Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Are you going to the queens funeral?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

4g01o

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:20 am
salt wrote:
I'm British but don't live in England.

Why is it wrong to send your kids to a play scheme, I don't understand.
Is it because they should be solemnly sitting at home? If so, they shouldn't play at home either.

Is it because people might see them out and about? But you're allowed to go and visit relatives, a poster wrote.

If someone's offering it and people are prepared to pay, good for her. If no one signed up, it's a sign that no one wants.

And as for schools being closed - maybe it's more important for boys to be learning Torah - if they are going to school in an appropriate manner, not using public busses, or whatever you said the psak was, and staying indoors during the funeral, then why waste the whole day not learning Torah a week before Rosh Hashana?

Don't see the big deal.

It's a a Chilul Hashem to be out and about during the funeral. We'd need to take and fetch our kids if we send etc.

I'm personally losing money from closing my business for a day. I get paid by the day (I don't want to elaborate) but this is what has to be done. Its disrespectful to the Royal family, to Britain etc if not.

Happens to be that it's a week before Rosh Hashono, but it's a one off, not every year.
It's very nice if kids can learn a bit first. My teen boys finish for the day 20 mins before the funeral starts. They have a long day ahead of them after school.

ilic

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:33 am
salt wrote:

Is it because they should be solemnly sitting at home? If so, they shouldn't play at home either.

Is it because people might see them out and about? But you're allowed to go and visit relatives, a poster wrote.

If someone's offering it and people are prepared to pay, good for her. If no one signed up, it's a sign that no one wants.

And as for schools being closed - maybe it's more important for boys to be learning Torah - if they are going to school in an appropriate manner, not using public busses, or whatever you said the psak was, and staying indoors during the funeral, then why waste the whole day not learning Torah a week before Rosh Hashana?

Don't see the big deal.

I agree with you and I live in London.

It's not like they are taking the kids to a public place and flaunting it, it's a daycamp in someone's home. Some people really need to send their child out and I don't judge.

I said upthread, my son has school today for kodesh only, but the boys were told that it's not a day to have fun in the playground and most of time they will be in class.
Girls have no school, but were asked to stay home between hours of 11-2.

In other news, no I'm not going to the funeral but we went last night to central London. We went to green park to see the flowers laid for the Queen, it was endless and people were still bringing flowers. There were also cards, balloons, candles, teddies, lots of paddington bears. So many handwritten cards, and pictures. We spotted a few in hebrew. Then we walked towards the Palace. At this point it was about 10.30pm, and all the way down the mall people were already camping out for the funeral to get themselves a good spot at the front. People had brought tents, camping chairs, books, board games, there were food and drink stations, toilets, loads of security and emergency staff. The people camping out all seemed to be helping each other out and making friends, telling passes by how long they'd travel for etc. Some of these people must have been there all day already. It looked like the middle of the day I wonder if they got any sleep at all.

4g01o

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:43 am
ilic wrote:
I agree with you and I live in London.

It's not like they are taking the kids to a public place and flaunting it, it's a daycamp in someone's home. Some people really need to send their child out and I don't judge.

I said upthread, my son has school today for kodesh only, but the boys were told that it's not a day to have fun in the playground and most of time they will be in class.
Girls have no school, but were asked to stay home between hours of 11-2.

In other news, no I'm not going to the funeral but we went last night to central London. We went to green park to see the flowers laid for the Queen, it was endless and people were still bringing flowers. There were also cards, balloons, candles, teddies, lots of paddington bears. So many handwritten cards, and pictures. We spotted a few in hebrew. Then we walked towards the Palace. At this point it was about 10.30pm, and all the way down the mall people were already camping out for the funeral to get themselves a good spot at the front. People had brought tents, camping chairs, books, board games, there were food and drink stations, toilets, loads of security and emergency staff. The people camping out all seemed to be helping each other out and making friends, telling passes by how long they'd travel for etc. Some of these people must have been there all day already. It looked like the middle of the day I wonder if they got any sleep at all.

Thats amazing that you managed to go to Central London and see the flowers etc, and the crowds. I saw people camping out on the news. I doubt they slept much.

Cspybe

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:55 am
salt wrote:

Don't see the big deal.

I'm with you on this. Apparently the Department of Education has not ruled that schools must closed, and if those establishments are conducting the day in a solemn manner, including keeping the kids indoors during the hours of the funeral, and holding assemblies in her honor during that time, then I don't see the issue. They're little kids.

life is fun

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 5:07 am
Lahavdil when there is levayes of gedoilim everything is shut in Eretz Yisroel as well...

Would we expect the n.j to close everything down? We as klall yisroel make a kiddush Hashem and show respect to the country too

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 7:10 am
life is fun wrote:
Lahavdil when there is levayes of gedoilim everything is shut in Eretz Yisroel as well...

Would we expect the n.j to close everything down? We as klall yisroel make a kiddush Hashem and show respect to the country too

Some accommodations are made because of the traffic jams, but businesses are not shut down all over the country.

ilic

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 8:25 am
DrMom wrote:
Some accommodations are made because of the traffic jams, but businesses are not shut down all over the country.

It's not that businesses have been shut down, the day has been made into a bank holiday. We had the same for royal weddings etc, it's not unheard of. And once it's a bank holiday then people will take off work, and today its also about showing respect. But there are plenty shops and restaurants etc still open.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics