Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Think any frum publishers would accept...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 12:24 pm
A novel which mentions that a character committed suicide? There is no actual description of the suicide itself - just other characters finding out years later that the character in question killed herself as a teenager and then they have to go find her kever to ask mechila...

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 12:41 pm
I'm a writer for one of the frum mags.

Unlikely they'd print it. Not because they're necessarily afraid of mentioning it, but they've spoken to mental health professionals and there's a chance of a contagion effect when mentioning certain issues, like suicide and eating disorders.

If it's printed it needs to be done with a lot of thought and consideration and double-checking to ensure it won't trigger anyone to act upon a thought/curiosity they may have had.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 1:06 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:

Unlikely they'd print it. Not because they're necessarily afraid of mentioning it, but they've spoken to mental health professionals and there's a chance of a contagion effect when mentioning certain issues, like suicide and eating disorders.

If it's printed it needs to be done with a lot of thought and consideration and double-checking to ensure it won't trigger anyone to act upon a thought/curiosity they may have had.

A magazine and a book are 2 different things. I've read frum books that touched on hard topics like drugs, cults, suicide. Magazines need to be more careful because anyone can pick it up and read it, with a book theres usually an intended audience

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 2:06 pm
I think it depends on genre and intended audience. Children and teens, unlikely. A novel aimed for adults possibly. But I think it also depends on how it's written. Vaguely hinted to, where the reader needs to read between the lines has a better chance.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 2:29 pm
I would hope so, it will get the topic out of the taboo there is so much to tell and to explain just like the fact that people are still asking me why my bil was allowed to be buried on the kever and not outside because of the way he died… Elul or not I don’t forgive those comments (yet)

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 5:02 pm
There have been books that mentioned it.
Lately I've seen books with "Sensitive" warnings on the back.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 5:06 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:

Yup. That makes sense. When I was a teen going through a hard time I was very "inspired" by the anorexia stories that made the news and were made into movies. Tracy Gold was my hero.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 8:19 am
Thanks everyone! This was very helpful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club