Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is it bad if I miss orientation :(
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:14 pm
My baby kept me up all night and I don’t want to make my daughter in fourth grade daughter feel bad because she said she prepared something and can’t wait for me to go ….

My eyes are Closing. She’s a very sensitive child.

What would you do?

chestnut

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:14 pm
I'd push myself to go, even for a bit. Or can your husband go instead?

Last edited by chestnut on Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:15 pm
Honestly I would push through and go. Can you nap before or after?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:16 pm
I think you have to go.
Caffeine?

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:17 pm
Go. Drink coffee or Coke if you need to.
What message are you sending your 4th grader if you don’t.

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:18 pm
I have missed my son's. Not my daughters.. But I am missing one daughters tonight. I need to be somewhere the same time and men aren't invited.
I say you need to function. And pack her a nice treat for tomorrow and speak to the teacher.
Not a big deal..

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:20 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
Go. Drink coffee or Coke if you need to.
What message are you sending your 4th grader if you don’t.

I would think the message is that mothers are sometimes too tired to run to whatever things the school decided last minute.
Thats OK. Mothers are humans. Children can understand and can be let down for something small Like this. A little note and a treat in their backpack the next day will be fine.
Just be in touch with the teacher to hear if there was anything important.
I'm happy to show my kids I'm human...

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:24 pm
I quit going to orientation a few years ago. And I only go to one PTA a year not two. It's very hard for me to get out at night for several reasons. I show my kids I care about them and their schooling in other ways.

hodeez

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:26 pm
It's hard but go you won't regret it. U can sleep after

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:43 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
I would think the message is that mothers are sometimes too tired to run to whatever things the school decided last minute.
Thats OK. Mothers are humans. Children can understand and can be let down for something small Like this. A little note and a treat in their backpack the next day will be fine.
Just be in touch with the teacher to hear if there was anything important.
I'm happy to show my kids I'm human...

As I teacher this question always stumps me. I’m not sure how to answer. Do you expect me to repeat verbatim everything I spoke to the mothers privately for you? Or do you want me to say na you didn’t miss much and then make a fool out of the whole evening?

Usually cold dry information is sent as emails and WhatsApp broadcasts. The open house orientation four parents is to get to know the teacher on a human level, hear and discuss her educational approach on various classroom related issues, to ask questions and to foster a comfortable relationship with parents. My open house was full of give and take from the parents, some laughter and a good vibe was generated.

I hold no judgment on those who couldn’t make it, I have unavoidably missed some of my own childrens but asking her if anything important was said my best a little pointless.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:46 pm
Does it happen often that your daughters needs get put to the side or ignored because of the baby?

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:46 pm
I vote you should go.

Simple1

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:51 pm
Are you not curious who is teaching your child? That is one of my motivations to get out when it's hard.

amother
Caramel

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:51 pm
Your daughter said she prepared something and can’t wait for you to go. You should go.

If there's important context missing here, like PPD or depression, or some kind of other big issue, then that would change my opinion. But taking your OP at face value, that the only obstacle is being temporarily tired, I think you should go.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:54 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
As I teacher this question always stumps me. I’m not sure how to answer. Do you expect me to repeat verbatim everything I spoke to the mothers privately for you? Or do you want me to say na you didn’t miss much and then make a fool out of the whole evening?

Usually cold dry information is sent as emails and WhatsApp broadcasts. The open house orientation four parents is to get to know the teacher on a human level, hear and discuss her educational approach on various classroom related issues, to ask questions and to foster a comfortable relationship with parents. My open house was full of give and take from the parents, some laughter and a good vibe was generated.

I hold no judgment on those who couldn’t make it, I have unavoidably missed some of my own childrens but asking her if anything important was said my best a little pointless.

I'm on the way to orientation now, but only because of the optics...

Sorry to tell you this, but this is child number nine, do you REALLY think the teacher is going to tell me something new? Something important that I need to know? Yes, she has to do homework (and it's HER homework btw, not mine). I got it. Anything else?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:57 pm
I would go. Unless you get sick and have a very sensitive body.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 8:01 pm
It’s funny before tonight I never heard of orientation. I don’t think we had last year (covid?) or if we did it was zoom. I miss zoom sometimes. I didn’t even consider going to my 2nd graders orientation. My husband Gd bless him went. The incentive was discounted parking.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 8:03 pm
I’m pregnant and really not well. My daughter in fourth grades orientation is tonight also. I needed my husband home from work today as I really was sick. That being said, just made the decision to push myself and go. She was devastated when I told her I may not.

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 8:05 pm
I always push to go. Because when my kid comes home telling me something the teacher did, it's very helpful to have met her and have a concept of what she's like. If the orientation is in the classroom, it's particularly helpful when my kid describes his or her experience there. And I have approached the teacher about a seating issue based on sitting in that seat or seeing where it is, right at the beginning. And for kids who leave notes, it can be a big deal to have it read and leave a note back. I would call a friend and see if she can drive you to take that off your plate and go.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 8:08 pm
I don't ever go. Don't go. You are exhausted the last thing you need to do is go there now. Majority of people go out of obligation...not because they want to. No reason to feel guilty. You are taking care of your family. My kids would much rather me be home with them than to leave them with a babysitter. I do go to pta because I find that purposeful.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics