Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Ted Talk on how to lose weight and keep it off.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 8:52 pm
I just wanted to share this Ted Talk that I found interesting.

This Jamaican Doctor talks about the "secret" to losing weight and keeping it off.
In short, he says that most of your calories for the day should be consumed in the morning (before 2 pm). What you eat in the moring gets converted to energy. Whatever you eat later in the day gets converted to fat. Also, you should excercize first thing in the morning, before putting anything in your mouth.
He says a lot more . Watch it if you are interested. (It's about 15 min)

What I found intriguing is that he says that this way of eating is not new. In fact we have this from the "Nation of Israel." He cites a passuk, in Shemos. He doesnt elaborate what he means by this, but I looked up the passuk myslef. The passuk says that the people went out in the morning to collect the mahn, and they collected what they would eat for the day, and when the sun grew hot, it melted away. From this he infers the idea (I assume) that the Torah recommends one to do excercize first thing in the morning before eating anything, and whatever you eat later in the day is not good for you.

He also uses Yosef as an example of someone who overcame his temptation, when he talks about cravings. Cravings are temporary, and they pass after about 20 minutes.

Here is the link if anyone is interested.
Losing Weight and keeping it off. (Errol Bryce | TEDxSouthwesternAU)

https://www.ted.com/talks/erro.....pread

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 8:54 pm
I believe the Rambam (or is it the Gemara?) agrees.

Eat breakfast like a king (pas Shacharis), lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:00 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:

Eat breakfast like a king (pas Shacharis), lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.

The gemara talks about pas shacharis.
I am not aware that the Rambam says that. I think he says that you should have only 1 or 2 meals a day.

The timing thing seems to be gaining more traction amongst doctors and nutritionists these days. Years ago, they used to say that timing doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is how many calories you eat, not when you eat them. But now I'm hearing it much more.

Regarding not eating before excercize, I have also seen conflicting advice.
Some say that you must feul up before excercize, preferably with carbs. Otherwise you will feel dizzy and lightheaded.

Others say that you should excercize at the end of your "fast" , meaning before your first meal of the day. I think I recall hearing in the name of the Rambam that one should take a brisk walk before eating.

According to him, after a meal, you aren't supposed to excercize because it's bad for digestion.

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:07 pm
very interesting

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:11 pm
According to the Internet, the quote I mentioned can be attributed to the Talmud (per chabad.org), the Rambam (per 2 journal studies who quote “ Eat like a king in the morning, a prince at noon, and a peasant at dinner”. (Moses ben Maimon or Maimonides. 1135-1404), or someone Adele Davis in the early 1900s.

Either way, definitely not a new idea. ;-)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:16 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
According to the Internet, the quote I mentioned can be attributed to the Talmud (per chabad.org), the Rambam (per 2 journal studies who quote “ Eat like a king in the morning, a prince at noon, and a peasant at dinner”. (Moses ben Maimon or Maimonides. 1135-1404), or someone Adele Davis in the early 1900s.

Either way, definitely not a new idea. ;-)

Right, this is as old as it gets. And he doesn't claim that it's a new idea. He calls it a "secret" because apparently, in this age of excess information, it's hard to sift through and differentiate that which is real and that which is junk science.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:24 pm
Major hashgacha! I watched this ted talk yesterday! I also mentioned it to my friend, especially the part when he talks about the exodus. I think what he says is true and makes a lot of sense. I personally knew at least a few people who told me they eat everything and anything they want by a certain (early) time in the afternoon and I saw them lose a lot of weight too. I also had a client who was very thin and when I made a comment to her that she must eat very little, she told me she eats everything and anything she wants in the morning.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:28 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:

This quote has been attributed to more than one person but it is very circadian rhythm friendly regardless of who coined it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
The

Regarding not eating before excercize, I have also seen conflicting advice.
Some say that you must feul up before excercize, preferably with carbs. Otherwise you will feel dizzy and lightheaded.

Others say that you should excercize at the end of your "fast" , meaning before your first meal of the day. I think I recall hearing in the name of the Rambam that one should take a brisk walk before eating.

According to him, after a meal, you aren't supposed to excercize because it's bad for digestion.

Training fasted is a legitimate thing, there are variations on it but the definition of training fasted is not eating carbs before training.

Many people don’t eat at all before training. People with hypoglycaemia often have insulin resistance. We all have glycogen stored in our muscles, and hardly any of us exercise hard enough to use it all up in one exercise session.

Not citing because I had my first clinical today and I’m exhausted. This was a topic I researched when I did my nutrition for sports and performance certification.

It’s an oddball thing for a 54 year old orthodox woman who isn’t a trainer to know about, but the entire course was gir post graduate folks, lasted 8 months full time, and was taught by taught by two PhD’s in nutrition and other dieticians (including two Olympic Qualified dieticians) and all suggestions were evidence based. We learned how to look at research so that we’d be able to make suggestions that are evidence based.

We studied only elite athletes because their homogeneity but that is the gold standard in exercise research. It’s unclear if research on elite athletes can be applied to people who are not elite athletes but there is a lot of anecdotal that people like to train fasted. In addition, it’s known science that exercise takes energy away from digestion so eating too much right before is not helpful. At minimum carby food takes about 4 hours to turn into energy. Fat takes about 18 hours. Obviously most of us would never run out of fat lol.

Also, just to clear up a couple of misconceptions- carb loading has been debunked. There’s only so much glycogen your liver will store.

If you’re going to ingest 30-60 g carb per hour to keep going for an endurance race, it’s best to train how you’re going to compete sometimes to accustom your body To it while performing.

Most of this won’t be relevant to most of you, but I just wanted to say I’m
Familiar with the topic, and evidence exists.

This post on nutrition for sport and performance has been brought to you by the sheer exhaustion and overwhElming amount of procrastination of going to sleep because of nursing school commitments. Sigh. Lyla Tov.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 8:41 pm
Chana Miriam S wrote:
Training fasted is a legitimate thing, there are variations on it but the definition of training fasted is not eating carbs before training.

Many people don’t eat at all before training. People with hypoglycaemia often have insulin resistance. We all have glycogen stored in our muscles, and hardly any of us exercise hard enough to use it all up in one exercise session.

Not citing because I had my first clinical today and I’m exhausted. This was a topic I researched when I did my nutrition for sports and performance certification.

It’s an oddball thing for a 54 year old orthodox woman who isn’t a trainer to know about, but the entire course was gir post graduate folks, lasted 8 months full time, and was taught by taught by two PhD’s in nutrition and other dieticians (including two Olympic Qualified dieticians) and all suggestions were evidence based. We learned how to look at research so that we’d be able to make suggestions that are evidence based.

We studied only elite athletes because their homogeneity but that is the gold standard in exercise research. It’s unclear if research on elite athletes can be applied to people who are not elite athletes but there is a lot of anecdotal that people like to train fasted. In addition, it’s known science that exercise takes energy away from digestion so eating too much right before is not helpful. At minimum carby food takes about 4 hours to turn into energy. Fat takes about 18 hours. Obviously most of us would never run out of fat lol.

Also, just to clear up a couple of misconceptions- carb loading has been debunked. There’s only so much glycogen your liver will store.

If you’re going to ingest 30-60 g carb per hour to keep going for an endurance race, it’s best to train how you’re going to compete sometimes to accustom your body To it while performing.

Most of this won’t be relevant to most of you, but I just wanted to say I’m
Familiar with the topic, and evidence exists.

This post on nutrition for sport and performance has been brought to you by the sheer exhaustion and overwhElming amount of procrastination of going to sleep because of nursing school commitments. Sigh. Lyla Tov.

Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but I just remembered it and wanted to reread what I wrote.
And seeing as you are trained in this subject, I'm wondering if you could Wrigh in...

The Ted talk I quoted seems to say that you should eat early ajd stop eating early as well.
Current intermittent wisdom says you should try not to eat until 11 or 12. Eat until 7 or 8 and then fast for 16 hours again.

To Me that seems like a contraditctuon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise