Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teacher refused to allow daughter to drink
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:25 pm
My daughter came home feeling sick. She said she needed a drink badly but the teacher said no drinking during class. So she sat in class feeling dizzy and nauseous. She said she couldn’t concentrate on the lessons and had a horrible day. Can someone explain what was gained in this situation? Besides for her not feeling well now she is anxious about having to go through it again. What type of lesson is this? This teacher also doesn’t allow the kids to use the bathroom. It’s lower elementary.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:27 pm
I always used to tell my kids that if they need the bathroom badly and teacher is not letting , just get up and walk out. We will defend them.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:30 pm
This woman doesn't belong being a teacher. No excuse for that. Stop treating our children like they are in jail. Nothing will happen if they drink water. And if the teacher has such poor classroom management that a sip of water disrupts everything then find a new profession.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:33 pm
Either call the teacher or write her a nice positive note stating that your dd gets lightheaded sometimes. She should allow her to drink when she feels that way. Send a water bottle and have your dd drink right before class starts.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:35 pm
There was such a thread last week.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:42 pm
Its nothing out of ordinary. No eating or drinking during class is pretty standard procedure. If your daughter gets lightheaded, maybe call the teacher and discuss it. Just sending in a note might not be enough because there's a chance the teacher will feel threatened by it in front of the class and the school year just started.

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
My daughter came home feeling sick. She said she needed a drink badly but the teacher said no drinking during class. So she sat in class feeling dizzy and nauseous. She said she couldn’t concentrate on the lessons and had a horrible day. Can someone explain what was gained in this situation? Besides for her not feeling well now she is anxious about having to go through it again. What type of lesson is this? This teacher also doesn’t allow the kids to use the bathroom. It’s lower elementary.

What was gained? The teacher was able to exercise her affinity for authoritarian control over children by practicing antiquated and proven to be counterproductive classroom policies. So I guess to that teacher, it was a good day.

What was gained by your daughter? Feelings of distrust that the teacher cares about the needs of her students, and learning this teacher is not someone who is adaptable nor safe. What a sad state we are in when students can not turn to their teacher for help meeting the most basic of needs.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:49 pm
Why was she suffering a whole day? Presumably there is recess for drinks and bathroom.
I also told my kids to walk out if they need a bathroom.

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:51 pm
Call the teacher no excuse for this

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:52 pm
I personally dont agree with the no drinking and no bathroom. However, as a teacher I do see a trend of suddenly when class starts, many are 'bursting' to go to the bathroom or are 'sooooo thirsty" even though fine a few seconds before. Trend repeats daily. I tell my students that while im giving instruction, hands down for bathroom/drink. If someone really needs during that time, I can see if it really seems urgent or not. They have before and after each class to go to bathroom/drink either way and I always allow water bottles on desk. Colored drinks and soda I never allow and put on my desk until end of day/dismissal.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:53 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Why was she suffering a whole day? Presumably there is recess for drinks and bathroom.
I also told my kids to walk out if they need a bathroom.

It was after lunch. By the time recess rolled around the little bit she drank didn’t fix it. She had one short break the second half of the day. Most of which she stood on line for the bathroom. All of which I think is insane. Kids don’t have to suffer this way or live with such severe rules.

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
It was after lunch. By the time recess rolled around the little bit she drank didn’t fix it. She had one short break the second half of the day. Most of which she stood on line for the bathroom. All of which I think is insane. Kids don’t have to suffer this way or live with such severe rules.

I totally agree.
I’m an elementary school teacher, and I actually announce that my students can drink whenever they are thirsty, as long as it doesn’t distract anyone and as long as it’s only water. I also encourage them to come up to the garbage bin to sharpen their pencils as often as they need. All my students are very excited on the first few days and make an effort to break the point of their pencil and manage to drink a whole bottle full of water. But after three days the fun wears off, but whoever needs it can do it.
I would suggest writing a note to the teacher that she should give your daughter permission to drink during class.

behappy2

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 7:38 pm
I would call the teacher and say that she gets dizzy and can she allow her to drink. She will most probably say yes. If not speak to the principal. Don't bash her rules though. It will get you nowhere.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 9:21 pm
amother Cherry wrote:
I totally agree.
I’m an elementary school teacher, and I actually announce that my students can drink whenever they are thirsty, as long as it doesn’t distract anyone and as long as it’s only water. I also encourage them to come up to the garbage bin to sharpen their pencils as often as they need. All my students are very excited on the first few days and make an effort to break the point of their pencil and manage to drink a whole bottle full of water. But after three days the fun wears off, but whoever needs it can do it.
I would suggest writing a note to the teacher that she should give your daughter permission to drink during class.

I couldn’t like this enough! You sound like someone who really understands children and you are probably an excellent teacher!

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 9:25 pm
Doesn’t the school have a school nurse?

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 9:31 pm
As I've gotten older and understand my role as a mother better and better every day.. These rules are to gain control.
But control is not what to be gained by a teacher. They need to be mechanech the children properly and they will gain respect and control.
As an adult we don't want someone to tell us when we can drink and use the bathroom - it feels degrading. I understand that some children may misuse the ability and do silly things - buT that's actually what our job is. If they do silly things to be able to teach them so as adults they can make.etter choices.
Controlling doesn't work. It's old fashioned and children these days aren't brought up like that and it won't work for them. They will rebel in other areas.
Yes.. We all know there are some that want to keep the old "laws" because they work. Here's the thing.. They work for you and your generation. This is a different generation and they don't work. Ask any huge mechanech.

Teacher - please realize you aren't running a prison. Nor are you running an adult college. If you can't figure out how to teach children these days without causing them negative association - don't teach. My children are better off without you. And they don't misuse drinking and bathroom in my home so I must be doing something right.

CPenzias

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 9:40 pm
This teacher sounds like she likes control. So stupid. Can you send your daughter with a waterbottle?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 9:42 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Its nothing out of ordinary. No eating or drinking during class is pretty standard procedure. If your daughter gets lightheaded, maybe call the teacher and discuss it. Just sending in a note might not be enough because there's a chance the teacher will feel threatened by it in front of the class and the school year just started.

I teach younger elementary... I actually ask the parents to send in a water bottle for the girls to keep by their desks to drink as needed. Just like as an adult I sometimes need a drink also my students may. I do have a rule it must be covered as spilling turns into an issue.

Eating on the other hand gets disruptive and there's opportunity to eat every hr and half or so, for that long baring an emergency (such as a hangry girl...) there's no eating

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 1:12 am
Teacher can have a hallway/bathroom pass that means a student going out can use it. When not in use, it's hanging by the door. That way only one student at a time is out.

amother
Charcoal

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 1:16 am
This is criminal. You should talk to the teacher and say that she MUST allow your child to drink water or you will press charges. Dehydration is very serious, people may end up in the hospital because of this.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics