Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Would you wake your toddler

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:27 am
If your mornings were flexible would you wake up your toddler so that they are on time to playgroup or just let them wake up when they are ready? I’m so torn. When I follow her cues we are 30-45 minutes late. Is it better to be on time?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:29 am
Yes. Put her to bed earlier l. I think it’s disruptive to the class for her to come late.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:30 am
What time does toddler go to bed? I've never had a toddler who slept late.

leilatov1

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:31 am
If only we would be so lucky to have toddlers that wake up late. Mine are up 6.30

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:32 am
I’m not concerned about her sleep pattern. She doesn’t nap at all so she has a very long stretch at night. She goes to sleep early and she wakes up late.

cupcake123

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:33 am
I would not waker her up

mizle10

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:34 am
Let her sleep! She has the rest of her childhood to be on time.

I had one DD who loveddd lazing around in the morning in bed. She would just relax, then look at books, and then slowly surface for breakfast/to get dressed. I took her whenever she was ready.

mizle10

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:35 am
amother Gold wrote:
Yes. Put her to bed earlier l. I think it’s disruptive to the class for her to come late.

What exactly is going on in a toddler class that can't be disrupted? Playing? Coloring? Singing?

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:38 am
mizle10 wrote:
What exactly is going on in a toddler class that can't be disrupted? Playing? Coloring? Singing?

It disrupts the routine and some children start crying.
OP, maybe ask the teacher if it's ok to bring her late.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:48 am
In my experience the teacher really doesn't mind the child come late, Maybe even happy about it..
Let her sleep!!!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:51 am
amother Mint wrote:
In my experience the teacher really doesn't mind the child come late, Maybe even happy about it..
Let her sleep!!!!
And in my experience its the exact opposite. Ganenit find it very disruptive to the flow if the day with kids coming late.

happymommy12

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:56 am
I think it depends on the playgroup. I have 2 kids in 2 different playgroups. One is strict about coming on time and sent a message saying to Try our best to get the kids there by 8:10/8:15 (they officially open at 7) and if it is after 8:50 to make sure they have eaten breakfast at home bc they will miss the mealtime.
My other kid’s playgroup is much more chilled and laid back. They are happy for the kids to come at any time and will feed them whenever they come.
The first playgroup is much more structured and organized so I guess it bothers them for kids to be just wandering in and out and disrupting the daily schedule. They also said it’s good for the kids to all come at the same time bc then the morah is focused on greeting the kids, if they come in middle of an activity or eating time then the morah is distracted and can’t give the kid coming in the attention they deserve.
I think as long as the playgroup doesn’t mind it is perfectly fine to bring your toddler late and let them sleep. Especially if they aren’t taking any naps during the day! I hate waking up my kids when I know they really need their sleep. They are just miserable and cranky.
If the playgroup does mind then the right thing to do is to try to come on time. Maybe if you wake your kid up early they will take a nap during the day and get on a more “normal” toddler schedule.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:01 am
What age are we talking? My 3 year old also takes his time in the morning. Bedtime is 6:30-7:00 and wakes up about 8:30. I can rush him to be on time for 9 but rather not. I finish with everyone else and then we go at our own pace. As a family we are all still adjusting to this earlier wake up. I think as the year goes on this will be less of an issue.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:03 am
amother Daylily wrote:
What age are we talking? My 3 year old also takes his time in the morning. Bedtime is 6:30-7:00 and wakes up about 8:30. I can rush him to be on time for 9 but rather not. I finish with everyone else and then we go at our own pace. As a family we are all still adjusting to this earlier wake up. I think as the year goes on this will be less of an issue.

momof2+?

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:04 am
I tend to ring my kids late in this situation. I had 1morah over the years that would encourage me to come earlier. She said that by the time I came all the other kids had already settled in their toys and it’s harder (socially) for my kid to break in to a group when he/she is late. This was and older 3s group.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:07 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
And in my experience its the exact opposite. Ganenit find it very disruptive to the flow if the day with kids coming late.

Yes, it can disrupt the class. Even if all they're doing is playing.
I worked in an early headstart and know this first hand.
Please ask the teacher.

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:11 am
amother Mint wrote:
Let her sleep!!!!

This specific teacher is not the teacher of all playgroups..... which is why it's important for OP to discuss it with her daughters teacher.

TravelHearter

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:18 am
I think it depends on the child/playgroup. When I sent my oldest out I felt bad sending him the whole day and was thinking of sending him an hour late every morning (work started later in the morning for me but went into the afternoon). I didn’t end up doing that because I think it feels not so good for the kid. Getting there when everyone else gets there and settling down at the same time as everyone else is different then coming when everyone already ate and did circle time and is playing and he’s thrown off. From his perspective everyone looks confident and happy to be there while he has to settle down, when in reality they all went through the same thing an hour earlier.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics