Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
18 month old not walking :(

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 3:52 pm
I’m starting to really worry. I made an appointment with early intervention. He just doesn’t want to let go of objects or people he’s holding onto when he’s standing up. We can get him to walk while holding our hands but he doesn’t want to let go. Has anyone else had a child like this? I’m just getting so anxious. He was low birth weight and failure to thrive until like 9 months so I’m wondering if that has effected his strength, although he is doing better now weight wise.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 3:57 pm
3 of my kids walked independently after 18 months and I have one who was 18 mo last week and is not walking. She can push herself from the floor into standing and has the movements she just is not there yet. I keep practicing with her and I am not worried. For most kids, I think its mental. A mix of fear and realizing that crawling is faster. Of those 4 kids the oldest one could not support his weight at 9 months, he was like a wet noodle when you had him put weight on his legs so he got a lot of PT. His tone was pretty low. So sometimes therapy is warranted but I realized early on he needed it. An eval cant hurt but I would not make yourself crazt either.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 3:59 pm
Mine didn’t walk till 19 months but I wasn’t worried; every kid develops at their own rate

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 4:06 pm
My baby walked at 21 months. Literally one day just got up and went, before that he would only stand in one spot or crawl.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 4:14 pm
My son was like this. Didn’t walk till about 22 months and also took him forever to learn to pull up to stand. Also was speech delayed.
Today he’s 6 years old and I found him jumping on the roof of the car yesterday. So try not to worry. You did the right thing by calling EI.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 4:16 pm
I have a bunch of kids, none of them walked by 18 months. 2 of them started taking steps before but otherwise everyone was later and they're all fine. Nothing to worry about

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 4:18 pm
Check vision.

Check ears/chiropractic adjustment

Check for tongue tie

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 4:27 pm
I wouldn't worry. I have four children. One child started at 16 months, one child started at 18 months, and one child started at 21 months, and my baby now is 19 months and not walking yet. She is the only one that I am getting physical therapy for since she's had major surgery and missed most of her floor time as a baby.... If your baby is doing all the right stuff but not walking I would not worry.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 4:33 pm
Thanks so much everyone! Really needed the reassurance. He’s my first so all these things are so new.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 4:56 pm
18 months is the end of the technical range for walking but if he had failure to thrive until 9 months I think that makes sense he is slightly delayed. He will get there! Getting early intervention services is the right call though.

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:37 pm
I win! My child walked at 24 months Smile
I personally wouldnt be nervous if he is standing holding on and even more so if he is cruising I dont believe you will even get approved for EI

cuffs

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:51 pm
Definitely get him physical therapy from early intervention but don’t worry too much, my oldest started walking at 19 months.

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:07 pm
You did the right thing calling EI, he should qualify for PT since not walking by 18 months is delayed.

gootlfriends

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:19 pm
It's possible he doesn't need therapy but an evaluation at this point is helpful. They might give you some ideas to help him if he doesn't qualify but is delayed.

bs6208

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:23 pm
My dd started walking at 21 months. She just walked across the room like a pro, not 1 or 2 baby steps but a full walk across the room. It was truly amazing. She had started pulling up and standing while holding on for support by 8 months old, so I was sure she'll be an early walker. Nope. 21 months! She was afraid to let go till then.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:38 pm
If he's standing, cruising normally then it's just a matter of time. However, I second checking vision and hearing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics