Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Having guests on RH
Previous  1  2  3

salt

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 4:50 am
We do invite guests - usually those who need, we rarely invite guests for the social aspect only (all year round).

But I really admire the idea of not talking. I am nowhere near that level.
If one had a life changing court case that morning, and one doesn't yet know the verdict, then one certainly would not want to chat to guests.
That is one of the aspects of Rosh Hashana, so I can see the value in not talking. It helps us take the day seriously.

But as others have said, RH is also a yom tov where we are 'mamlich' Hashem, so there is also an aspect of joy.
Difficult combination.

mizle10

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 8:20 am
Yes it's a YT, but it's also a holy day and with guests its harder to ensure there is no a) lashon hara going on b)conversation that isn't 100% appropriate.
I can have the yom tov spirit with just my family by preparing special foods, setting table special, zemiros and divrei torah etc. We save our invites for succos when we usually have guests for every meal.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 8:41 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
You don’t go even on RH?

No, I have little kids. I maybe go for shofar, but that’s it.

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 7:16 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
In our house, Rosh hashana is a yom tov just like any other.

You must be joyous and pleasant.
We dont hold of loong extended davenings just for the sake of it. It's a pretty new thing.

We'd way rather sit with family and guests and talk about the day- ut not too heavy because it's yom tov.

It is indeed a pretty new thing. It's slowly becoming almost another YK day. It didn't used to be this way. There used to be a time for family and for celebration. After all, we're crowning Hashem as our King and that's a joyful time. The day used to be a mix of celebration and seriousness, but the celebration is slowly being whittled away and it's being replaced with only seriousness and avodah.

I wonder if that's a good thing. I find that many kids really don't look forward to RH anymore. To them it's just a looooong day of davening with nothing to do. We've been shifting into extremes in many different avenues, and it's undermining the beauty of yiddishkeit for the next generation.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 8:03 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
It is indeed a pretty new thing. It's slowly becoming almost another YK day. It didn't used to be this way. There used to be a time for family and for celebration. After all, we're crowning Hashem as our King and that's a joyful time. The day used to be a mix of celebration and seriousness, but the celebration is slowly being whittled away and it's being replaced with only seriousness and avodah.

I wonder if that's a good thing. I find that many kids really don't look forward to RH anymore. To them it's just a looooong day of davening with nothing to do. We've been shifting into extremes in many different avenues, and it's undermining the beauty of yiddishkeit for the next generation.

I don't think davening's longer than it was when I was a kid.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 10:35 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I don't think davening's longer than it was when I was a kid.

Neither do I. In fact, I used to think my shul got out later than any other in the neighborhood. As a young adult, I figured that was just my perception because I was a little kid. Still later in adulthood I went back to that shul for Yamim Noraim and discovered that my perception was right on the money: that shul did in fact get out later than any other shul in the neighborhood. Not only that, but I used to hear people talk about having a one-to-two-hour break on YK and had no idea what they were talking about. My shul growing up never had a break. Oh, maybe ten minutes between musaf and mincha so the chazzan could go to the bathroom, but that was it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur