Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Please help me find my community
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 11:41 am
Hi,

We are looking to move out of Brooklyn. It's more my idea than DH's, but he is willing to do it for my sake because he knows it is important to me. Brooklyn has never been a good fit for us but we stayed because of the kids, and because of the extended family. Now, the kids are grown and the extended family all moved away to different places, so there is nothing really for us here in Brooklyn. We have some friends, but not really a sense of community. It gets lonely sometimes.

We are more 'out of town' type. Not to chalila blemish anyone, but we care more about people and relationships than we care about materialistic things. We love nature and the outdoors, and need our space and our privacy while also seeking to occasionally engage meaningfully with other like-minded people.

We are litvish but not yeshivish. I cover my hair fully, cover elbows & knees but I don't wear stockings, and DH is not a black hatter. We are educated professionals with many interests, but down to earth and relatively low maintenance. We don't need to be surrounded by people who are 100% like us. We are very open and accepting, but we would like to have some Jewish presence around us, with a shul that is walking distance, and the option to meet other people who are around our age and similar haskafa and outlook on life.

As I get older, my patience for sharing a driveway wears thin. I need to be able to come and go without giving a chesbon to anyone. I would also appreciate a house with a master bedroom and a private bathroom, and nice back porch where I can have my morning coffee in peace while surrounded by some greenery.

Any thoughts and suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Not_in_my_town

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 11:43 am
If you can afford, maybe look into Seattle. It's stunning!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 11:43 am
Edison/Highland park

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 11:45 am
Manhattan. Very different.

doctorima

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 11:50 am
What's your budget for a house? That will make a big difference in terms of what communities are viable options.

Also, do you care how OOT it is with respect to Jewish amenities and/or distance from NY/NJ?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 12:02 pm
Look into Orlando. We spent afew weeks there in the summer. It's great place they have some basics established: a girls & boys school -yeshiva.
Check out heir website: https://orlandotorah.com/
Around 65 or so frum families live there, some originally from Queens. I think you would love it there. Houses are approx 450- 500k for a 4 bedroom.
Wishing you lots of success in your search.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 1:04 pm
doctorima wrote:
What's your budget for a house? That will make a big difference in terms of what communities are viable options.

Also, do you care how OOT it is with respect to Jewish amenities and/or distance from NY/NJ?

Our budget is up to around 900k for a house that is fully renovated. We would much prefer if property tax is up to 15k annually (we are currently paying 7k but willing to pay a bit more for the right house).

I should have mentioned that we prefer to stay within the tri-state area, or more specifically NY/NJ. We are quite resourceful, and can manage fine with a shoprite/stop & shop/ TJ/ Aldi for most everyday purchases, and then make a further trip to the Jewish stores once in awhile. Some means of public transportation to the City would be important, as DH still has some business there. I work from home.

essie14

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 1:21 pm
Springfield, NJ
Edison/ Highland Park, NJ
Cherry Hill, NJ

amother
Caramel

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 1:39 pm
Recommend going for shabbos and trying out a community before making a move

Edison/ Highland Park
Passaic
Waterbury - though not sure about the age range there
If you are looking for a really small close knit community Cherry Hill or Twin Rivers NJ could be good fit...

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 2:58 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
Recommend going for shabbos and trying out a community before making a move

Edison/ Highland Park
Passaic
Waterbury - though not sure about the age range there
If you are looking for a really small close knit community Cherry Hill or Twin Rivers NJ could be good fit...

There's a small nice group of mid 40s- 60 in Waterbury. Empty nesters or ppl with one or 2 kids left at home.

Passaic- gl finding a nice backyard.
If ur willing to go further Baltimore can work.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:55 pm
Try Kew Gardens (in Queens)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:39 am
An update: Looks like we need to stay in NY (for several reasons: My work license is in NY, our doctors are in the City etc).
We looked at Monsey area -- Pomona etc and were quite underwhelmed. While we loved the nature aspect of things, for the price of a 3-level brick home in Brooklyn, you get a Ranch with a small basement. So true, it comes with a nice deck and yard but the house itself feels more like an apartment. Decent Colonials houses were over a million with astronomical taxes. Any thoughts or other ideas of where we should look next? Really need to get out of Brooklyn. The streets don't feel safe any more, I can't stand my shared driveway situation and lack of a private bathroom. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

denaNY

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:49 am
how about clifton NJ (right next to passaic really nice)

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:53 am
Long Beach. On the LIRR, close to the Five Towns for amenities, but socially a world away. Small, OOT feel. Houses don't typically have a lot of land, but you've got the Atlantic Ocean right nearby.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:59 am
The Kew Gardens/Richmond Hill area may be a good idea for you

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 11:00 am
amother OP wrote:
An update: Looks like we need to stay in NY (for several reasons: My work license is in NY, our doctors are in the City etc).
We looked at Monsey area -- Pomona etc and were quite underwhelmed. While we loved the nature aspect of things, for the price of a 3-level brick home in Brooklyn, you get a Ranch with a small basement. So true, it comes with a nice deck and yard but the house itself feels more like an apartment. Decent Colonials houses were over a million with astronomical taxes. Any thoughts or other ideas of where we should look next? Really need to get out of Brooklyn. The streets don't feel safe any more, I can't stand my shared driveway situation and lack of a private bathroom. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

You might just have to wait it out until the prices stabilize a bit more and you find a decent deal. Prices went up significantly in the past 2 years, but they aren't really going up any more as much, more like prices staying where they are.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 11:31 am
deleted

Frumfemme

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 11:38 am
Come and visit us in Houston. We have a number of different shuls (Young Israel, Chabad, Torch, Meyerland Minyan, Sefard, MO). The downside is the summer weather - but the community is tight, even across different traditions and people pull together here. Houses average $300K-$400K for about 2000 sq. ft. The arboretum is beautiful, and the ocean is about 45 mins south, and the state park about 45 mins North. If you'd like to visit, PM me and we'll talk and set you up in a community that you think would best fit.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 11:38 am
New City, or Montebello NY.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 11:45 am
denaNY wrote:
how about clifton NJ (right next to passaic really nice)

Thank you, but I think we need to stay in NY for the reasons I had mentioned.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating