Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Salary Question
1  2  Next

Salary should be (only answer if you live in lakewood please)
 3%  [ 3 ]
 4%  [ 4 ]
 11%  [ 10 ]
 15%  [ 14 ]
Less than 35k  
 3%  [ 3 ]
More than 50k  
 39%  [ 35 ]
Voting to see responses  
 22%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 89

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 11:18 pm
Office position.

Smaller office setting, so responsible for a lot. Hours 9:30-3, but really work a lot outside of those hours - take calls, answer emails…

What do you think salary should be?

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 11:36 pm
how many yrs office experience?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 11:37 pm
I voted more than 50k but the big question is how many yrs exp. That might change my vote drastically

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:28 am
Around 8 years of office experience and 6 in the field.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:15 am
Bumping for day crowd.

Also if the hours were 5 less a week, do you think salary should change if responsibilities are the same? Let’s say 9:30-2:30 or 10-2:30.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:50 am
I voted over 50k but that answer would only be for a minimum of 25 hours in office/week.

If you're talking about 10-2:30 I think that's asking for a lot (yes, there are offices that will pay it but it's still considered a lot...)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:54 am
amother Red wrote:
I voted over 50k but that answer would only be for a minimum of 25 hours in office/week.

If you're talking about 10-2:30 I think that's asking for a lot (yes, there are offices that will pay it but it's still considered a lot...)

Even if the employee is taking calls at 9 am or 4 pm? And answering emails/messages, etc.?

amother
Red

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 11:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Even if the employee is taking calls at 9 am or 4 pm? And answering emails/messages, etc.?

First of all, how often are you taking these calls? How often are you answering these emails? Is it part of the job - and happening frequently? Or is it that you're available when something important comes up once in two weeks.

Second, like I said, there are absolutely offices in Lakewood that will pay it. However, it is not the standard. Especially for the 10-2:30 option - that's 4.5 hours/day. Can you find someone who will pay it to you? Yes. Is it more than the average going rate? Yes.

With 8 years experience, 6 in the field, you can easily expect between 35-40/hour converted to a salary. Possibly with some off time.
10-2:30 is about 20 hours/week of actual office time. That comes to about 45/hour. Which is higher than average but not unheard of...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:19 pm
amother Red wrote:
First of all, how often are you taking these calls? How often are you answering these emails? Is it part of the job - and happening frequently? Or is it that you're available when something important comes up once in two weeks.

Second, like I said, there are absolutely offices in Lakewood that will pay it. However, it is not the standard. Especially for the 10-2:30 option - that's 4.5 hours/day. Can you find someone who will pay it to you? Yes. Is it more than the average going rate? Yes.

With 8 years experience, 6 in the field, you can easily expect between 35-40/hour converted to a salary. Possibly with some off time.
10-2:30 is about 20 hours/week of actual office time. That comes to about 45/hour. Which is higher than average but not unheard of...

I wasn’t saying above 50k should be the norm.

I’m opening a conversation, and trying to get information for what is expected in Lakewood. This is why I put the poll. Smile

I do feel that Lakewood runs differently than other cities, and therefore hours and expectations are different.

Now to answer your specific questions: calls, text messages and emails outside of the “in office” hours are not just “once every two weeks”. I would say almost daily, if not daily. I also think it was assumed there was no work Friday- which is not the case. Hours are shorter.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wasn’t saying above 50k should be the norm.

I’m opening a conversation, and trying to get information for what is expected in Lakewood. This is why I put the poll. Smile

I do feel that Lakewood runs differently than other cities, and therefore hours and expectations are different.

Now to answer your specific questions: calls, text messages and emails outside of the “in office” hours are not just “once every two weeks”. I would say almost daily, if not daily. I also think it was assumed there was no work Friday- which is not the case. Hours are shorter.

I’m a Lakewood mom working 10-2, answering calls emails and texts out of hours and working almost every night remote so I know exactly what’s going on in Lakewood Smile
Don’t think anywhere else in the world would pay $40/hour for office work…

I assumed 10-12 Friday max based on typical childcare hours here which is why I said a 20 hour work week… 18+2

I still feel that for the hours of 10-2:30, the expectation of over 50k is steep. It’s more than most people working those hours are making. Though yes there are people that will pay it - you may need to try a few places because it is an above average expectation. (I make more than that. But I’m the only one in my office. Most people don’t make such money for these hours.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:20 pm
amother Red wrote:
I’m a Lakewood mom working 10-2, answering calls emails and texts out of hours and working almost every night remote so I know exactly what’s going on in Lakewood Smile
Don’t think anywhere else in the world would pay $40/hour for office work…

I assumed 10-12 Friday max based on typical childcare hours here which is why I said a 20 hour work week… 18+2

I still feel that for the hours of 10-2:30, the expectation of over 50k is steep. It’s more than most people working those hours are making. Though yes there are people that will pay it - you may need to try a few places because it is an above average expectation. (I make more than that. But I’m the only one in my office. Most people don’t make such money for these hours.)

The term “office work” is very broad. A receptionist or customer service rep will not make $40 an hour, but someone doing a little bit of everything to keep an office running can and may.

Again, I do not necessarily expect above 50k. There’s a reason that most of the amounts are lower, and that there is one vote for above 50k.

I really wanted to hear everyone’s views, and I appreciate you taking the time to give me your input!

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:33 pm
What other benefits are there? How flexible are they for sick days etc?

50k for 930-3 is generous but not unheard of. For 10–230 I think it’s really asking a lot!

I work from 930-3 and make 45k. I have 8 years exp. I answer some emails after work hours. I feel my salary is very decent and generous.
Just last year the going rate was much less!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:03 pm
amother Peru wrote:
What other benefits are there? How flexible are they for sick days etc?

50k for 930-3 is generous but not unheard of. For 10–230 I think it’s really asking a lot!

I work from 930-3 and make 45k. I have 8 years exp. I answer some emails after work hours. I feel my salary is very decent and generous.
Just last year the going rate was much less!

Benefits - there are none officially. I consider the flexibility a benefit… and paid Yom Tov, while extremely generous, is the norm here in Lakewood.

You mention you answer email sometimes at night. Do people call and text you you at 9 am or 3:30, 4, pm etc on an almost daily basis?

I guess the real question is: when you leave work, do you feel like you are leaving work? Are you busy with work items at home between 3-5 pm or even 8 pm? Are you relied on after and before hours?

Just last year, the world was a very different place….

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:40 pm
Flexibility is definitely a pro but it’s not an official benefit. Benefits would be something like health insurance, 401k etc.
my job has no benefits but tremendous flexibility ie I can take off sick days (answering emails from home) and erev yt etc.
I am also flexible so I am willing to stay late sometimes or attend after hours events etc.

I don’t feel constant pressure at home. I’d say maybe 10-20% of the time do I feel pressured by work while I’m at home. Meaning, pressured to take a call or answer an email, or pressured to rearrange my family’s needs so I can attend a work related event.

If you need to respond every day, I think it’s definitely fair to ask for 50 k. I would hate that constant pressure and would not want a job like that!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 4:07 pm
amother Peru wrote:
Flexibility is definitely a pro but it’s not an official benefit. Benefits would be something like health insurance, 401k etc.
my job has no benefits but tremendous flexibility ie I can take off sick days (answering emails from home) and erev yt etc.
I am also flexible so I am willing to stay late sometimes or attend after hours events etc.

I don’t feel constant pressure at home. I’d say maybe 10-20% of the time do I feel pressured by work while I’m at home. Meaning, pressured to take a call or answer an email, or pressured to rearrange my family’s needs so I can attend a work related event.

If you need to respond every day, I think it’s definitely fair to ask for 50 k. I would hate that constant pressure and would not want a job like that!

Thanks!
Do you work in Lakewood?

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 4:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!
Do you work in Lakewood?

Yes.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 6:38 pm
First, working 6-8 years means you probably started at 12 an hour and now that you are earning 40 an hour sounds very generous. HOWEVER, the rate for girls straight out of school/sem is about 25-35 on average. Yes, it is an employees market and places are desperate to hire.

I have more than 5 years experience, work 9:30 to 2:30 and am earning a little over 50K. I still feel like I can be getting more based on my qualifications.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 8:13 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
First, working 6-8 years means you probably started at 12 an hour and now that you are earning 40 an hour sounds very generous. HOWEVER, the rate for girls straight out of school/sem is about 25-35 on average. Yes, it is an employees market and places are desperate to hire.

I have more than 5 years experience, work 9:30 to 2:30 and am earning a little over 50K. I still feel like I can be getting more based on my qualifications.

Where are girls right out of sem earning 35 an hour?
I do hear 25 all over (which itself is high).

amother
Peru

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 8:16 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
Where are girls right out of sem earning 35 an hour?
I do hear 25 all over (which itself is high).

Right. Places that advertise they’re looking for entry level, it’s because they want to pay $25 instead of $35-40

momallhours

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 9:06 pm
Big question is what is the field and job description?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries