Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Baltimore

lkwdgirl

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 5:57 pm
What is it that Baltimore has such a bad reputation of being Harry’s? What’s the definition of being a Harry? There are definitely some interesting people there but there are in most places. Please explain.

BaltoMom65

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:05 pm
lkwdgirl wrote:
What is it that Baltimore has such a bad reputation of being Harry’s? What’s the definition of being a Harry? There are definitely some interesting people there but there are in most places. Please explain.
WHAT is a Harry???

Lego80

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:18 pm
Since I was a kid, Baltimore has always been made to sound dorky, and extremely "out-of-town", more so than other out of town communities. (not sure why that's a bad thing though). I am originally from out-of-town also, and I did find the Baltimore girls that I went to camp and seminary with to be pretty weird/interesting, no offense. However, I was there last year for a simcha and I really don't see it as being any different than any other out-of-town community, who like you said, OP, has some interesting people. I actually had a great time, bumped into people that married Baltimore guys that I've known for years and everyone seems so happy living there, and the area I was in was aesthetically pleasing as well. I don't know if it was always like this, or if the people I knew back in the day were the typical Baltimore type, but regardless, its a really nice place. Yes, its not Lakewood or Flatbush or Lawrence but it's a wonderful city with a lot to offer.
I think "Harry" a nickname for BT's or people like are exceptionally "out of towny", but I find it to be a rude description and don't like when people use that term since it's not meant as a positive connotation.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:21 pm
Huh. I often find normal people to be rather dull. Hooray for Harrys!

lucky14

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:32 pm
I have nothing to say specifically about Baltimore but do people really still have this attitude as adults? I know kids in camp were like that towards out of towners but really even as adults people are judging a whole community and thinking they are “nerdy”/weird?
Isn’t Baltimore pretty big now? So it’s one big city filled with weirdos?
Just like New York is filled with stuck up snobs? Sigh. I would have assumed people would grow up at some point but I guess not. I’m happy my circle of friends doesn’t talk like this at least. I assume there is a mix of nice and interesting and “nerdy” people everywhere.

(Editing to add that I understand the OP is not saying these things herself but asking why others are saying them).

Boca00

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:40 pm
I went to Baltimore’s Maalot program, and I found it to be such a warm, wonderful community. I loved it and would have really considered moving there if it had worked out.
There are so many well-known Rabbonim and amazing people whom I really respect.
I ate out a lot, and met a lot of nice people while I was there. I did not find it weird at all, and I’ve lived in 3 other communities as well.

Such a strange stereotype, really.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics