Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
How much are you paying for your apartment in EY for Succos?
  Previous  1  2  3 12 13  14  15  Next

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:41 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
My sister has a beautiful large 5 bdrm 2500 sq ft apt in Brooklyn in the heart of area near popular shuls and rabbonim.

The highest offer she got for renting her apt for sukkos was 4500.

That size apt goes for 6000 usd monthly rent or 2.5 million for sale. We Americans also have sick expenses and covid has knocked even the most financially stable families off their feet.

The only difference here is were lacking the Israeli chutzpah.

yes we choose to live in NY but you choose to live in the expensive areas as well. We just don't have the gall to do what you do in the name of Torah learning.

Is that $4500 for a week? 10 days? Or a whole month?
How much would an Airbnb in the same neighborhood go for? That’s comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:43 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
At least 50% of the luxury apartments in places like Rehavia are owned by chutznikim who actually live abroad and the apartments sit empty for most of the year.

I don't know about 50%, but yes, many apartments in desirable Jerusalem neighborhoods are owned by foreigners or olim who spend a good chunk of time abroad.

Despite some downsides, it makes for a booming Airbnb market.

GLUE

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:18 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
My sister has a beautiful large 5 bdrm 2500 sq ft apt in Brooklyn in the heart of area near popular shuls and rabbonim.

That size apt goes for 6000 usd monthly rent or 2.5 million for sale. We Americans also have sick expenses and covid has knocked even the most financially stable families off their feet.

yes we choose to live in NY but you choose to live in the expensive areas as well. We just don't have the gall to do what you do in the name of Torah learning.

I am hearing that in Lakewood some people are paying 10,000 for Sukuos 'Tongue Out'

amother
Moonstone

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 12:43 am
amother Copper wrote:
we are renting our airbnb at a reasonable $10k for 3 weeks of tishrei

4 bedroom by arzei area

and we are considered cheap from imamother standars on the other thread lol

but we have closed with the renters by nissan time

I dont know whether to laugh or cry.. On the one hand, it is so amazing that ppl can and are willing to pay such money to be here for Yom Tov. On the other hand, if you have that kind of money to spend then I hope you have a very good reason for staying in chul... and not choosing to live in Eretz Hakodesh. What do you think is going to happen if you are here for yom tov? EY is not a fast food restaurant with a drive thru window.... it is better to give this money to struggling talmidei chachamim and other devoted families who are here all year doing the mitvah of yishuv EY. I don't understand what can be accomplished by coming to EY for yomim tovim.. Just enjoyment?... EY nikney b'issurim.. blood sweat and tears... not just occassional yom tov visits.

amother
Banana

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 12:51 am
I do think it's wrong to milk people for money to cover expenses. And yes, people do it. My friends neighbor tried cheshboning how much money shed need to cover rent plus five tickets to America... She lives out of yerushalayim and no one will pay that much.

When I lived in Yerushalayim 8-10 years ago, renting an old 2 bedroom apartment, we sublet it for chodesh Nissan to a neighbor who needed more space for their married children and families. (They'd use it for all of Nissan, not just pesach.) The first time we charged rent plus utilities, which was about $1200. After that, we charged about an extra 100 because it was really a stress and tircha for me to clean the apartment for pesach. We wouldn't dream charge more just because we could get it. We just wanted to cover expenses associated with the apartment.

The neighbor we rented out to us is very choshuv, well-known person. (If I said their name on ima, several people will recognize it.) Someone in the neighborhood was horrified that we rented it to this family and didn't give it to them for free...

Sorry of remind me of the way this thread is going in circles...

amother
Feverfew

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 2:36 am
amother Pearl wrote:
I don't own my own apartment and nor will my kids have one of their own, when they get married.
I'm happy to participate in the mitzva of hachnosas kalloh for all yidden. But paying for an apartment is an extra luxury and is definitely not part of hachnosas kalloh.
In the States here, which couples get married with an apartment? A select few very wealthy.

In the States you can get a shidduch without providing the down payment - in the Israeli Cheredi communities you can't

As evidenced by my SIL and her many friends. My In- Laws couldn't provide and she married a widower at 32. She couldn't get a date for years and when she did the guys all had significant issues. BH she found her husband - but they could never have married in there 20's because he was a top boy in Chevron and got a down payment (which in $ comes out less the 5 years of support BTW).
She has a large circle of older single friends and they all have the same story.

As they are getting older they are begining to marry divorcees or widowers who don't care or guys who are in there 30's as well so don't ask there parents for the opinion (besides once they are in there 30's they have significant savings so it makes less of a difference)

What its has to do with short term rental VACATION (vaction = luxury remember) I do not know.

And BTW - I grew up poor in america.
Yes - even when you are dirt poor the standard of living is higher then the lower middle class here.
Just is reality.
I love EY - but you can not compare apple to oranges.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 2:46 am
amother Feverfew wrote:
In the States you can get a shidduch without providing the down payment - in the Israeli Cheredi communities you can't

As evidenced by my SIL and her many friends. My In- Laws couldn't provide and she married a widower at 32. She couldn't get a date for years and when she did the guys all had significant issues. BH she found her husband - but they could never have married in there 20's because he was a top boy in Chevron and got a down payment (which in $ comes out less the 5 years of support BTW).
She has a large circle of older single friends and they all have the same story.

As they are getting older they are begining to marry divorcees or widowers who don't care or guys who are in there 30's as well so don't ask there parents for the opinion (besides once they are in there 30's they have significant savings so it makes less of a difference)

What its has to do with short term rental VACATION (vaction = luxury remember) I do not know.

Yes - even when you are dirt poor the standard of living is higher then the lower middle class here.
Just is reality.

Alternatively they can try to make shidduchim with foreigners and some of them do

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 2:51 am
amother Feverfew wrote:

Just is reality.

You are so right-you can't compare apple to oranges.
Upthread imamother Pearl started to bash israelis who come to collect for hachnasat kallah claiming they expect all their expenses and apartments to be paid in full by Americans.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 3:35 am
amother Slategray wrote:
just let it go.
Israelis seem to think they live life without amenities and we americans live in buckingham palace.
they are a western country
they live on a western lifestyle
the square footage of their apartments does not mean that their kids have less than yours.
just let it go.
What an awful post. And please do NOT lump all israelis together.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 3:40 am
amother Ginger wrote:

Did you just seriously compare Yerushaliyim Ir HaKodesh to Brooklyn? This is part of the problem. You can not compare. And this is not about Israeli chutzpah. This is about people realizing that people want to stay in CERTAIN areas in yerushaliyim. And thats it.
People who are going to brooklyn for chag are going there to be with family, not to get the "experience" they are hoping for by being in specific areas of jerusalem.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 3:46 am
lol I went to Israel recently and we went to visit some friends and relatives in Ranaana. Their houses were the nicest houses I have seen anywhere! But I have been to other Israeli homes and I know that is not the norm.

Re Brooklyn, Crown Heights has a booming short term rental market, since many people want to visit. I rented a place there recently and paid $250 a night for a pretty nice place that slept up to 10 people.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 3:49 am
amother Cerise wrote:
lol I went to Israel recently and we went to visit some friends and relatives in Ranaana. Their houses were the nicest houses I have seen anywhere! But I have been to other Israeli homes and I know that is not the norm.

Re Brooklyn, Crown Heights has a booming short term rental market, since many people want to visit. I rented a place there recently and paid $250 a night for a pretty nice place that slept up to 10 people.
Raanana has a very rich part of it, yes. But please realize that that is a norm. There are not only poor people living in israel. Some of the charedi areas in jerusalem with very small apartments, and I mean VERY small apartments, and that is not the norm in israel either.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 3:51 am
And also, for all of the ameicans who are complaining about charedim coming asking for money for hachnasat kallah, nobody is forcing you to give to anyone that comes to your door. Its your choice.
We have chassidim coming to our yishuv. I never give. I only give tzedakah to place that I choose.

Nobody is forcing anyone to give tzedakah to anyone you do not want to.

amother
Buttercup

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 3:53 am
Did you know that hotels next week in London are going for over 1000 pounds a night? Up from 200. What a chutzpa!

Do you know what? I was supposed to go to London next week for a family simcha. The price of tickets jumped overnight from 250 pounds to 1200. What a chutzpa! Opportunism! Taking advantage of people who want to attend the Queen's funeral! In New York I can get a hotel next week for a quarter of that.

So go to NY for your vacation. But my simcha is in London. It doesn't help me to go to NY. So I'm staying home. I'm not going because I can't afford the price. That's life.

August is not peak season in central Yerushalayim. In August Israelis vacation as well and people stay all over the place including Tiverya, Tzfat and the Yam hamelach. Peak season in central Yerushalayim is Sukkos and Pesach. You want to attend the Rebbe's court? You want to be central? Your "simcha" is peak season? Either pay the price or stay home.

NB As a yerushalmi, I was horrified at the prices people can charge. I guess that is why people like me live in the suburbs not in the center of town. The max I could get for my 5 bedroom with a sukka over sukkos would be $2000. If I was desperate to be in the center of town, I'd have to stay further out and walk in. Not as convenient, not as fun, but hey, when Mashiach comes I'm going to be doing aliya leregel with all my koach.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 4:57 am
amother Cerise wrote:

Raanana is pretty much anglo and therefore very expensive.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:18 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
I dont know whether to laugh or cry.. On the one hand, it is so amazing that ppl can and are willing to pay such money to be here for Yom Tov. On the other hand, if you have that kind of money to spend then I hope you have a very good reason for staying in chul... and not choosing to live in Eretz Hakodesh. What do you think is going to happen if you are here for yom tov? EY is not a fast food restaurant with a drive thru window.... it is better to give this money to struggling talmidei chachamim and other devoted families who are here all year doing the mitvah of yishuv EY. I don't understand what can be accomplished by coming to EY for yomim tovim.. Just enjoyment?... EY nikney b'issurim.. blood sweat and tears... not just occassional yom tov visits.

This post is pretty judgemental and full of resentment. Why are you judging the way people choose to spend their money? I can reassure you, that people who spend that kind of money on Tom tov, are also big baalei tzedaka. Telling people that if they have that kind of money they are obligated to support people that made a choice to live in ey or they should too make that choice is just not right. It’s beautiful that people are willing to sacrifice in order to live in ey but to judge those who don’t is hardly the way of the Torah. Many people come for sukkos because its aliya laregel. For that alone it’s worth spending that money if you have it. And do realize, many of them come because they love ey and they really would want to live there but they have many many reasons they can’t, so they might as well enjoy a beautiful yom tov. No need to give an opinion on other peoples life choices.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:40 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Raanana is pretty much anglo and therefore very expensive.
This is very much not true. Yes, there are a lot of anglos, but its not even half the population of raanana. There are also many rich israelis there.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:42 am
amother Pearl wrote:
Again, stop making up things I never wrote. Why are you doing this? What are you trying to gain here by engaging in make believe, a.k.a lies ?

If you can't read posts properly then please do not take the liberty of responding. Because your responses are based on something false which I never wrote.

I specially asked people to read through all my posts before responding, because it's getting rediculous how people are answering back, with such invented stuff that I never ever mentioned.
This inventing has reached an embarrassing level

You have yet to show me what I "invented." I read through all the posts, including yours. I'm not engaging in make-believe. You seem to not accept what your words mean to others. I'm not the only one who understood your posts a certain way. Maybe you should either rephrase or do a cheshbon nefesh if you really mean what you wrote, and if so what that says about you.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:50 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Raanana has a very rich part of it, yes. But please realize that that is a norm. There are not only poor people living in israel. Some of the charedi areas in jerusalem with very small apartments, and I mean VERY small apartments, and that is not the norm in israel either.

Yup, I also have family in Jerusalem and other parts of Israel who are not bajillionaires. Once I stayed with a chareidi relative in her 2 (maybe 3) bedroom apartments in the centre of Jerusalem. Spotlessly tidy but small. Her kids were grown up but she had bought up all her kids in that space.

I don't think there is a norm anywhere. In Brooklyn, Europe, the UK, the USA, people live in large and small apartments and houses. Weirdly in the USA even cramped apartments often come with those huge fridges with ice makers.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:52 am
amother Banana wrote:
I do think it's wrong to milk people for money to cover expenses. And yes, people do it. My friends neighbor tried cheshboning how much money shed need to cover rent plus five tickets to America... She lives out of yerushalayim and no one will pay that much.

When I lived in Yerushalayim 8-10 years ago, renting an old 2 bedroom apartment, we sublet it for chodesh Nissan to a neighbor who needed more space for their married children and families. (They'd use it for all of Nissan, not just pesach.) The first time we charged rent plus utilities, which was about $1200. After that, we charged about an extra 100 because it was really a stress and tircha for me to clean the apartment for pesach. We wouldn't dream charge more just because we could get it. We just wanted to cover expenses associated with the apartment.

The neighbor we rented out to us is very choshuv, well-known person. (If I said their name on ima, several people will recognize it.) Someone in the neighborhood was horrified that we rented it to this family and didn't give it to them for free...

Sorry of remind me of the way this thread is going in circles...

Prices ten years ago were totally different than they are now. Nissan is not a hot time like Tishrei is. (Pesach yes, the rest of Nissan no.) And I'd guess that your neighborhood isn't a hotspot and the reason you were expected to do it for free was that your neighbors were choshuve people. Not that you would've had to give it free to just anyone, but yes specifically to these people. All of this influences the price.

Your part about your friend's neighbor is the point. No one will pay that much for her place because it's not market rate in her area. Amother pearl is complaining about people charging "outrageous" prices way beyond market rate. But if enough people charge that amount then that is market rate. Of course if you charge way above market rate, you won't find any takers. That's obvious. That's why claims of people milking to cover expenses don't actually work. Because if they were milking others then it'd be obvious and no one would want to pay the sums.
Page 13 of 15   Previous  1  2  3 12 13  14  15  Next Recent Topics