Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Her Majesty the Queen has Passed Away
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:19 am
Is anyone else following?
I've been following The Crown, she is 96 and she reigned for over 70 years. How would the world be without the Queen?

estherj

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:45 am
What does she do for the world now? I barely note the fact that she exists.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:49 am
She is a good person, and contributes to the world, but I don’t think she actually DOES anything that would drastically change the world.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:49 am
estherj wrote:
What does she do for the world now? I barely note the fact that she exists.

Gosh, what a charming addition to the thread.

She’s the Queen. She’s reigned for 70 years. She has done a LOT for the commonwealth and especially for the UK. At this point she’s mostly just a figurehead but she still does a lot maybe not for you but for many others.

I hope she pulls through but preparing for the worst. It will be a weird transition I have to say.

iyar

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 10:14 am
The Queen doesn't do much for her country or for the world but she's a link to a different world that doesn't exist anymore, for better and for worse.
Many feel that the huge sums the royal family costs the UK are justifiable only in terms of the revenue produced by the tourist industry because of popular fascination with the royals. I've never been a fan one way or the other but to me the queen's dignified appearance and modest dress are admirable, and historically she led her country through wars and troubled times with grace.
She also serves another purpose. We live in a world where freedom of speech gives us the right to speak contemptuously about our leaders. The idea of fear or respect for another person is completely foreign to our culture and is considered unhealthy. We have a hard time relating to the concept of a melech that literally held the lives of his subjects in the palm of of his hand. Even though the queen is a figurehead and has no power at all, certainly no power to decide if a person lives or dies, it helps to see the pomp and circumstance surrounding a monarch.
This time of year when we're supposed to be mamlich a melech I'm always aware of how much harder it is for us today than it was when there was a czar, a kaiser, or an emperor in our lives. We're better off without them, but even though it's just the palest shadow of real melucha as it can exist among human beings, it was nice to have a Queen somewhere to remind us.

s1

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 10:17 am
Iyar- really well said!
I show photos of the coronation when I teach about Rosh Hashana, and have used the royal dress codes when teaching About tznius.

monkeymamma

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:17 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Is anyone else following?
I've been following The Crown, she is 96 and she reigned for over 70 years. How would the world be without the Queen?

Lehavdil, we had so many Rabbis pass away in the last two years, someone else took over the leadership and we are all still alive to tell the tale. This is how life works, people get old and die and the younger ones take over. The Queen isnt young, she is 96 and has had a good life. The next person will take over which is Charles so the royal dynasty will continue. The question is, should Charles be allowed to take over when white men are no longer welcome in England? And if Charles will take over then will William, who comes after him still be allowed to take over considering that he too is a white man? Its sad that there is straight up discrimination against white men and the royal family isnt saying anything against it so maybe they will stop the discrimination against white if they face it themselves and are not allowed to be kings.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news.....0wall

https://wpde.com/news/nation-w.....-says

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:27 am
s1 wrote:
Iyar- really well said!
I show photos of the coronation when I teach about Rosh Hashana, and have used the royal dress codes when teaching About tznius.

The queens coronation gown wasn’t tznius per our standards.

It wasn’t until the queen got older that she got more tznius. Diana (when she was alive), Kate, Meghan, etc CAN be tznius but often choose not to be.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:29 am
I think it’s fascinating that all you have to do is say “The Queen”, and most of the developed world knows who you’re referring to. Even in areas with a monarchy.

I wonder sometimes what she did to merit long life - with basically all faculties. It’s amazing.

sequoia

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:32 am
imorethanamother wrote:

I wonder sometimes what she did to merit long life - with basically all faculties. It’s amazing.

Fresh air and exercise.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:34 am
imorethanamother wrote:

It wasn’t until the queen got older that she got more tznius. Diana (when she was alive), Kate, Meghan, etc CAN be tznius but often choose not to be.

Not tznius per our standards, but quite modest for a gown in the secular world.
And you can't compare Diana and Kate with Meghan. Kate's outfits are usually quite modest and refined, even if they don't adhere to the exact standards of tznius.

s1

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:36 am
imorethanamother wrote:

It’s not that they are always totally tznius, it’s that they have rules and guidelines of how they must dress in public, because they are royalty. They don’t complain (presumably!) as they know this is what they represent. Same with us being Bnos Melochim…

worldtraveller

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:39 am
Many people misunderstand the role of the monarch.

Their duties are to attend engagements and shine the spotlight on organisations so that it brings them more success in terms of donations and support.

They are not celebrities who pose for cameras except when it's out of work or an official picture with the organisation they visited.

That is why people are so put off by Meghan. She is using her title Dutchess of Sussex to make Millions and for celebrity status.

She feuds with the family and keeps on trashing them, perhaps she should stop using her title if they are the horrible "firm" she makes them out to be.

The queen is a selfless person and she must be so bewildered at Meghan and Harry's narcassitic personalites and actions.

Congresswoman

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:44 am
I have nothing against the queen.

But I find the concept of blood line and being royal because you were born into a specific family very outdated and elitist.

This day and age, one should earn a title.

Last edited by Congresswoman on Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

worldtraveller

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:48 am
Congresswoman wrote:

But I find the concept of blood line and being royal because you were born into a specific family very outdated and elitist.

This day and age, people should deserve a title.

What about Kohanim, leviim and Rebbes?

Pretty similar idea.

Judaism does support class.

Nowadays it's outdated thus it being a onstitutional monarch.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:51 am
Congresswoman wrote:

This day and age, people should deserve a title.

Completely and utterly true. However.

Human nature is not this way. The royal family is set up as a family devoted to the service of the country. Their job, from childhood, is to theoretically negate personal ambition and goals and use their money, fame, and popularity to help the people.

We could argue whether that’s the case, but democracy doesn’t have the same outcome regardless. As ineffective as Charles is, and spoiled, he isn’t corrupt like every single one of our politicians. Democratic politicians go into the field to make lots of money. The royal family isn’t worried about making money, they worry about keeping it. Different priorities.

If you got rid of the royal family, you’d never find another person who was so extremely influential, and didn’t worry about making money, that devoted his life to charitable causes. Possibly Bill Gates, is the best I can come up with, and after his divorce he hasn’t done much. I think Melissa was more the driving force there.

4g01o

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:53 am
Apparently she died but they're only announcing it later.
No idea how this person knows though. She asks everyone is talking about it!

Roseflower

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:54 am
Fab4 wrote:
Apparently she died but they're only announcing it later.
No idea how this person knows though. She asks everyone is talking about it!

Heard this too.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:55 am
worldtraveller wrote:
Many people misunderstand the role of the monarch.

Their duties are to attend engagements and shine the spotlight on organisations so that it brings them more success in terms of donations and support.

They are not celebrities who pose for cameras except when it's out of work or an official picture with the organisation they visited.

That is why people are so put off by Meghan. She is using her title Dutchess of Sussex to make Millions and for celebrity status.

She feuds with the family and keeps on trashing them, perhaps she should stop using her title if they are the horrible "firm" she makes them out to be.

The queen is a selfless person and she must be so bewildered at Meghan and Harry's narcassitic personalites and actions.

I’m completely with you about Meghan and Harry. I will say though that William and Kate have an extremely expensive PR firm that works around the clock to promote every little move they make. As you can see, I’m interested in the royal family, so my Apple news is constantly sending me a million articles that are clearly crafted by a cunning PR team.

“Kate secretly donated her hair seven years ago to a cancer patient!” (Secretly, huh?)

“Kate melted this girls heart when she said this”

“William pained by his brothers absence”

“Kate got a haircut!”

Etc etc. The Queen disliked Diana because she behaved like a celebrity. Her children, even William and Kate, are following in those footsteps.

4g01o

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:58 am
They cancelled the changing of the guards today amongst other tell tail signs.
The family are all gathering at Balmoral now.
This is insane!!
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics