Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Using the bathroom

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:19 pm
Re the thread that mentioned that teacher didn’t let drink got me thinking….
My daughter came home from school saying that her substitute didn’t allow her to use the bathroom so she just upped and left. She was punished and sent to the principal. I was actually shocked by my daughters guts.
Someone mentioned that her advice for her kids is that they should just leave. I’m confused on what this message sends to the kids when you want ur kids to be respectful but still go against what the teacher is saying.
This is a lower elementary child.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:22 pm
Respect doesn't mean following unreasonable demands. I want my children to be respectful in the same way I want adults to be respectful.

Doing whatever the authority says is compliance, not respect.

Last edited by BrisketBoss on Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:22 pm
Needing the bathroom is the one area that I feel kids can break the rules. It’s not negotiable no teacher should be preventing them taking care of their basic needs.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Re the thread that mentioned that teacher didn’t let drink got me thinking….
My daughter came home from school saying that her substitute didn’t allow her to use the bathroom so she just upped and left. She was punished and sent to the principal. I was actually shocked by my daughters guts.
Someone mentioned that her advice for her kids is that they should just leave. I’m confused on what this message sends to the kids when you want ur kids to be respectful but still go against what the teacher is saying.
This is a lower elementary child.

I don't want my kids to be respectful, I want them to advocate for their needs and effect change.

The people who make history aren't respectful. And for the record there's also a way to do that respectfully. If she left quietly, without disrupting, without making a big deal or talking back to the teacher, that's respectful. We have the right of peaceful protest in this country. It's literally abuse not to let kids take care of their bodily needs.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:35 pm
My high school dd came home really upset today because their sub didn't let a different girl go to the bathroom. After the girl asked multiple times the sub finally told her she can leave but not come back and she won't be excused. The girl did not leave and my dd was really angry for her.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:35 pm
I hear you. I don’t know how she acted before and after that. Could be she was raising her hand w a lot of noise…
I guess I need to have a conversation abt this w her

Moonlight

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:41 pm
I tell my kids if they need to go, get up and go

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:14 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
My high school dd came home really upset today because their sub didn't let a different girl go to the bathroom. After the girl asked multiple times the sub finally told her she can leave but not come back and she won't be excused. The girl did not leave and my dd was really angry for her.

For this I would have said to go and worry about being excused later. This isn’t a bad technique, cuz then it means it was important and not just an excuse. A parent can later call and explain that it was legit and I’d hope the teacher would excuse her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics