Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Brooklyn vs Monsey
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:18 pm
You can rent out your house in monsey for the summer-as this is very desirable

And continue to enjoy your upstate summer home

Cookiegirl

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 11:11 pm
Pomona, Wesley Hills, Spring Valley, Forshay, Parts of "main" Monsey- mostly "up the hill", some parts of Montebello would be the better age group. Home prices may be slightly higher than some of the other places mentioned...but we are seeing turnover/for sale signs, so there is availability.

You can either stay in Monsey all year round or if you love the mountains, rent out your Monsey home and continue to go upstate. Both ways work...

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 4:27 am
amother Dahlia wrote:
Airmont is gorgeous! Definitely nicer than New City.

That's your opinion. I have mine. From what I've seen, Airmont is very sunny. I prefer a forest feel.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 4:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for your perspective. Which of the above 'enclaves' would be most suitable for a couple in their 40s-50s who are neither chasidish or yeshivish --just plain sincerely frum, worldly people who are not exceptionally 'social butterflies' but appreciate being a part of a warm, friendly community?

I think others will be able to answer this question better than I can. I'm stuck in the cholent, so I can't really answer that question well as I haven't experienced, personally, living in other areas.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 4:30 am
Oh, actually maybe Forshay area!
There is an amazing shul there with shiurim for the whole family. It's an awesome place, from what I hear.
Rabbi YY Jacobson is employed there to speak. Jews from all stripes frequent it.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 4:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Also, what are the summers like in the Monsey area as compared with upstate? Can we really give up our summer home /rent it out, and spend our summer comfortably in Monsey instead?

Summer is hot, but if you are in an area that is higher in elevation, like some of the Spook Rock or Pomona areas, then it can be a good few degrees cooler.

The most important thing is to get a property with nice shade trees if you want to enjoy the weather. If not, it's just too hot for my specific taste. Trees make a massive difference.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 5:59 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Summer is hot, but if you are in an area that is higher in elevation, like some of the Spook Rock or Pomona areas, then it can be a good few degrees cooler.

The most important thing is to get a property with nice shade trees if you want to enjoy the weather. If not, it's just too hot for my specific taste. Trees make a massive difference.

Yes, trees give shade and tranquility. I always feel calmer when I am surrounded by greenery. I look forward to having more of that in my life.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 6:08 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Oh, actually maybe Forshay area!
There is an amazing shul there with shiurim for the whole family. It's an awesome place, from what I hear.
Rabbi YY Jacobson is employed there to speak. Jews from all stripes frequent it.

Is Forshay part of Monsey proper, as opposed to nearby towns?

I tried looking for RE there online, and what came up were really expensive homes in Monsey itself.

The problem is that the newer developing areas that would be more affordable (below 1 million) and/or with the more reasonable taxes (below 18k) are populated by young couples. We are in our early fifties, and I am hoping to meet other frum women who are in a similar age group. At this stage in my life, when I am not as busy with the kids anymore, I feel a need to have a sense of community and friendship. I am concerned that I will feel lonely if I would be the 'elder' of the block.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 6:09 am
amother OP wrote:

I tried looking for RE there online, and what came up were really expensive homes in Monsey itself.

The problem is that the newer developing areas that would be more affordable (below 1 million) and/or with the more reasonable taxes (below 18k) are populated by young couples. We are in our early fifties, and I am hoping to meet other frum women who are in a similar age group. At this stage in my life, when I am not as busy with the kids anymore, I feel a need to have a sense of community and friendship. I am concerned that I will feel lonely if I would be the 'elder' of the block.

Look into the 55+ communities. They are made for couples like you. Lower taxes because they are attached.

Not_in_my_town

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 6:13 am
amother OP wrote:

Forshay is definately part of Monsey proper. Rabbi YY has a weekly shiur he gives for women. It's a very popular place for women to meet and learn. You might find a sense of community there. But you'd have to try it out to know for sure. I don't live in the area, so I can't say for sure.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 6:14 am
Cookiegirl wrote:
Pomona, Wesley Hills, Spring Valley, Forshay, Parts of "main" Monsey- mostly "up the hill", some parts of Montebello would be the better age group. Home prices may be slightly higher than some of the other places mentioned...but we are seeing turnover/for sale signs, so there is availability.

You can either stay in Monsey all year round or if you love the mountains, rent out your Monsey home and continue to go upstate. Both ways work...

Thanks for this info. Is any of the above areas both more affordable, as well as have couples in their forties /fifties?

Regarding renting our (prospective) Monsey home and continue going upstate: I don't think we would be comfortable renting our primary residence. We would also need to work during the summer, and couldn't do it upstate. But renting our upstate place may be an option, and probably the only way we could afford the property taxes on a Monsey home.

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 6:18 am
The Radishitz/Steinwuhrzl area of Airmont has plenty over 40 couples/families. Taxes within the East Ramapo school district are cheaper than those in the Suffern Central district so look out for the border.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 6:18 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
Look into the 55+ communities. They are made for couples like you. Lower taxes because they are attached.

Can you please say something more about 55+ communities that are made for couples like us. This is just all new territory for me.

And we would be looking for a detached (both sides) home with privacy, nice size back yard and a private driveway. One of the main reasons we are looking to move out of Brooklyn is that our shared driveway situation has become intolerable.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 6:22 am
amother Currant wrote:
The Radishitz/Steinwuhrzl area of Airmont has plenty over 40 couples/families. Taxes within the East Ramapo school district are cheaper than those in the Suffern Central district so look out for the border.

Awesome! That's really helpful. Thank you! Smile

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 7:42 am
amother OP wrote:
Awesome! That's really helpful. Thank you! Smile

It’s super chassidish.

The attached 55+ Developments are gorgeous. They are newly build and upgraded. The ones I’ve seen have separate driveways. There’s one in high view and one in new Hempstead off the top of my head.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 10:02 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
It’s super chassidish.

The attached 55+ Developments are gorgeous. They are newly build and upgraded. The ones I’ve seen have separate driveways. There’s one in high view and one in new Hempstead off the top of my head.

Super Chasidish wouldn't be a good fit for us. We are litvish, and not yeshivish at that. Just plain sincerely frum but worldly professionals. Any other ideas for areas that would be a better match perhaps?

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 12:22 pm
I live in chestnut ridge. We bought when we were in our early forties and our area is definetely young. But they are plenty of "older" families too, who like us bought late or relocated and couldnt afford ithe older areas. The big advantage for us is that our married children feel very comfortable in our community and one of them actually recently moved close by.
I think that is the case too in airmont, new hempstead, new city etc.
Summers here are fabulous. Many people own pools. We have stopped going to the country once we moved here.
There is no comparing the quality of life in brooklyn. Even in traffic in main monsy could get pretty bad, it still doesnt compare to brooklyns traffic. Depending on where you choose to shop, you could avoid most of the traffic.
Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:53 am
amother Grape wrote:
I live in chestnut ridge. We bought when we were in our early forties and our area is definetely young. But they are plenty of "older" families too, who like us bought late or relocated and couldnt afford ithe older areas. The big advantage for us is that our married children feel very comfortable in our community and one of them actually recently moved close by.
I think that is the case too in airmont, new hempstead, new city etc.
Summers here are fabulous. Many people own pools. We have stopped going to the country once we moved here.
There is no comparing the quality of life in brooklyn. Even in traffic in main monsy could get pretty bad, it still doesnt compare to brooklyns traffic. Depending on where you choose to shop, you could avoid most of the traffic.
Hatzlacha!

Hi! Smile
I did an online search for homes for sale in Chestnut Ridge and homes in Pearl River came up.
Are there frum families in Pearl River? What kind? Any shuls that are walking distance? Thanks again.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 8:41 am
Op, Monsey has became very very chassidish in the past years. I'm a vienner type who grew up in Monsey and I'm almost 40, there is barely anyone like me left...things shifted to the right.
The middle age litvish couples I grew up with, they mostly sold their houses ( to chassidim) and moved to lakewood, becasue their children are there. ( I'm talking about all types of litvish)
The only areas I could think is forshay, up the hill / west maple area, maybe concord? College rd area as well. Older families live on those areas. Are they friendly and welcoming ppl ? Some yes, some not.
Outskirts crowd is young.
You could be my friend if you move, I'm currently pregnant and my oldest child is a teenager. I have friends of all ages.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:49 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
Op, Monsey has became very very chassidish in the past years. I'm a vienner type who grew up in Monsey and I'm almost 40, there is barely anyone like me left...things shifted to the right.
The middle age litvish couples I grew up with, they mostly sold their houses ( to chassidim) and moved to lakewood, becasue their children are there. ( I'm talking about all types of litvish)
The only areas I could think is forshay, up the hill / west maple area, maybe concord? College rd area as well. Older families live on those areas. Are they friendly and welcoming ppl ? Some yes, some not.
Outskirts crowd is young.
You could be my friend if you move, I'm currently pregnant and my oldest child is a teenager. I have friends of all ages.

Thanks so much for this helpful information, and for being so welcoming! I appreciate it. Is there a way we could pm each other directly? I'm going to be in the Monsey area tomorrow and was hoping to take a look around.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating