Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Inwood, Hewlett -- what is it like?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:21 am
Hi,

Thinking of buying a house in the 5 towns -- either Inwood or Hewlett where nice size houses are still reasonably priced (below a million).

What's life like in these places? What are the demographics (age, hashkafa etc)? Is there any sense of community or are you pretty much on your own like in Brooklyn?

We are not looking to be near schools necessarily, as our kids are older, but shul would have to be walking distance.

Thanks for your help.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:32 am
I looked into both a few years ago. Inwood is mostly small old houses that need work. It's not a pretty area and has a run down low class feel. It's small and leans black hat, families are probably in 30-40 year old range.

Hewlett is a big area very spread out. Has a bunch of shuls and ages. There are some parts that are MO and some parts that are black hat and younger.

What type of crowd are you looking for?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 1:09 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
I looked into both a few years ago. Inwood is mostly small old houses that need work. It's not a pretty area and has a run down low class feel. It's small and leans black hat, families are probably in 30-40 year old range.

Hewlett is a big area very spread out. Has a bunch of shuls and ages. There are some parts that are MO and some parts that are black hat and younger.

What type of crowd are you looking for?

Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

Sounds like inwood is out then. I am definitely not looking for a house that needs much work at this stage in my life, or to live in a run-down, unsafe neighborhood.

Re Hewlett: We are not yeshivish or Black hat, but we are not exactly MO either. Maybe MORW/machmir. I cover my hair fully etc (but no stockings),and I would feel more comfortable living in an area that has at least some families with older kids (teens or young adults). Do any parts of Hewlet fit that description?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 1:12 pm
U may like woodmere

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 2:54 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
U may like woodmere

I would have liked Woodmere, but the houses there are more expensive. We are looking to buy a house up to 900k, with taxes up to 15k annually or so.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 3:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
I would have liked Woodmere, but the houses there are more expensive. We are looking to buy a house up to 900k, with taxes up to 15k annually or so.

Then Hewlett will be hard . Taxes are very high

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 2:34 pm
Other than the high taxes (which I'm not happy about), is there any sense of community life? Do frum people live in certain parts of Hewlett, certain streets? Or all over the place?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating