Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Idea for trip- DD and I
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 10:15 pm
For her bas mitzvah gift, just the two of us .
Needs to be within a five hour driving radius of Cleveland. Prefer less.
Tops three days total for the trip.
Outdoor fun a plus.
Animals a plus .
No amusement park.
This will be iffy weather of the autumn time.
Any suggestions?

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 11:01 pm
No suggestions as I don’t know the area but what a great gift!! She is going to treasure this forever.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 11:03 pm
Niagara
Pittsburgh
Put in Bay

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 11:07 pm
Definitely Niagara!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 9:04 am
I was thinking of Niagara, but we did a family trip there a few years ago. Plus, we won't be able to go to the Canadian side because my DD isn't vaccinated.
Pittsburgh we just did this summer...
Put in bay would be nice in the fall? I thought it was more of a summer place?
Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 9:05 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
No suggestions as I don’t know the area but what a great gift!! She is going to treasure this forever.

Thank you, I hope so!
She isn't the party type ;-)

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 9:26 am
I know you said no amusement parks. But would you consider Hershey/Harrisburg area? There is Lake Tobias which is an animal safari, Indian echo caverns which are cool caves to tour, there are nice parks in the area, and Hershey chocolate world is just a cute visit (free) that is separate from the rides. The Whittaker science center in harrisburg is a really nice science museum with some very good nature IMAX films. City Island is pretty and has mini golf and some other stuff. Its a nice blend of indoor and outdoor although, barring Hershey Park, there is no one huge wow thing that a young girl might like to "brag" about to friends like she would about Niagara.

doctorima

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 10:20 am
It's a drop farther than 5 hours from Cleveland, but Mackinac Island is so charming. No cars, all transportation by bike (tons of rentals) or horse-drawn carriages. We went in the summer and loved it, but double-check fall weather. There are also places to stop along the way to break up the drive.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 10:43 pm
doctorima wrote:
It's a drop farther than 5 hours from Cleveland, but Mackinac Island is so charming. No cars, all transportation by bike (tons of rentals) or horse-drawn carriages. We went in the summer and loved it, but double-check fall weather. There are also places to stop along the way to break up the drive.

Thank you for the idea, but it's closer to 7 hours when I mapped it out. A little too far for us.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 10:46 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
I know you said no amusement parks. But would you consider Hershey/Harrisburg area? There is Lake Tobias which is an animal safari, Indian echo caverns which are cool caves to tour, there are nice parks in the area, and Hershey chocolate world is just a cute visit (free) that is separate from the rides. The Whittaker science center in harrisburg is a really nice science museum with some very good nature IMAX films. City Island is pretty and has mini golf and some other stuff. Its a nice blend of indoor and outdoor although, barring Hershey Park, there is no one huge wow thing that a young girl might like to "brag" about to friends like she would about Niagara.

It's a fun itinerary, thanks for taking the time!
Lake Tobias will be opened only weekends at the time, that would be a big draw, but a no go in our case. Hershey may be nice, but not worth the drive there without the park.

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 11:04 pm
Chicago? Great restaraunts, gorgeous downtown, nice hotels, lots to do

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 11:09 pm
Washington DC is 6 hours away, so much to do it may be worth the extra distance

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 8:09 am
amother Cherry wrote:
Chicago? Great restaraunts, gorgeous downtown, nice hotels, lots to do

Too far, and I didn't enjoy it so much when I was there. Don't think it'll intrigue my DD. Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 8:11 am
amother Cherry wrote:
Washington DC is 6 hours away, so much to do it may be worth the extra distance

Yeah too far and imo not worth it... I've been there a few times and it's more like a school trip for me ;-)
Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 8:12 am
Indiana? Another place in Ohio? Kentucky? I'm not sure where else....

doctorima

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:42 am
amother OP wrote:
Indiana? Another place in Ohio? Kentucky? I'm not sure where else....

Actually, Kentucky is a great idea! Google Maps says both Lexington and Louisville are 5 hours from Cleveland. Churchill Downs, Kentucky Horse Park, and Louisville Slugger are wonderful. Mammoth Cave NP is great, but probably too far for you. You can go via Hocking Hills State Park near Columbus on the way there, and through Cincinnati on the way back.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 10:52 pm
doctorima wrote:
Actually, Kentucky is a great idea! Google Maps says both Lexington and Louisville are 5 hours from Cleveland. Churchill Downs, Kentucky Horse Park, and Louisville Slugger are wonderful. Mammoth Cave NP is great, but probably too far for you. You can go via Hocking Hills State Park near Columbus on the way there, and through Cincinnati on the way back.

I really like the plan! But I think it's more suited for a five day trip than a three...
I'm keeping it in mind though! Probably a shorter version.

Anyone have thoughts on Indiana? I've been to the sand dunes many years ago and enjoyed it. Worth a trip back? It's a little farther than I'd like and is it enough to do?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 10:58 pm
Actually, what about seven springs??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:14 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Actually, what about seven springs??

I looked at the website, but didn't find that they had much we can do in the fall. Is there something you can specifically recommend, since you mentioned it?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:17 pm
Has anyone ever been to Fair Oaks Farms in Indiana? It is a little farther than I'd like, but was wondering if it is worthwhile. We pass by the Indiana Sand Dunes NP, so we can stop there on our way in or out too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics