Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
S/O "Getting evicted"
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 11:11 pm
Landlords very much deserve to get their rent paid by tenants.

But bli ayin hara, with all the Jewish owned megamansions coming up in every Jewish neighborhood, costing in the many millions to build and then many millions to furnish, with same people owning many homes, going on many vacations, spending bundles on designer clothing and shoes, why in the world arent there organizations people can go to, funded by the multi-millionaires, where they can get immediate help when theyre in dire straits?

Theres so many of these megamansions going up all over, there should be enough money to go around for all those who are broke and desperate.

Sorry! Its vomit-inducing shameful!

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 11:14 pm
Capitalist economy. We are not communists around here. You have the money, it's yours to spend regardless of what other people may think.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 11:16 pm
People are entitled to use their hard earned money however they wish to. We don't make other's calculations.
There are plenty organizations. And the more organizations there are, the more people take advantage.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 11:32 pm
What I think op was trying to say that before evicting a tenant landlord should think if they really can't wait it out a bit.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 11:36 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
What I think op was trying to say that before evicting a tenant landlord should think if they really can't wait it out a bit.

Who said the landlords are the rich ones building the mega mansions? It's so absurd how everyone assumes that landlord=rich (and no, I am not a landlord. I am a tenant and I don't own any real estate). Maybe the landlords are struggling financially just like the tenants.

Would you say the same thing to the owner of a clothing store? To give away clothing for free and "wait it out a bit" to see if the customer can pay?

giftedmom

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 11:37 pm
Because that would be communism AKA free money AKA everyone is poor because why should anyone work?
In a healthy capitalist economy the money trickles down. Mega mansions, expensive clothes, assuming they’re hiring mostly vendors and contractors in their own communities (which is what all these expos are for) means many are making a respectable income off of them.
Ask any small business owner or independent contractor where the bulk of their income is from.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 11:39 pm
Probably because rent is something that would be extremely hard to quantify who really is desperate for it and would require unlimited funding.
It’s a terrible problem not to have money for basics (been there before) but it’s not sustainable for a community to raise such funds long term. In an emergency most communities have various organizations that can help short term (we once got JFSA to pay our mortgage when we were desperate but it was a one time thing).
Also, in general if someone has little or no income they need to move out of town and not in one of the priciest cities in the country.

GLUE

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 12:04 am
Who says the people building the mega mansions are not over their heads in dept?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 12:10 am
I know a few people that live in a nice house that pay other peoples rent. They are very hard working individuals and are entitled to spend their money however they please. I just saw on a liberals page posted on Labor day “waiting for the day we eat the rich...”. You are not entitled to other peoples money!
A family member just bought a house for a family that is poor and living in a tiny apartment. My neighbor pays a few peoples rents. A different neighbor got a house paid for by his kehilla.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 12:20 am
Yes our slumlord lived in a mega mansion across the street. When we asked for a $100 a month discount because of major quality of life issues we were having from illegal non jews in the basement he replied that he cant he's desperate for money. NO SHAME. I had to watch thier cleaning lady sweep in front of their house and take out the garbage daily while I had to sweep the leaves myself and take out the garbage to the curb myself (not supposed to be tenat job) I can go on and on but I learned a lot about rich people and thier attitude to money. Disclaimer: I know some people who are rich and generous and giving and my role model. Its a personality thing but also a cultural thing for rich people not to understand the day to day hardships of the poor. And I confess as I bh have more disposable income than in the past, the value and potental of every dollar is diminished and I am wasting money. Its so easy to get caught up in the rat race.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 12:20 am
I agree with OP.

There should be more organizations to help people who are in dire situations pay rent.
It would benifit landlords too because landlords wouldn’t loose the property because rent isn’t paid and they can’t pay mortgage.

When I’m rich one day maybe I’ll help fund such an organization. LOL

Just like any organization there are people that take advantage… but I do think that helping a Jewish family have a roof over their heads is an important cause.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 12:54 am
Al Shlosha DVarim Haolam Omed, al HaTorah Avoda, U Gmilas Chasadim.

This has zero to do with the landlord. He deserves to get paid.

This has to do with spending a very small portion of ones money, and caring for others in bad situations. No one knows when it could be them needing it.

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 1:19 am
If there are charitable organizations set up to give loans or donate $ for rents, that's great.

But property owners should not be pressured (much less expected) to give up their hard-earned incomes because their tenants cannot pay.

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 1:33 am
I am a renter. Will probably always be one unless we win the lottery... but then I actually have to have the extra cash to buy a ticket.

Many of the community millionaires are spending their money in the community. Who do you think supports Tomchei, the Eruv, the mikvaot, bikur cholims, schools, kollels... none of those are self sufficient. Your $18 once a year during their campaign isnt keeping them afloat. Money is finite. They also have a right to spend how they want, support the organizations they want... and by supporting 1, they cant use the same dollars to support something else.

Organizations that say they will pay $100 for rent... well, everyone's rent just got raised by 100. When someone is funding part of it, landlords will increase rent. Like when a certain group gets $ off shoes, guess what wont be on sale? Or will go up that much because someone is subsidizing it for enough of the population.

Plus who is to say who deserves it? Whether decides? The one who can explain their life in the best sob story? What about the person who is needier but cant express themselves? The one connected to this Rav or has X last name or whose husband works in a yeshiva? Will there be a time limit? Can they ever reapply for help? And who approves the exceptions?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 1:33 am
DrMom wrote:
If there are charitable organizations set up to give loans or donate $ for rents, that's great.

But property owners should not be pressured (much less expected) to give up their hard-earned incomes because their tenants cannot pay.

This has ZERO to do with landlords, who may ALSO be desperate to pay their bills!

This has to do with helping people in desperate situations do what they have to do (pay their landlord).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 1:39 am
So Imas, whats the solution, having Yiddishe families with no support system, homeless?

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 1:57 am
It's interesting, I had this argument the other day. Someone in my neighborhood built a house worth millions and millions of dollars, and I thought that it was disgusting. Everyone else disagreed with me, and said that the Torah says you should only spend up to 20% of your income on tzedakah, and not more. And that nowadays people DO give more, but they are not obligated to live very simply and use all their money to tzedakah instead.

I don't know, it just seems so wrong? But I think it's one of those things that easy to tell other people to do, and not so easy to do yourself.

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 2:06 am
amother OP wrote:
So Imas, whats the solution, having Yiddishe families with no support system, homeless?

In the short run: I do not know.

In the long run: How about better education re: financial planning?

I know this will invite a barrage of flung tomatoes, but for how long can whole communities encourage people to have huge families, send their kids to private schools, and discourage them from acquiring the tools they need to earn a decent living, and encourage them to live from paycheck tp meager paycheck?

Does every frum person in a low income bracket fall into this category? Absolutely not. But a huge % do, and when economic times are tough, the impact is tremendous. We must stop ignoring this.

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 2:10 am
amother OP wrote:

Education. Let our kids get jobs outside the basic "speech, special ed, OT" route.
Let those capable go to school for plumbing, electrician etc and make more with no student loans. I know some who make a very nice living...
Get better jobs. Dont insist on everyone working for frum companies that dont pay well or teaching. It isn't assur to work for a secular company. You will get benefits there too.
Lower your other expenses. Stop with new clothes every YT, matching clothes so you cant use hand me downs, only frum brand clothing (not counting skirts for taller girls because long skirts are hard to find elsewhere). $100 infant stretchies?!? And stop following latest trends in meat boards or tablescapes...
Dont force guys to go to kollel or be "a bad boy" or "rebel". They often need to be able to earn money and support their family- not learn 5 years and then figure out what to do (and not make real money for years when you need the extra money, more tuitions and bigger apartment for more kids IYH...).
Move OOT. Yes you won't have 14 pizza stores locally or 30 shuls to choose from. And no, other expenses may not necessarily go up the same amount you save. Housing is a major expense...

There are solutions. Just not as easy as taking someone else's money.

tweety1

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 2:30 am
imorethanamother wrote:
It's interesting, I had this argument the other day. Someone in my neighborhood built a house worth millions and millions of dollars, and I thought that it was disgusting. Everyone else disagreed with me, and said that the Torah says you should only spend up to 20% of your income on tzedakah, and not more. And that nowadays people DO give more, but they are not obligated to live very simply and use all their money to tzedakah instead.

I don't know, it just seems so wrong? But I think it's one of those things that easy to tell other people to do, and not so easy to do yourself.

Nobody is telling anyone to live frugally, but it's not a mitzvah to build a house to take other people's eyes out. I have a classmate/former friend who grew up with literally no money. Married and her husband is bh very very well off, gives lots of tzedukah. If you would see her on the street you would think she's still the same poor. Her house inside is beautiful, the outside? Exremely plain and simple as can be. She still wears the same clothing probably since she got married. Is so quiet and refined; I'm amazed how money didn't let her change.
You're allowed to have a nice house, you're allowed to have gorgeous jewlery, but there are ways to do it. You don't have to be extravagant.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries