Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you're a school based therapist...
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Buttercup

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 4:47 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
OT school cost me 60k, which now is over 100k. Most people dont make 60k their first year working!

An OT working full time should start at 60k.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Sep 16 2022, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Buttercup

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 4:48 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
OT school cost me 60k, which now is over 100k. Most people dont make 60k their first year working!

An OT working full time should make 60k.

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:26 pm
I’m an SLP working privately in Lakewood, and I make $170 per hour. I work 17 hours seeing kids per week. I make my own hours, and yes, there is prep and some note taking and I do have parents phone calls. I end up working about 25 hours a week, on a school schedule, and am off when my kids are. With yamim tovim, cancellations, and taking off somewhere between 4 and 6 weeks over the summer, I make over $100,000. I’m thrilled I got this degree bH.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 6:16 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
I’m an SLP working privately in Lakewood, and I make $170 per hour. I work 17 hours seeing kids per week. I make my own hours, and yes, there is prep and some note taking and I do have parents phone calls. I end up working about 25 hours a week, on a school schedule, and am off when my kids are. With yamim tovim, cancellations, and taking off somewhere between 4 and 6 weeks over the summer, I make over $100,000. I’m thrilled I got this degree bH.

Did you specialize in something that people come to you privately?
I feel that isnt the norm. Most SLPs are making half of what you make and working more hours than you!

Id love to specialize and do private. I hate working for an agency
Is there any way youd be willing to answer some qs from a new slp to the field TMI

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 7:13 pm
amother Acacia wrote:

This is my experience as the parent. The speech therapist in my sons yeshiva charges $100 an hour and will bill one insurance blue cross blue shield. She has the case load she wants because she has a therapist who works under her. And no specific expertise either.

ayiddishemaidel

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:02 am
amother OP wrote:
there are tons of threads on this but im looking for an up to date one.
Whats your hourly rate?

I work in bk, im an SLP and my rate is 64$ an hour. I just completed my CFY. I wish it was more. especially after seeing how much SEITS get paid!

Any ideas of how I can make some extra money on the side? like evening or sundays?
its a little tricky with aftercare since my baby ends at 4:30 and thats the latest they do in my area

I would say try to speak to the agency you are working for to see what they can do…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:58 pm
ayiddishemaidel wrote:
I would say try to speak to the agency you are working for to see what they can do…

What do you mean? The rate is the rate! I got a 2$ raise from 62$ to 64$ since im certified now...

Im looking for other positions because Im making pennies

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:13 pm
Call your insurance and see what they reimburse for SLP. They are not going to pay you more than they make for your visits. The only real ways to make money is to work privately and not take insurance.

Noted however, $64/ hour is not “no money”. Maybe you just need more hours. Most people I know work multiple agencies. You’re going to school during school hours, and non-school hours, you to Homecare. Either EI or geriatric.
If you worked a 40 hour week, 52 weeks a year, it would be more than 130K

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:03 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
Call your insurance and see what they reimburse for SLP. They are not going to pay you more than they make for your visits. The only real ways to make money is to work privately and not take insurance.

Noted however, $64/ hour is not “no money”. Maybe you just need more hours. Most people I know work multiple agencies. You’re going to school during school hours, and non-school hours, you to Homecare. Either EI or geriatric.
If you worked a 40 hour week, 52 weeks a year, it would be more than 130K

You second paragraph shows that you have no clue about the realities of being a therapist.
When someone works 40 hours in an office, it includes paid break time. They are not really working 40 hours. (For example, someone I know who works in an office has a 1 hour lunch break. Someone else I know has a half hour lunch break +2 other 50 minute breaks during the week).

It is not humanly possible to work a full 40 hours as a therapist. That means 80 sessions a week. Would you (or your child) want to get therapy from a therapist who is doing 80 sessions a week? Do you realize how incredibly draining that it? Such a therapist is most likely burnt out, exhausted, and doing zero preparation for her sessions because there is simply no time.

Also, office workers do not work a full 52 weeks a year either. It isn't reasonable to expect a therapist to do that.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:08 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
Any that’s per diem.

The definition of per diem means that I have no set hours. I can work whenever I want, but I only get paid when I work. So why is it fair for them to forbid me from working certain hours, if they are not going to pay me for that time off? Maybe I want to work during those hours!
In the beginning of the year, we get a list of days we are not allowed to service. I think it is very wrong to do that to a per diem employee.
Similarly, we are forced to take an UNPAID lunch break after 5.5 hours. That can mean losing 2 hours weekly. Why is that fair? Either you pay me for my lunch break, or you leave it up to me if I want to take it or not. But don't force me to do it on my dime!

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Did you specialize in something that people come to you privately?
I feel that isnt the norm. Most SLPs are making half of what you make and working more hours than you!

Id love to specialize and do private. I hate working for an agency
Is there any way youd be willing to answer some qs from a new slp to the field TMI

Yes I do have a major specialty. What questions can I answer for you?

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:38 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
The definition of per diem means that I have no set hours. I can work whenever I want, but I only get paid when I work. So why is it fair for them to forbid me from working certain hours, if they are not going to pay me for that time off? Maybe I want to work during those hours!
In the beginning of the year, we get a list of days we are not allowed to service. I think it is very wrong to do that to a per diem employee.
Similarly, we are forced to take an UNPAID lunch break after 5.5 hours. That can mean losing 2 hours weekly. Why is that fair? Either you pay me for my lunch break, or you leave it up to me if I want to take it or not. But don't force me to do it on my dime!

That’s the nature of pet diem work, you work when you get paid. As a full time employee there is a lot more downtime built in it’s true.

STovah

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:44 pm
mha3484 wrote:
For fun I went on my state colleges website in state tuition for a masters in speech is 13k a year. As as grad student you would pay your own housing but still a lot more reasonable then private colleges.

Where I live, that may not be ideal for your average frum person but I cant imagine that other states don't have a public option with some proximity to a frum community.

I went to private college and it was the dumbest thing I ever did. I would never tell my kids to do what I did.

In NYC SUNY and CUNY graduate program admissions are extremely competitive.

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:49 pm
SEITS don't make more. I make $64 per hr that's with years if experience and a tiny raise. I make less that $40,000 a year. The preschools are not open that many hrs a day and between school vacation summer vacation, yomim tovim, and absences, there's just not that much money coming in. Nothing to be jealous of here

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:29 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
Yes I do have a major specialty. What questions can I answer for you?

I have a few questions about private practice in general and building up a clientele. Should I write them here or do you have a way I can message you privately?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:29 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
SEITS don't make more. I make $64 per hr that's with years if experience and a tiny raise. I make less that $40,000 a year. The preschools are not open that many hrs a day and between school vacation summer vacation, yomim tovim, and absences, there's just not that much money coming in. Nothing to be jealous of here

You're working for the wrong agency maybe then bc my 2 SEIT friends get 85$ an hour in BK

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:20 am
amother Buttercup wrote:
That’s the nature of pet diem work, you work when you get paid. As a full time employee there is a lot more downtime built in it’s true.

I feel like I'm talking to the wall. Are you really not understanding what I'm writing?

I'm not asking for downtime!

I'm asking, why am I FORCED to take a lunch break if I am per diem?! I'm asking why am I FORCED to take certain days off if I'm per diem?! Do you understand that? Can you answer?

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:07 am
Just post questions here - not sure want to share my screen name.

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 8:25 am
amother Indigo wrote:
I feel like I'm talking to the wall. Are you really not understanding what I'm writing?

I'm not asking for downtime!

I'm asking, why am I FORCED to take a lunch break if I am per diem?! I'm asking why am I FORCED to take certain days off if I'm per diem?! Do you understand that? Can you answer?

Because of labor laws and the nature of the job. Get a full time job and you won’t have that problem, work with another population, work with 2 agencies. You have a lot of options.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 8:35 am
amother Indigo wrote:
You second paragraph shows that you have no clue about the realities of being a therapist.
When someone works 40 hours in an office, it includes paid break time. They are not really working 40 hours. (For example, someone I know who works in an office has a 1 hour lunch break. Someone else I know has a half hour lunch break +2 other 50 minute breaks during the week).

It is not humanly possible to work a full 40 hours as a therapist. That means 80 sessions a week. Would you (or your child) want to get therapy from a therapist who is doing 80 sessions a week? Do you realize how incredibly draining that it? Such a therapist is most likely burnt out, exhausted, and doing zero preparation for her sessions because there is simply no time.

Also, office workers do not work a full 52 weeks a year either. It isn't reasonable to expect a therapist to do that.

I think you'd be better off working for a school system rather than an agency. School employees generally get a (unpaid, but that means they can't be required to have lunch duty) 30 minute lunch time plus some planning time daily (usually 45 minutes or so). You work around their class schedule, but if a kid doesn't show up, or it's a day off, you still get paid. And you get summers plus regular benefits the other employees do. Even if technically the rate per hour is less than what you'd get at an agency, you still come out ahead as a salaried worker instead of hourly. You certainly wouldn't be doing 80 sessions a week.
Actually if you wanted to, you could still work part time. I know several SLPs who work in public schools just a few days a week.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics