Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How to stop emotional binge eating (sweets!)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:29 am
Does anyone know a successful method to stop emotional binge eating of sweets and chocolates? The more stressed or unhappy I am, the more sweets I gobble up.
I don't binge eat other types of food.
Eating healthy food doesn't help at all - if I'm feeling bad, I'll stuff in the sweets just after a big healthy meal. Because normal, healthy food doesn't satisfy me or calm me down.

I'm afraid to go off sugar the cold turkey way.
Is there any way to reduce sweets cravings under stress without going totally sugar free?
As a joke, I've thought that maybe I should start smoking or drinking instead, but of course that's even worse.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:44 am
Have you considered bubblegum? Or a cup of tea with 2 sugar dots or so? Both of these take time and can slow down your eating.

SG18

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:50 am
Fruit. Still a lot of sugar, but better.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:41 am
Not just healthy food but lots and lots of proteins and fats will keep the cravings somewhat away.

Past that, berberine and inositol can help with cravings.

Keep very dark chocolate around and xylitol gum.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:45 am
Sugar is the one thing that works best going cold turkey with.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:50 am
OA, meetings and steps

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:57 am
There are two very common aspects to binging that might be the case.

1. Restricting. Are you on a diet or otherwise not allowing yourself to have these treats when you want them? That can lead to binging, and some people find that if they stop restricting altogether, they also stop binging.

2. Insulin resistance. This can cause binges that look and feel like emotional binges, but what's really going on is that your physical sugar cravings alter your emotional state and bring up all those feelings. In that case, it might be necessary to consider glycemic load of foods you eat and/or take a medication or supplement.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 12:10 pm
What I have done (that has worked sometimes.. ):

Deep breathing
Drinking tea
Chewing gum
Drinking cold water
Planning a time to eat a sweet and eating it like a meal- on a plate, sitting down, trying to savor it

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 12:29 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Sugar is the one thing that works best going cold turkey with.

THIS.

Don't have it in the house if possible, and if you must for the kids, but sweet treats that YOU do not like.

When you have a craving for sugar but are not actually hungry, just emotional, DO NOT EAT! Don't eat fruit, don't eat vegetables, don't eat meat or avocadoes. You aren't hungry.

My number one rule when feeling bingy - GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN AND DON'T GO BACK TILL THE MORNING.

Drink a black tea (decaf at night) or tea, sit down outside of the kitchen, and help yourself really feel better by feeling your emotions, talking about the problem (to yourself or with a friend), or with a self-care activity such as coloring for adults, art, long bath, going for a walk, etc.

I speak as someone who has BTDT.

You will never stop emotionally eating sweets unless you deal with the emotion. Eating something else is not the solution.

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 12:39 pm
I started making my own ice coffee slush using an artificial sugar called swerve. It tastes like regular brown sugar and doesn’t have any calories.
I even sprinkle some on sliced apples with cinnamon.
If you’re going to have a sweet tell yourself you’re only having 1. If you have it with a drink you feel more satisfied.
Some days are just harder than others…

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 12:39 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
THIS.

Don't have it in the house if possible, and if you must for the kids, but sweet treats that YOU do not like.

When you have a craving for sugar but are not actually hungry, just emotional, DO NOT EAT! Don't eat fruit, don't eat vegetables, don't eat meat or avocadoes. You aren't hungry.

My number one rule when feeling bingy - GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN AND DON'T GO BACK TILL THE MORNING.

Drink a black tea (decaf at night) or tea, sit down outside of the kitchen, and help yourself really feel better by feeling your emotions, talking about the problem (to yourself or with a friend), or with a self-care activity such as coloring for adults, art, long bath, going for a walk, etc.

I speak as someone who has BTDT.

You will never stop emotionally eating sweets unless you deal with the emotion. Eating something else is not the solution.

I agree with all the above besides the part where you don't bring sugar into the house. For me, denying myself sweets, triggers the restrict/binge reaction. For example since I've allowed myself to eat ice cream. I can have a container in the freezer untouched for weeks. I don't even think about it.

But figure it out for yourself. As everyone is different.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise