Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to FL, please help
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 12:32 am
Which communities should I look into?

Around how many communities are there?

Anyone have time to list a short blurb for each one?

Have a frum org that helps with info to choose?

Any type of assistance appreciated.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 9:42 am
Bump

busy mommy

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 9:49 am
Florida is a large state with many diverse communities. It may help for you to specify what you are looking for and people can guide you. Are you looking into South Florida or anyone from Jacksonville, Orlando, Boca, etc is fine too?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 9:49 am
There are many many communities in Florida. Why don’t you tell us what you’re looking for and maybe we can help.

amother
Pansy

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 10:10 am
Why are you moving to Florida?
Do you need to live in a certain area for work? Do you have kids who need school?

amother
Pansy

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 10:13 am
You realize you aren’t asking about a small town? You’re asking about a very large state!
You make it sound like you’re asking about moving to lakewood and you want to know about the neighborhoods.
It’s not a small town. You’re asking about the state of Florida.

Not_in_my_town

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 10:14 am
Wimaumau, Florida has a small chasidishe community, if that is what you are looking for.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 10:55 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Wimaumau, Florida has a small chasidishe community, if that is what you are looking for.

I've visited a few times.
Very nice place.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 11:00 am
Just a psa.
The schools in the Miami area are bursting at the seams.
If you have kids who need to get into schools, I advise tou to look into that first.
I don't know about Orlando or Jacksonville.
Someone in NMB opened a new cheder this year, and I heard that a new cheder is opening in Miami Beach as well for next year.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 4:25 pm
How many frum communities are there in the state? 10? 20? 30???

How many outside of the greater southeast miami area?

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 4:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
How many frum communities are there in the state? 10? 20? 30???

How many outside of the greater southeast miami area?

Just a few outside the overall Miami area, as far as I know, and they're pretty small. I think Jacksonville, Orlando, maybe Daytona? Tampa? Maybe a couple of others.
BTW, I've been hearing stories abt pple who recently moved down but ended up leaving. Mostly because it's not as cheap as they thought. True, no state income tax, but also salaries tend to be much lower than in the NE.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 6:11 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Just a few outside the overall Miami area, as far as I know, and they're pretty small. I think Jacksonville, Orlando, maybe Daytona? Tampa? Maybe a couple of others.
BTW, I've been hearing stories abt pple who recently moved down but ended up leaving. Mostly because it's not as cheap as they thought. True, no state income tax, but also salaries tend to be much lower than in the NE.

Boca

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 7:06 pm
Would help if you would describe yourself and your family ages gender hashkafa budget jobs etc
Otherwise impossible to give you input

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 7:06 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
Boca

Right. I count Boca in with the general Miami area, because it's not too far away. It's definitely what I'd classify as South Florida. But FL's a big state-- and most of the frum areas are located in the south eastern part.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 8:36 pm
Thanks, so we are coming from the 5 towns area. Jpf. Moving for year round sun, not other concerns. My dh works remotely so not an issue.

I just know nothing about any of the areas so if you live in a specific area any description of types of crowds, shuls/school/mikvah/groceries available. Also size of the frum community as well as general community and how condensed is the area, fast paced, slow paced, big city, small city, out of town feel, country like. Are there lakes, ocean, alligators, panthers ....do people live in mansions on acres or high rise buildings? Upscale area, affordable nice area, downtown area, south of the tracks area.... please if you live in fl just describe your area a little. I would really appreciate it.

ImmaBubby

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 9:10 pm
It sounds like you should schedule a pilot trip and spend about a week exploring the state. You need lots of info and before you uproot, you should probably do the research with your own boots on the ground.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 9:12 pm
Agree with above poster, you definitely should make at least 2 trips here prior to uprooting your whole family for a big move. The first, just to travel around to the different areas and get a feel for things. The next, to narrow things down to the best area and see for yourself about the type of housing and other things you are wondering about.
ETA: it sounds like you've never been to FL at all, not even for a vacation visit. I don't think it's wise to pick up and move to a new place without ever having been there at all.

ImmaBubby

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 9:13 pm
Also, please understand that the year round sun sometimes comes with hurricanes and tropical storms.
I’m certainly not trying to discourage you- just encouraging you to research your options well.

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 9:14 pm
What is your budget? You prefer a house or apartment? On the water?shul- what’s your hashkafa?
Otherwise just sounds like you are gathering info for an article or research paper and doesn’t make sense

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 9:15 pm
Nmb, more run down
Boca very nice (about 1 hour away from nmb)
Miami Beach more expensive most south

Wrote them out of order

Are u Ashkenazi or sefardi
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating