Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do you tell your kids you bought them the ‘knockoff’

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 8:43 am
Or do they think they have the real thing?

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 8:47 am
I would not try to pass a knock off as real. If one classmate knows the difference, you kid will be the laughing stock.

But actually I don’t buy knock offs. I think there is an element of genevah there. Additionally, I think it teaches materialism and the wrong values. I have no problem with buying something less expensive in a similar style, but I have a huge issue with knock offs

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 8:52 am
My kids don’t seem to care. I wouldn’t lie . If they’re old enough to know the difference and they care they are welcome to add the difference from their own money.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:04 am
My child knows we arent paying x for y and she knows we will gladly pay z for y and those arent real. She could care less.
Id never lie to my children. That, in my opinion is a terrible thing to do in this instance. Whats the point of such a lie?

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:05 am
I would

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:11 am
I don’t buy knockoffs and I discourage being swept in by name brands but I was genuinely curious if girls think they have $800 coats when they actually don’t.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:31 am
Its not so much I tell my kids, its more likely that they find the item and ask me to buy it so they know anyway.
One time a relative lent dd a piece of clothing and told her it was the real thing. Dd didn't know much about the brand but she liked the item and happily wore it. She came home saying her friends were aghast it was the real thing so we looked it up and saw the cost is way way above average. I asked relative again and she brushed it off saying yes it's a real copy, it was still very pricey. I know what she meant, but she caused dd to very embarrassed I think it would have been better if she had just been truthful from the beginning.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:33 am
I would be horrified if my mom spent tons of money on a brand name item and would be so thrilled if she tells me she found a good knockoff. I would tell my kids.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 1:12 pm
I don't buy knockoffs and I don't buy pretentious brand names. Neither is a value I would have wished to pass along to my children. I buy decent-quality merchandise of no particular brand unless there's a specific reason to choose it, such as it fits better. My "brand names" for children look like Carter's and Jumping Jacks.

Buying a knockoff is illegal because the knockoff is violating trademark rights, that's number 1. And number 2, passing it off as the real thing is genevat da'at. A child is still a person. Better to bring up children not to thirst for "designer" names than to lie to them. What kind of values do such people think they're instilling in their children?

(And then in 30 years they'll wonder where they went wrong when their child is convicted of fraud.)

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 10:02 pm
My 12 year old daughter became very aware of name brands recently. She was always into her clothing but caring about name brands takes things to a different level. I’m a very simple person. Often I didn’t have much to spend on clothing so going all out for the sake of a name brand goes against everything I stand for. My daughter saved for a few things and I let her use her own money for it. Then she discovered ali and shein and she went crazy. She couldn’t believe she could buy exactly what she wanted for pennies.
Recently I took her shopping for yomtov. I knew I would spend a significant amount because it was the frum stores and it’s usually not cheap. She just couldn’t handle the prices now that she knows it’s possible to buy nice things for less. She kept telling me that she wants to find clothing that looks nice online. I actually had to argue with her to buy a skirt!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics