Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Should I quit?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:02 pm
I teach toddlers. Usually, two year olds who were turning three . Last year I had ten two year olds, most of whom turned three during that year (one or two did not either summer or fall birthdays) and one fifteen month old . This year I have four fifteen month olds and the rest are somewhere around twenty four months- give or take a few.
The problem is I work about nine to ten hours on an average day. I have a nine month old at home (daycare) she is not old enough to go to my school and when she is- at fifteen months- she will not be able to join my class because we are already jam packed to legal capacity. I have never taught babies this little before and never with a baby of my own at home. Basically I get incredibly sad fielding calls from nervous parents all day and reassuring them that their baby is fine and having a good time and helping their baby with the separation, and whenever I’m holding one of my youngest toddlers and they do something my daughter does. I can’t even call my babies daycare because there a strict no cell phones policy and no Wi-Fi or reception in our building so we’re treating parent much better then we’re treating staff. I have no contact with my daughters daycare all day. There are a lot of other issues with my job and the way it treats teachers(not obeying laws about nursing is a big one. Work has really significantly impacted my ability to nurse and I’m really sour about t. I don’t know. Should I quit my job? It’s financially feasible for maybe a few months. DH makes a decent salary but cost of living is so high we really need both our salaries to eat and save up for eventual day school/ BY / yeshiva tuitions (iyH)

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:07 pm
Regarding salary, you can find a different job easily. You have experience.

Frumme

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:21 pm
Re nursing laws. I'd get a lawyer to draft a warning to the school for not allotting you time to nurse or pump. Especially if you're thinking about leaving already, what do you have to lose?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:25 pm
My opinion is that you should give it a bit more time. The year just started.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:32 pm
And my opinion is that you should quit and stay home with your baby. Your baby should not be away from you for so many hours each day, and should not be limited in nursing so you can work.

TravelHearter

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:35 pm
I’m sorry that you’re going through this.
I just wanted to put it out there that most parents don’t have contact with their baby’s daycares during the day. In fact, some of my young kids are where I work (not in the same class as me) and I don’t hear or ask anything until the end of the day.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:36 pm
Babysitting/teacher jobs are plentiful. If this specific place doesn't work for you find a place that does. In fact find a place where you can bring your baby for free or open up your own.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:11 pm
This sounds really crazy. Where I send my daughter (daycare) teachers are automatically allowed to bring their own kids because they go through all ages. But if that’s not possible I would not spend my entire day watching other peoples kids while my kid gets cuddled by strangers.

I’m todays market I would leave and either look for another job (if you’re in monsey I know of one!) or find another kid/ two to watch at home with my child.

(I say this as someone who works and my kid is in daycare full time)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics