Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DD8 blood in her stool

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 7:37 pm
My dd occasionally has red blood in her stool. She does get a bit constipated at times. When I brought it up to the pediatrician in the past, he said once in a while isn’t a cause for concern, only an issue if it happens frequently. Does that sound right to you? Or should I follow up further?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 7:51 pm
My doctor said the same thing. She said it's caused by constipation. When one kid started having it on a regular basis, she prescribed miralax.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 8:14 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
My doctor said the same thing. She said it's caused by constipation. When one kid started having it on a regular basis, she prescribed miralax.

I’m wondering if there’s a point where we say it’s time to go to a GI to check for celiac or crone’s or some other GI type issue…

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 8:27 pm
The doctor did bloodwork and didn't find anything wrong. I don't know if celiac shows up on a blood test.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 8:56 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
The doctor did bloodwork and didn't find anything wrong. I don't know if celiac shows up on a blood test.

Celiac deff shows up on a blood test as long as the dr was testing for celiac on the panel of what was being tested.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:05 pm
My DD gets it when she eats something she is allergic to.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 12:01 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m wondering if there’s a point where we say it’s time to go to a GI to check for celiac or crone’s or some other GI type issue…

If it is IN her stool, you must go figure out and get her to stop eating what is causing it. But even if it is a hemeroid, that is very severe. Ask your pediatrition to do bloodwork to check for celiac as a starting point.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 12:04 am
My daughter was diagnosed with crohns at age 6 and the only symptom was blood in her stool. It started very small, and then she had more and more blood....her bloodwork actually came back normal and ahe had no other symptoms but a colonoscopy (they were expecting to find a bleeding polyp)showed serious crohns.
You never know whats going on, always a good idea to check it out

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 12:12 am
As someone who was diagnosed with Crohn's last summer (without blood in stool, just crazy diahrea, but blood is a huge red flag)

Go to a GI. get all the blood and stool workups.
They will test for celiac, cdiff, parasites, all sorts of things... And inflammation

And then you go from there

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:14 am
amother Cornsilk wrote:
If it is IN her stool, you must go figure out and get her to stop eating what is causing it. But even if it is a hemeroid, that is very severe. Ask your pediatrition to do bloodwork to check for celiac as a starting point.

I didn’t see it but she said it wasn’t quite mixed in, more on?
Also she did basic bloodwork for celiac a while back because she is very small. The bloodwork came back negative but the GI we used is one of those who feels all ashkenazi Jews have celiac, so she was telling me how and why the bloodwork wasn’t correct…(it was almost ridiculous how she was trying to fit her narrative to the reality!)

I spoke to the pediatrician and he said to give her miralax for 2 months to reset her system and see if that helps.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics