Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Things to do with kids near Istanbul Airport 5 hours

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 03 2022, 10:07 pm
Any ideas? We will be stopping with kids there for 5 hours.

supportive comments only pls.

amother
NeonPink

Post Sat, Sep 03 2022, 10:11 pm
Not enough time to leave the airport. See if you can get lounge access so you have where to hang out.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sat, Sep 03 2022, 10:15 pm
It's safest to stay in the airport. Turkey is not jew friendly.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sat, Sep 03 2022, 10:35 pm
Please do not leave the airport if you only have 5 hours! We had a layover in England and it was definitely not enough time to leave and come back. which was not worth leaving the airport for. It seemed like a long time but at the end of the day it wasn't too bad. I would totally feel comfortable visiting Istanbul so it's not about safety it's just about the time it takes to get through security by the time you leave and come back.

chanchy123

Post Sat, Sep 03 2022, 10:40 pm
I’ve never been in Istanbul - however in my experience 5 hours is not generally not enough to leave the airport in a stopover - especially not with children. However, I understand there are exceptions to this rule - I would Google Istanbul layover - and see how many hours are recommended.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 12:20 am
Take some activity books and craft kits..

essie14

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 1:06 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
Take some activity books and craft kits..

I second this.
Melissa & Doug makes great reusable sticker books that my DD loves.
Magnetic travel games.
Bring food and buy everyone drinks.
Maybe make up a scavenger hunt to do in the airport, if the kids are old enough.

dinglehopper

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 1:47 am
You also need to check if you need a visa to enter the country.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 3:12 am
When I was single (this was a number of years ago) I had a short layover in Turkey. I think Istanbul, I was going from U.S. to Israel. I had enough time to go somewhere pretty close by, it was near water, to get a coffee (I think it was a restaurant though, not a coffee shop but you could sit outdoors, near the water). I took a taxi to get there and back, I think. I think my time was well spent, I enjoyed it, but I definitely don't think I would do that if I was travelling with kids.

I was given to understand that everything else was really too far away for a short stay. Also, I had a colleague from Turkey at the time and she said that Turkey had gotten pretty dangerous. She wasn't Jewish so she meant it from the perspective of any woman. She said she wouldn't travel alone as a woman in the city in certain areas (or at all, I don't remember.)

Rappel

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 3:30 am
Unfortunately, Iran has been using Turkey as a staging point to attempt to kidnap Israelis lately. I'm not usually a naysayer, but as a family with young children, Jewish, and are probably flying to Israel, I think you should plan to stay within airport security.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 6:05 am
OP, I have to say, that even just being in the airport and walking around - and yes, I second staying on your side of security - is going to be cool.
I'm sorry you're not getting the answers you want. I hope your flight goes safely.

caffeine99

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 6:08 am
dinglehopper wrote:
You also need to check if you need a visa to enter the country.

This! You must have a visa to leave. Often with such a stop over you have to clear customs in each country so you won't have exactly 5 hours by the time your out especially if there's a delay on your first flight.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 6:13 am
Forget the whole issue of Turkey not being so jew friendly, as a practical note you don't have 5 hours. It's an hour just to get to the exit and you need minimum 2 hours to go through security. That leaves you with 2 hours which doesn't include kids needing the bathroom, a snack etc. I wouldn't risk it in any foreign country regardless of their political status

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 6:48 am
I'm not sure where you are from, but if you hold US citizenship, you need a visa to visit Turkey.

Israeli citizens do not.

In any case, 5 hours isn't much time, esp with kids in tow.

And sometimes there are security alerts for Turkey.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 6:52 am
My ds made a 1.5 hour stop over and said it was barely enough time to get from one flight to the next. He also said it’s a beautiful airport and it’s a shame he didn’t have time to look around there. Maybe google layout of the airport and see what you find to do inside the airport

Rivky1015

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 7:31 am
You are all correct, a visa is needed for a US citizen. However, they issue them in the airport on the spot for around $50, or can be done in advance for a bit less.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 12:27 pm
Rivky1015 wrote:
You are all correct, a visa is needed for a US citizen. However, they issue them in the airport on the spot for around $50, or can be done in advance for a bit less.

Still too risky IMO.

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 12:36 pm
See how to get lounge access, they have the most magnificent lounge there like beyond beautiful. Also there is a Starbucks there
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics