Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Bm in his pull up

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:04 pm
So my son is 3.5 years old. He's fully potty trained during the day. For almost a year now. He sleeps in a pull up because hes not dry at night. Thing is, often he would wake up in the morning and poop in his pull up. He's smart enough to understand that he shouldn't. I try to talk to him, bribe him. And nothing. The only time he doesn't do it is when his bm schedule so to speak changes and he goes in the afternoon.

I do know how it started. When I first trained him he would sometimes wake up really early and go to the bathroom. Sometimes he would sit there for a while, waiting to be wiped, till anyone heard him. I'm afraid that caused him to feel safer to just do it in his pull up.

I need help in getting him out of this habit. Has anyone been through this? Any advice?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:06 pm
Wake up earlier than him and take him to the bathroom. But once he gets used to it again you need to hear him call. Can you put a baby monitor in the hall near the bathroom so that you can hear him better?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:07 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
Wake up earlier than him and take him to the bathroom. But once he gets used to it again you need to hear him call. Can you put a baby monitor in the hall near the bathroom so that you can hear him better?

I tried that. He doesn't go on demand. He claims he doesn't have to go.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:11 pm
Why is this a problem?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
I tried that. He doesn't go on demand. He claims he doesn't have to go.

Dress him early so he's not wearing the pull up

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:26 pm
I have a similar problem, but my son never does BM on the toilet! I think he is scared. He just turned 4 and has been trained for over a year. He has full control over his BMs, he just insists on doing them in the pull-up. If I don't let him use the pull-up, he just holds it in until he has an accident. I'm torn between being tough about it, and just letting him go when he wants to. Bribing, etc. hasn't worked at all. I'm looking for any advice, too.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:28 pm
amother Linen wrote:
I have a similar problem, but my son never does BM on the toilet! I think he is scared. He just turned 4 and has been trained for over a year. He has full control over his BMs, he just insists on doing them in the pull-up. If I don't let him use the pull-up, he just holds it in until he has an accident. I'm torn between being tough about it, and just letting him go when he wants to. Bribing, etc. hasn't worked at all. I'm looking for any advice, too.

I'd let him have the Pull-ups and just let it go for a while.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:28 pm
My son did the same till he was around 5! Drove me nuts! Eventually it stopped.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:30 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I'd let him have the Pull-ups and just let it go for a while.

Until when? I've let it go for a long time already. But he's getting so big! It's hard to change a big kid like that. I don't know how he'll suddenly decide it's not a scary thing to do.

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:31 pm
My almost 4 yr old won’t poop on the potty. He used to before he was trained. He holds and will go in the pull-up. Once in while I catch him about to go and he’ll get in the toilet. I just had. A baby so im letting it go for now but im going to try to train him more after Tishrei.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:39 pm
amother Linen wrote:
Until when? I've let it go for a long time already. But he's getting so big! It's hard to change a big kid like that. I don't know how he'll suddenly decide it's not a scary thing to do.

He's big enough to change himself. Is that an option for you?

The emotional piece takes longer for some kids. Usually by 4.5, then the confident leadership piece comes in--you turn the problem over to the kid. They manage their bowel movements by themselves, maybe with diapers/Pull-ups and maybe those run out. And you are confident that they can do this, barring medical issues.

Hopefully, it will help just to have the topic dropped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training