Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teacher refused to allow daughter to drink
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Queen6

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:36 pm
THIS is the reason teachers are leaving the schools. It’s not the low paychecks. It’s you deciding as a parent you know better. Most classes never don’t have a break more than an hour and half. Unless your daughter has a medical condition I imagine she generally doesn’t drink more than every 1 1/2 hours. Same with going to the bathroom. Girls shouldn’t need the bathroom every half hour. Teachers know what they’re talking about and they know what kids need and what disturbs the class for no reason. If you don’t trust them enough to do their job you should home school.

gr82no

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:43 pm
Queen6 wrote:
THIS is the reason teachers are leaving the schools. It’s not the low paychecks. It’s you deciding as a parent you know better. Most classes never don’t have a break more than an hour and half. Unless your daughter has a medical condition I imagine she generally doesn’t drink more than every 1 1/2 hours. Same with going to the bathroom. Girls shouldn’t need the bathroom every half hour. Teachers know what they’re talking about and they know what kids need and what disturbs the class for no reason. If you don’t trust them enough to do their job you should home school.

And many of them said that there is no problem with kids drinking or going to the bathroom.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:12 pm
Queen6 wrote:

Good I hope more leave. We don’t need them as teachers, no loss there. Go tell this to the doctor and then come back with their response. You’ll look like a fool.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:14 pm
I’m actually disgusted to find out how many horrible teachers we have in our schools. I hope you all leave and find professions that are far away from any children.

Sewsew_mom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:15 pm
Queen6 wrote:

Let's rephrase... THIS is what's wrong with the old time society.. Let's shove everything under the rug and pretend this is running smoothly.
Teachers are leaving because it's not fun and games anymore for them. It's actually a hard job and comes along with a tremendous achryus. And they don't have proper training in being a mechanech man's getting training is too hard.. So they leave.
No teacher who has a passion for teaching and loving kids is leaving. No teacher who trained for many many years in how to be mechanech children in this generation are running anywhere. They are so few and far between that you only see the teachers running because they aren't getting paid enough to bark orders at little pure neshamos who have bodies with feelings.
You can see from the posts here of who was born before 1980 and who was born after.
Pre 1980 won't last forever. It's hard to change. But the generation changed and if you don't come along with and open your eyes to a world where children matter (and there are so many beautiful wonderful things in these children!) - your just in denial.
Keep living under the rug. Stay nice and cozy.. But there will be alot of pple stepping all over you. TMI

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 4:52 am
Queen6 wrote:

The majority of teachers in the BY system have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to things like child development, psychology, classroom management, behavior needs, etc. They are women who happen to be in a teacher position but have taken zero classes in education, MAYBE some of them took some classes during seminary if you are lucky. Ask anyone of us here who went through college and took even the most basic of education courses what children need, we know because unlike a BY grad with zero higher education, we know what research has proven.

If a teacher is leaving her job because of those annoying mothers who know better then them when it comes to things like exerting control over little kids for something which serves zero purpose, good.

amother
Daylily

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:11 am
amother Fern wrote:
Same goes for toileting.

It is very disruptive when a teacher tries to get a word across and every 3 mins another 3 kids have to leave for the bathroom.

there is designated toilet time which is during breaks and if you don't coddle a kid they will learn to organize their time.

there are also kids that live in their minds not in their bodies and it is only when recess time is over and silence reigns where they suddenly feel thirsty and the need to pee. I'm sure some moms are familiar w this at bedtime too!

well I do not let drink after bedtime in my house either and for bathroom emergencies after bedtime I have a system too.

Yes bathroom emergencies happen and most school have adapted a bathroom pass hallway pass system where they allow kids to use a pass 3x in a certain amount of days.

If a kid is finding the need to go to the bathroom a lot more than that it definitely calls for medical attention.

Like talking to a brick wall. If a child needs to go more often, then you let them go. Whether they need medical attention or not is up to the parents not you. And guess what, sometimes these medical issues happen because of not going to the bathroom often enough. Chicken or egg?
And what's a bathroom emergency? In my world a bathroom emergency is beyond passes, you just run. These are kids we are talking about. Yes sometimes they don't realise they need till the last second. They have small bladders and cant hold in so much.
Btw if you'd ask one of my kids if they can wait they will always say yes. Even when they can't. They see you as a teacher as a huge figure and for better or worse they are intimidated. I hate that I have to beg every year for my kid to have 'special permission' to leave the classroom. It doesn't work because the kid hates it, the teacher forgets, and it takes weeks till it happens. Guess what happens every day till then? Why teachers think that accidents are preferable is beyond me.

And about drinks, we all sleep with a bottle of water next to our beds and we drink during the night. Yes there are people who need to drink often. And no it's not a medical issue omg

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:43 am
amother Fern wrote:
Same goes for toileting.

It is very disruptive when a teacher tries to get a word across and every 3 mins another 3 kids have to leave for the bathroom.

there is designated toilet time which is during breaks and if you don't coddle a kid they will learn to organize their time.

there are also kids that live in their minds not in their bodies and it is only when recess time is over and silence reigns where they suddenly feel thirsty and the need to pee. I'm sure some moms are familiar w this at bedtime too!

well I do not let drink after bedtime in my house either and for bathroom emergencies after bedtime I have a system too.

Yes bathroom emergencies happen and most school have adapted a bathroom pass hallway pass system where they allow kids to use a pass 3x in a certain amount of days.

If a kid is finding the need to go to the bathroom a lot more than that it definitely calls for medical attention.

Fern, this post is horrific! You don’t allow your kids drinks after bedtime? And don’t let them just go to the bathroom. You are setting your kids up to be traumatized for life! That is horrifying. You need parenting advice and intervention asap. I’m so sad for your children!

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:47 am
Queen6 wrote:

this is the reason some girls refuse to teach. they were turned off by teachers.

amother
DarkGreen

Queen6 wrote:

This isn’t why teachers are leaving. They are leaving because the pay is too low.
If a teacher is so “know it all” that they restrict water and bathroom access, they should leave teaching!
Not everyone has enough common sense to be a teacher!

Some of the mindsets that are being displayed on this thread are so sad and stuck in a very old behavioral mindset of the 50’s. Anyone harboring such a mindset shouldn’t be allowed to continue teaching.

watergirl

Sewsew_mom wrote:
Let's rephrase... THIS is what's wrong with the old time society.. Let's shove everything under the rug and pretend this is running smoothly.
Teachers are leaving because it's not fun and games anymore for them. It's actually a hard job and comes along with a tremendous achryus. And they don't have proper training in being a mechanech man's getting training is too hard.. So they leave.
No teacher who has a passion for teaching and loving kids is leaving. No teacher who trained for many many years in how to be mechanech children in this generation are running anywhere. They are so few and far between that you only see the teachers running because they aren't getting paid enough to bark orders at little pure neshamos who have bodies with feelings.
You can see from the posts here of who was born before 1980 and who was born after.
Pre 1980 won't last forever. It's hard to change. But the generation changed and if you don't come along with and open your eyes to a world where children matter (and there are so many beautiful wonderful things in these children!) - your just in denial.
Keep living under the rug. Stay nice and cozy.. But there will be alot of pple stepping all over you. TMI

I agree with most of your post. But I was born in 1981 and I think it's partly because of these old authoritarian ways that I feel as strongly as I do that a classroom rule must have an actual purpose. Too many rules we had to follow were antiquated even then. Even my MIL who loves those "because I said so" rules and she herself was a teacher who went to "teachers college" as they called it back then (she is now 78) is vocal about how teachers must constantly be refreshing their knowledge and methods must be fact based, evolving as research teaches us more. My grandmother was a teacher in inner city public school WAY BACK and she understood that a child must have their most basic needs met in order to learn.

So I would love to know what education these "teachers" have received that goes contrary to the most basic classroom management, child development, and basic pedagogical background shows.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:58 am
Queen6 wrote:

I don’t know any teachers who left because parents don’t want teachers making random, silly rules. I know teachers who left because they weren’t getting paid or weren’t getting paid enough, because their schools were requiring vaccination and they weren’t vaccinating, but not because of parents.
I will say it again. IT IS NOT THE TEACHER’S JOB TO TEACH THE STUDENTS HOW TO REGULATE THEIR BODIES Teachers who don’t understand this, or who insist on doing it anyway, are overstepping.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 6:00 am
I was waiting for all of you to wake up. Thank god for all the sane voices.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 6:03 am
amother OP wrote:

I was dropping my kids off at school, entrusting them into the care of teachers who INSIST that everyone has an acceptable water bottle to drink from during class, because KIDS MUST BE ABLE TO DRINK DURING THE DAY! (Their words, not mine)

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:10 am
Sewsew_mom wrote:

This is SO SO untrue. I've been a teacher for decades, and I'm a darn good one. I'm highly trained and I've spent hours and hours doing my own professional development. I work SUPER hard, I grade every paper, speak to every parent frequently, build up my students, make new curricula every summer so things don't get stale. I let students keep a water bottle at their seats and make a hall pass available for students who need to leave no questions asked. And last year was my last year teaching.
I left because the compensation for the hours and hours I spend is EMBARRASSING. I work two other jobs to make it, and one of those (nonteaching) jobs offered me more money (without me asking) and more hours. I asked for a raise from my school and I was laughed at. I asked for more info so I could be in the loop when something is going on with one of my students and was ignored. I would show up to school and be told that my class time was delayed or canceled oops we forgot to tell you, because there's some extracurricular that MUST take place right now.
I have NEVER considered teaching to be fun and games. I take it seriously and I always did an 100% job, but I refuse to be treated the way I've been treated -- as NOT a professional, as someone who is less than the administrators who call the shots.
And believe me, they regret it now. But it won't change anything.

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:17 am
amother OP wrote:

Did you speak with the school yet?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:25 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
This is SO SO untrue. I've been a teacher for decades, and I'm a darn good one. I'm highly trained and I've spent hours and hours doing my own professional development. I work SUPER hard, I grade every paper, speak to every parent frequently, build up my students, make new curricula every summer so things don't get stale. I let students keep a water bottle at their seats and make a hall pass available for students who need to leave no questions asked. And last year was my last year teaching.
I left because the compensation for the hours and hours I spend is EMBARRASSING. I work two other jobs to make it, and one of those (nonteaching) jobs offered me more money (without me asking) and more hours. I asked for a raise from my school and I was laughed at. I asked for more info so I could be in the loop when something is going on with one of my students and was ignored. I would show up to school and be told that my class time was delayed or canceled oops we forgot to tell you, because there's some extracurricular that MUST take place right now.
I have NEVER considered teaching to be fun and games. I take it seriously and I always did an 100% job, but I refuse to be treated the way I've been treated -- as NOT a professional, as someone who is less than the administrators who call the shots.
And believe me, they regret it now. But it won't change anything.

I agree with you a million percent. I'm an amazing teacher, kind, empathetic, passionate, professional- the works. I don't teach because I can't afford to. Nothing more nothing less. The end.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:26 am
watergirl wrote:
Did you speak with the school yet?

Yeah in a condescending way the teacher said she can drink because she has “special needs”. Let’s hope this is the last issue with this teacher.

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:43 am
amother OP wrote:
Yeah in a condescending way the teacher said she can drink because she has special needs. Let’s hope this is the last issue with this teacher.

IYH your daughter should go on to have a good year.

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 9:33 am
amother OP wrote:
Yeah in a condescending way the teacher said she can drink because she has “special needs”. Let’s hope this is the last issue with this teacher.

For your daughter's sake, please change your attitude about the teacher. Please.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics