back to eating better.

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 11:44 am
I traditionally weaned two of my kids, BLWed three.

You really need to choose one or the other, for safety reasons. The point of BLW is that the baby learns to chew first, then swallow. Kids fed purees learn how to swallow first, then need to learn to chew. So if you take a kid who has had purees and give them BLW style food, it is unsafe.

There's nothing wrong with either type of feeding. If you find purees easier, do that. You should still introduce finger feeding in a few months, with tiny bite-sized pieces. But you can't give them larger pieces like BLW babies, and you can't start finger feeding at 6 months.

For the record, I used the same high chair for both. There are rules about food sizes and safety for BLW, but there are for traditionally weaned babies too. They're just different. The only thing you might find annoying is the "no purees, no spoonfeeding" rule, but honestly, that's what makes things easier and not harder imo. It's a mindset change -- you're not focused on "did they eat enough" or "did they finish the jar." Your job is to present them with food and their job is to do whatever they want with it. For the first little while, they play a lot with it and very little may get into their mouths. That's okay.

In this case, though, I think you should just feed purees and not do BLW. Start with finger feeding in a few months, following traditional guidelines. Next baby, if applicable, you can consider BLW if you'd like to.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 1:35 pm
SLP here.
Your baby isnt ready. Respect his cues.
I dont know why parents are starting solids so early. A babys gut health isnt developed yet to introduce solids.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 2:45 pm
I’m doing something in between and not following any rules, just keeping an eye out for safety. I started at 5 months and never did the traditional watery purées made of one vegetable or fruit. Actually my baby hasn’t really had any fruit or veggies yet. We’re doing a lot of animal based protein and fat. Whole Greek yogurt, loose egg, avocado (is that a vegetable?) potato kugel, chicken soup, cholent, and so on. I don’t have baby eat by themselves, no time and energy in my day for that sort of mess.
Bh baby eats everything, height and weight are above average, and never had any choking episodes.

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Sep 03 2022, 4:45 pm
If your baby loves the purees, continue with the purees! Please ignore the posters telling you to do otherwise. There's no one right way - the right way is the way that your baby enjoys his food.

My baby WON'T take food I feed him on a spoon (he was never interested) so I give him to eat himself.

But if he's happy with the way you're doing it, please continue. Don't stress on what he or you are meant to be doing, there's no rules.

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Sep 03 2022, 4:48 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
So you're not ready for solids.
Stop doing purees. It's not blw and you can't really do both, for safety (bc of how the gag reflex develops)
Your next step: Lay off all food and wait for him to show interest

Are you serious??

Her baby loves the purees. Why should she stop giving them? Scratching Head

OP - there are many posters on here who are very militant BLW-ers. But, I'll repeat again - there's no one right way. Do whatever works for you and your baby. (And if you baby is enjoying his food the way you're currently giving it to him, I really don't think it makes any sense to now withold it from him!)

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sat, Sep 03 2022, 5:25 pm
I do some feeding, and some things my now 1.5 year old has always eaten on her own. Fruits and vegetables, bread, cheese, grilled chicken or schnitzel, she can eat on her own (to name a few). Dinners are usually fed, because I want her to eat what we're eating. She isn't ready to feed herself spaghetti and meatballs (for example).
I would start introducing food you're eating by feeding it to your baby.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 03 2022, 10:47 pm
amother Purple wrote:
SLP here.
Your baby isnt ready. Respect his cues.
I dont know why parents are starting solids so early. A babys gut health isnt developed yet to introduce solids.

because my baby is only formula fed and I feel better about giving him nutritious food rather than formula thats full of who knows what.
he loved the chicken n veg puree I made from soup leftovers.

if I spoonfeed now just a bit every day, can I continue with only blw in a month or will he already be used to being fed n wont want to eat himself??
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics