Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
No drinking rule
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 10:27 pm
Teacher doesn’t let dd drink in class . The rule is so unfair and outdated. What do you think?

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 10:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
Teacher doesn’t let dd drink in class . The rule is so unfair and outdated. What do you think?
I'm with you! I'm long out of school and I was never for the life of me able to understand the logic behind this shtus... cruelty at its finest!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 10:33 pm
amother Heather wrote:
I'm with you! I'm long out of school and I was never for the life of me able to understand the logic behind this shtus... cruelty at its finest!

Agree! School is stressful without these rules:(

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 10:35 pm
In public school where I work all the kids have a water bottle on their desk and are encouraged to drink water throughout the day. Maybe show this teacher articles about why drinking water is beneficial and can actually improve learning. These ridiculous rules have got to go. She will probably by saying then the kids will need to go to the bathroom...which brings us to the next ridiculous rule of no going to the bathroom.

essie14

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 11:57 pm
In Israel the kids must drink all day. Every child is required to have their own water bottle. Never heard of not being allowed to drink water. That sounds like jail.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:02 am
I am a teacher. A nice one Very Happy but I don't allow drinking in class.

I find it distracting, disturbing, and if it's not a spillproof bottle, spilling.

Why do kids need to be drinking during class in an air conditioned room if they took drinks before class, take drinks at recess, and take drinks at dismissal?
Asking seriously.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:03 am
My students get a limited number of passes per week/month that they can use to leave and take a drink in the hallway and/or use their bathroom during class.

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:03 am
essie14 wrote:
In Israel the kids must drink all day. Every child is required to have their own water bottle. Never heard of not being allowed to drink water. That sounds like jail.

Not only that but the bathroom rule posted in another thread is also unheard of. And that is in the straightlaced, old fashioned schools. My kids go to the bathroom whenever they want. They drink whenever they want. And they're learning well. Some of the rules posted on that thread had me wondering whether this is school or prison.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:07 am
amother Lavender wrote:
My students get a limited number of passes per week/month that they can use to leave and take a drink in the hallway and/or use their bathroom during class.

What? You limit the amount of times they can go to the bathroom? What if they need to go and they used up their passes?

Gosh, it's way easier being an adult and being able to go to the bathroom whenever I want. I don't think most adults would be able to tolerate what we expect of kids.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:11 am
Get a note from her doctor that she needs to be allowed to drink water. It’s cruel not to allow kids access to water as needed.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:12 am
amother Lavender wrote:

I find it distracting, disturbing, and if it's not a spillproof bottle, spilling.

Why do kids need to be drinking during class in an air conditioned room if they took drinks before class, take drinks at recess, and take drinks at dismissal?
Asking seriously.

Learning is hard work. Also some people need drinks more often than others. It’s really not ok to not allow water.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:26 am
amother Lavender wrote:

Asking seriously.

That’s really sad. Please rethink this rule. I’m so stressed from my daughters teacher who says the same. Kids should be allowed to drink when thirsty. It’s cruel to withhold water.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:27 am
amother Lavender wrote:

Asking seriously.

Well I hope you at least practice what you preach and don't drink in class either. That would be so cruel to the kids.

nightingale1

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:29 am
My teachers had a rule that only water was allowed. I thought that was pretty fair. That way, no one is drinking sugar drinks for fun, they only drink when they’re thirsty.
For the poster who says you don’t allow drinks- some kids really need it. Some people can only drink a little at a time, and take small sips throughout to get the right amount of water. Sometimes you just forget and then are thirsty during class. Sometimes the classroom is hot. There are so many reasons. It’s unhealthy not to drink when you’re thirsty. Please let.

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:34 am
Bathroom is non-negotiable. I’m sorry. Do you know how absolutely mortifying it is to have an accident in school? I know sometimes kids hang out in the bathroom but seriously the alternative is worse. Holding it in can also cause big problems. And please don’t say they should just go during recess. They should really spend their whole break waiting on line? Not to mention some kids (like me) find it really hard to go when people are standing right outside waiting.

lfab

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:35 am
amother Lavender wrote:

Asking seriously.

The fact that you ask this question shows that you are clearly not a big water drinker. I'm a person who owns one of those big 64oz water bottles and finishes nearly the entire thing in the 8 hours I'm at work. I keep it on my desk and sip throughout the day as I tend to get thirsty. My co-worker, on the other hand, is lucky if she gets through 8oz the whole day at work. So everyone is different. But a teacher should not be deciding how much each child needs to drink and then limiting their fluid intake based on the teachers own drinking habits.
And I'm glad that my kids go to a school that understands the importance of proper hydration. Every year the first item on every supply list is a reusable water bottle!

6000miles

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:41 am
lfab wrote:
The fact that you ask this question shows that you are clearly not a big water drinker. I'm a person who owns one of those big 64oz water bottles and finishes nearly the entire thing in the 8 hours I'm at work. I keep it on my desk and sip throughout the day as I tend to get thirsty. My co-worker, on the other hand, is lucky if she gets through 8oz the whole day at work. So everyone is different. But a teacher should not be deciding how much each child needs to drink and then limiting their fluid intake based on the teachers own drinking habits.
And I'm glad that my kids go to a school that understands the importance of proper hydration. Every year the first item on every supply list is a reusable water bottle!

I'm just like you! I even keep a water bottle near my bed and sometimes wake up to take a sip and go back to sleep.
When I was in school I used to keep my water bottle in my knapsack and drink secretly when the teacher wasn't looking. Otherwise I would get headaches that ruined my concentration.

Eta: I never understood the girls that didn't bring water to school every day. How people go for 8+ hours without drinking is beyond me. And so unhealthy too!!! On hot days there were several times that girls fainted due to dehydration, and we had pretty good AC!

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:45 am
amother Lavender wrote:

Asking seriously.

Kids are active. They run around at recess and play. Air-conditioners cool things off, but they also make the air drier. People get thirsty. Our bodies use water to metabolize our food, to aid digestion, maintain proper body temperature, etc.

How distracting can it be for a kid to sip from his own water bottle every once in a while?

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:52 am
However distracting it is to drink, it is more distracting to be thirsty...

And however distracting it is to go to the bathroom, it is more distracting to be worrying about needing the bathroom, or worse, needing it but being unable to go...

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:09 am
Being denied water is just so old fashioned and horrible. Let the kid drink man… which then brings up the topics of using the bathroom too much.
I’ve heard and seen girls in my public elementary school and high school having a full blown period and not being allowed to go to the bathroom to put on a pad or a tampon 😬 or a small child not being able to hold it in anymore…. Is your lecture/lesson worth more than a kid’s embarrassment?!
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics