Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Are you going to the queens funeral?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:59 am
Ruchi wrote:
Rav Sternbuch is not chasidish by any stretch of the imagination..
The Chief Rabbi is not considered your average heimishe Rabbi. He doesn’t compare to Dayan A D Dunner or other regular heimishe non chasidishe Rabonim.
Those Rabonim would never ever enter Westminster Abbey or have Theresa May stand in a beis Knesset right by the Aron hakodesh to speak to a male audience (the women were in the gallery)

Rav Sternbuch is a litvish as they come. He is a descendant of HaGaon mi Vilna. Says everything Smile

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:21 am
Just a point of information, Herzog, the President of Israel, who I believe is dati, though certainly not chareidi, will also be there.

s1

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:44 am
As an aside, the King met with faith leaders on Friday afternoon, the event was brought earlier so that the Chief Rabbi could be there and get home in time for Shabbos.

life is fun

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 5:22 am
Everyone do what is right for you.

I will follow rabbi Zimmermans psak, because that's right for me.
He also did mention not to tell people not to watch it if they were planning to watch it regardless of what anyone says.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:20 am
Elfrida wrote:
Just a point of information, Herzog, the President of Israel, who I believe is dati, though certainly not chareidi, will also be there.
Im curious why you think he is dati. I dont think he is.

salt

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:29 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I agree with you, he's not dati. He is pretty traditional, eg. went unshaven while he was in the 30 for his mother earlier this year.
I'm not going to nitpick into what he keeps and what he doesn't but I wouldn't use him as an example to go by, as to whether one is allowed to attend the Queen's funeral.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:27 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

For some reason I had the impression that he was. I could be mistaken.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:31 am
(Deleted, changed my mind)

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:35 am
Elfrida wrote:
For some reason I had the impression that he was. I could be mistaken.
He wears a kippa when its appropriate but other than that, no, I dont think he is dati.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:36 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
He wears a kippa when its appropriate but other than that, no, I dont think he is dati.

Oh well. It would have been nice if he was.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:43 am
PinkFridge wrote:
What have other chief rabbis done? There are some who aren't chareidi but did garner more widespread respect.

There haven't been any state funerals for a long time, but chief Rabbis have attended Royal weddings in Westminster Abbey and St Paul's Cathedral.

4g01o

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:48 am
Ruchi wrote:
Rav Sternbuch is not chasidish by any stretch of the imagination..
The Chief Rabbi is not considered your average heimishe Rabbi. He doesn’t compare to Dayan A D Dunner or other regular heimishe non chasidishe Rabonim.
Those Rabonim would never ever enter Westminster Abbey or have Theresa May stand in a beis Knesset right by the Aron hakodesh to speak to a male audience (the women were in the gallery)

They wouldn't, I agree with that. But someone has to represent the Jews, so obviously it's going to be someone who's not as yeshivish as other Rabbi's.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:06 am
Elfrida wrote:
There haven't been any state funerals for a long time, but chief Rabbis have attended Royal weddings in Westminster Abbey and St Paul's Cathedral.

I just deleted because I wasn't sure if it was constructive (especially the second half). I should have checked to see if anyone replied first Very Happy
I suspected other chief rabbis might have. What they have to do in their position doesn't necessarily apply to the rest of us.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:27 am
Elfrida wrote:

you probably think so because his grandfather was the Chief Rabbi of Israel. (and Ireland before that).

Rabbi Mirvis is rw M.O.

I am quite sure he will follow halachic guidance in this matter. You might be very surprised at the things that he might be allowed to do in this case, different rules apply to royalty.

On friday, the Palace made a interfaith meeting 30 minutes earlier so Rabbi Mirvis could get home for shabbos.

https://www.thejc.com/news/new.....u2uvF

Cspybe

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:31 am
Ruchi wrote:
Seeing all the children going to school and returning from school is bad enough. Also, The neighbors from the back (residential area) will be able to see there is school as usual (no blinds in the classrooms)

Not sure where you get your information from, but my nieces in satmar school in london are off tomorrow

life is fun

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:34 am
Cspybe wrote:
Not sure where you get your information from, but my nieces in satmar school in london are off tomorrow

Yesoide hatoirah boys are on apparently

Cspybe

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:38 am
life is fun wrote:
Yesoide hatoirah boys are on apparently

I'm not in London so don't know for sure, but apparently Kedassia ruled that boys should have school and the girls not.

4g01o

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:46 am
Cspybe wrote:
I'm not in London so don't know for sure, but apparently Kedassia ruled that boys should have school and the girls not.

They ruled that the boys should have a bit, not in the regular school building, or school clothing, and not during funeral hours. My older son's have an early start tomorrow, a shachris in school, followed by breakfast and learning. They get home just in time for the funeral, before 11am.

My younger son has a lesson with his Rebbe for 1.5 hours. Not in the school building and finishes just before the levaya.

My daughter doesn't have school at all.

ilic

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:57 am
Fab4 wrote:
They ruled that the boys should have a bit, not in the regular school building, or school clothing, and not during funeral hours. My older son's have an early start tomorrow, a shachris in school, followed by breakfast and learning. They get home just in time for the funeral, before 11am.

My younger son has a lesson with his Rebbe for 1.5 hours. Not in the school building and finishes just before the levaya.

My daughter doesn't have school at all.

Interesting. My boys have 9.30-1, a bit longer than regular sunday cheder hours, including an assembly for the queen. They are wearing uniform but were told today there will be very little outdoor time and no ballgame allowed. Also no line up in the morning. Tbh I was a bit surprised.
My girls are off and were told also to stay home 11-2.

Ruchi

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:31 pm
Cspybe wrote:

There are 2 Satmars. The one on Amhurst Park (Aronim ) is being open, they are starting earlier. Check in with your family as this was the last update and final decision.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics