Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Would you travel on the NYC subway system these days?
1  2  3  Next

For non urgent matters, would you avoid the trains these days?
Definitely! The situation has gotten terrible.  
 39%  [ 50 ]
No. I did avoid NYC subway system over the last year or so, but the situation has improved.  
 3%  [ 5 ]
What's the big deal?  
 36%  [ 47 ]
I have never felt safe using the NYC subway  
 20%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 128

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 11:58 am
Is it still considered unsafe?
I used to take the train pretty often with or without my kids to do shopping in Manhattan, appointments, children's museums, Central Park Zoo, etc. Haven't done it recently, though due to the situation.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:00 pm
I do, every day for work. It's fine, never had any issues at all.

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:02 pm
I do, for work, during busier times. It’s okay. Not amazing but I daven on the way there and listen to a shiur on the way back so I’m not really present to see the crazies.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:04 pm
NO
There was a terrible story in this morning’s news
Victim a 15 year old girl R”L

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:08 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
NO

Wow! Terrible. Did not hear this. Where was this?

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:10 pm
I take it all the time for doctors' appointments and work. Never had an issue. That said, I usually only take the Q train that goes from Midwood to upper manhattan, or the F train. Also only during daytime hours, never at night.
I don't know if I would feel comfortable going on subway lines that run through bad neighborhoods like the Bronx, crown heights etc

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:12 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
NO

So you mean the 15 year old boy who was playing around and subway surfing and his arm was lost r"l?
Don't scare OP needlessly.

OP it's not the best. I try to avoid it. Will use if really needed.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:12 pm
I would say depends where and which stations you're passing.
There are stories every day. A lot of them don't even get reported.
Stay safe.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:14 pm
I used to take the 4 train to the Bronx everyday from Manhattan when I worked. I'm afraid to take the subway now.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:15 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
I take it all the time for doctors' appointments and work. Never had an issue. That said, I usually only take the Q train that goes from Midwood to upper manhattan, or the F train. Also only during daytime hours, never at night.
I don't know if I would feel comfortable going on subway lines that run through bad neighborhoods like the Bronx, crown heights etc

How about to Downtown Brooklyn area, to Atlantic Terminal or Fulton Mall? How about Coney Island Beach?

scintilla

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:16 pm
amother Petunia wrote:

That's hilarious to me. Crown Heights is not a bad neighborhood any more than any other Jewish neighborhood (at least not the Jewish parts of it, where the subways are. We're not talking Brownsville/east Flatbush here). I take the subway all the time and take my kids on it too, I would think twice about taking it late at night but see literally no problem these days. Certainly between Brooklyn and Manhattan!

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:18 pm
scintilla wrote:
That's hilarious to me. Crown Heights is not a bad neighborhood any more than any other Jewish neighborhood (at least not the Jewish parts of it, where the subways are. We're not talking Brownsville/east Flatbush here). I take the subway all the time and take my kids on it too, I would think twice about taking it late at night but see literally no problem these days. Certainly between Brooklyn and Manhattan!

I'm sorry, I take that back then.

For some reason, I thought there were a lot of incidents there. Glad to hear otherwise!

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:19 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
How about to Downtown Brooklyn area, to Atlantic Terminal or Fulton Mall? How about Coney Island Beach?

The Jay Street terminal has escalators (yay!) and I go there for my physical therapy, near Fulton Mall. No issues at all. We take any excuse we can to go to Coney Island on the F, and the trains are never crowded.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:20 pm
I have no choice since I live in NYC and don't possess a car. I prefer buses but they can take forever and even longer if there's heavy traffic. A trip that took 20 minutes by bus in 1977 now takes 45. Do I feel safe on the subway? No, but past blissfully ignorant childhood I don't think I ever felt truly safe. The 1970s were a nightmare and now is just a rerun.

scintilla

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:21 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
I'm sorry, I take that back then.

For some reason, I thought there were a lot of incidents there. Glad to hear otherwise!

No offense taken:) just wanted OP to know if she was planning on travelling there.

@Amelia Bedelia I took the subway to all the places you mentioned over the summer, some with my kids, some with my husband, some alone. Was totally fine and did not feel any safety concerns.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:28 pm
I've been taking it a lot lately. 3, 4, d, n, wherever. Doctor appointments, family outings. I can't say I feel safe, but I don't feel any less safe than our fine Brooklyn streets.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:33 pm
My girls used to take the train to and from high school. We moved out of NY after one incident too many. (That was far from our main reason for moving, but the train did become problematic.)

I took the train a few times during our last year there and I had some scary encounters.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:42 pm
ra_mom wrote:
So you mean the 15 year old boy who was playing around and subway surfing and his arm was lost r"l?
Don't scare OP needlessly.

OP it's not the best. I try to avoid it. Will use if really needed.

No— there was a rape R”L
A 15 year old female tourist

Not looking to scare anyone just answering ops question

exhausted

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:44 pm
I take the train from Crown Heights all the time. There are no issues here, police right outside the station as it's in front of 770. I haven't had any incidents going to Atlantic mall, Fulton St. or anywhere in Manhattan.

erm

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:44 pm
its not my first choice mode of transportation but I would use it if I have to
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries