Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DD wakes up at night and does not fall back asleep

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:48 pm
She (Age 3) wakes up wide awake and can be up for 3 hours, completely not tired.

Any idea what it can be or anything to do to help?

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:53 pm
How old is she?

This happens to me but I’m an adult and read for a while until I get sleepy again.
Also I take Benadryl (12.5 milligrams) to help me sleep better. It really helps but I wouldn’t recommend for a young child on a regular basis.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:03 pm
I don't know but I have the exact same thing with my 11 year old son! How old is your daughter? My son has always been a night owl and functions well on way less sleep than my other kids but this waking up and not being able to fall back asleep is frustrating all of us! I have a call scheduled with the pediatrician next week to discuss this exactly, I'll try post an update afterwards

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:11 pm
Just edited the post to add her age (3)

She is a toddler and needs her sleep and is loony if she does not have sleep Banging head

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:13 pm
I could have written your post too! DD3 also wakes up at night and wont go back to sleep until she eats!! no I don't think shes actually hungry but it somehow became a habit. when I try and not give in she screams and I just can't have everyone else wake up from her screaming!

help!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:16 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
I could have written your post too! DD3 also wakes up at night and wont go back to sleep until she eats!! no I don't think shes actually hungry but it somehow became a habit. when I try and not give in she screams and I just can't have everyone else wake up from her screaming!

help!!

I feel for u!! Yes I am in a small apartment and I cannot risk her waking up eo else either...

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:16 pm
I wrote about my 6 year old last night. She goes to sleep very nicely, but she doesn’t sleep through the night, and she is a terror if I don’t let her into my room/bed, which I’m trying to wean her off of. My husband is away, and last night she ended up in his bed. Tonight I hope to sleep through her knocking on my door.

esther11

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:17 pm
Is she going to bed too early? Maybe her body is responding to bed like a nap time, instead of a full nights sleep. Or maybe discuss using melatonin with your doctor, at least until she gets onto a better routine.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:25 pm
op I don't mean to hijack your thread, but just adding in in case maybe it helps you? I know I can use all the advice I can get.

ive used melatonin, it helps her fall asleep but shes up at 2:30am anyway. won't keep her asleep

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:28 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
op I don't mean to hijack your thread, but just adding in in case maybe it helps you? I know I can use all the advice I can get.

ive used melatonin, it helps her fall asleep but shes up at 2:30am anyway. won't keep her asleep

Thanks her prob is not falling asleep bh she conks out right away it is just waking up at 11 wide awake

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:29 pm
esther11 wrote:
Is she going to bed too early? Maybe her body is responding to bed like a nap time, instead of a full nights sleep. Or maybe discuss using melatonin with your doctor, at least until she gets onto a better routine.

That is an interesting point, I wonder she goes to bed at 6 and is up at 630 so very tired by the time 6 rolls ard

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:43 pm
Could pinworms be waking her? And then it’s just hard to fall back asleep?

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:53 pm
I would suggest putting her to bed at 8 for a few days and see what happens.
I know she’s very tired by 6 but apparently she’s using it as a nap.
See what happens if she goes to sleep later. It might be very hard the first few days because she’ll be so tired between 6-8 but it might be better in a long run.
By 8pm she no longer wants a nap. She hopefully will want uninterrupted sleep by that time.

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
That is an interesting point, I wonder she goes to bed at 6 and is up at 630 so very tired by the time 6 rolls ard

She’s so tired because she’s going to sleep close to 2am!!
The earlier part of the night seems to just be a nap.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 11:55 am
amother Diamond wrote:
I would suggest putting her to bed at 8 for a few days and see what happens.
I know she’s very tired by 6 but apparently she’s using it as a nap.
See what happens if she goes to sleep later. It might be very hard the first few days because she’ll be so tired between 6-8 but it might be better in a long run.
By 8pm she no longer wants a nap. She hopefully will want uninterrupted sleep by that time.

Thank you! I will try and keep you posted!

cuffs

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 12:23 pm
There is a concept of breaking the cycle. If she normally wakes up at 11:00 at 10:00 go into her room and gently wake her, just enough to make her stir not fully awake. And then when 11:00 comes around her body already woke up so she will continue sleeping.
I would also recommend checking for pinworms.

nu

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 3:58 am
Bumping this up. OP did you find a solution to keep her sleeping through the night? I have a similar situation with my 5 year old for the longest time.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 7:28 am
Pray that things settle down in a week when the clock changes and we lose an hour. She'll be tired. I hope her schedule with settle after a few days of slowly adjusting her schedule by 15 minutes every night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics