Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Broiling liver
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 12:23 pm
BT here...

If I broil liver to get the blood out does my oven become treif?

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 1:22 pm
You can't broil liver in an oven to make it kosher. Liver literally has to be broiled on all sides over an open flame. Putting it in a pan under the broiler in your oven won't work. If you have a gas stove or another source of an open flame that you can get the liver close to it can be done, but it's really messy. I'm also not sure of the details, how long it has to be exposed to the flame etc. If ready broiled liver isn't available where you live, I'd say skip it. For sure ask your lor for detailed instructions if you decide you want to try it.

effess

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 1:41 pm
I learned from my mother that it makes the oven treif
You can do it on a disposable grill
A designated broiler
Your grill with designated grates
Best, ask your rov

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 2:13 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
You can't broil liver in an oven to make it kosher. Liver literally has to be broiled on all sides over an open flame. Putting it in a pan under the broiler in your oven won't work. If you have a gas stove or another source of an open flame that you can get the liver close to it can be done, but it's really messy. I'm also not sure of the details, how long it has to be exposed to the flame etc. If ready broiled liver isn't available where you live, I'd say skip it. For sure ask your lor for detailed instructions if you decide you want to try it.

oh wow... ive been doing it so wrong

I broil in my oven until blood runs through and then I cook it for 20 mins in a pan

I need to call rav asap

Rubies

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 4:21 pm
Where are you buying raw liver?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 6:17 pm
Rubies wrote:
Where are you buying raw liver?

All the kosher supermarkets by me sell raw liver.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 6:18 pm
ty ladies who answered
spoke to rav in length about it
going to be an issue with my non frum family when we go for shabbos
sometimes I hate being a BT

amother
Obsidian

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 9:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
ty ladies who answered
spoke to rav in length about it
going to be an issue with my non frum family when we go for shabbos
sometimes I hate being a BT

Are you able to tell us what your rav said about it? I'm not sure why liver would be a problem more than any other type of food when visiting non frum family. Maybe you're not comfortable sharing but if you are- please do. I'm not a BT but trying to run a kosher kitchen can be a challenge no matter how you grew up. Any information can be useful.

Rubies

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 9:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
All the kosher supermarkets by me sell raw liver.

Are you absolutely sure of that? Liver is sold broiled already.

Can you post a picture? I've never seen raw liver yet.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 9:59 pm
Rubies wrote:
Are you absolutely sure of that? Liver is sold broiled already.

Can you post a picture? I've never seen raw liver yet.

Why are you doubting me? They sell raw liver and say it needs to be broiled and kashered.
I asked my rav why the vaad allows it and he says he will look into and speak to them.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 10:01 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Are you able to tell us what your rav said about it? I'm not sure why liver would be a problem more than any other type of food when visiting non frum family. Maybe you're not comfortable sharing but if you are- please do. I'm not a BT but trying to run a kosher kitchen can be a challenge no matter how you grew up. Any information can be useful.

Thanks, your post made me feel better. I feel so lousy sometimes bedause I dont know basic halachos.

He said the way my mother prepared it wasnt kasher and the pot she used to cook it in after she broiled is treif and I need to call him tomorrow on how to deal with it. It was a little awkward on shabbos she asked why I didnt take any and I said oh Ill eat it tomorrow for lunch. She thinks I ate it today and I feel bad lying. Whatever...

He said there is no way to kasher liver properly and to buy it already broiled.

Now I have to deal with how to kasher the pot she used to cook it in and a spoon and knife. And I have to add this to my day tomorrow ach!

Rubies

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 10:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why are you doubting me? They sell raw liver and say it needs to be broiled and kashered.
I asked my rav why the vaad allows it and he says he will look into and speak to them.

I'm sorry! I was just very curious as this isn't done in most places anymore.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 10:18 pm
Rubies wrote:
I'm sorry! I was just very curious as this isn't done in most places anymore.

I know, Im upset that the vaad in this town is allowing the supermarkets to sell it. I wish I knew sooner. Ive been eating treif for years.

I need to take a comprehensive kashrus course. Do u kno of any?

amother
Forsythia

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 10:57 pm
“He said there is no way to kasher liver properly and to buy it already broiled“

I’m curious about this… hundreds of generations have been kashering liver over an open flame. Why is our generation not able to do this properly? Not doubting. I genuinely want to know.

ImmaBubby

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 11:24 pm
Honestly when it comes to liver, even Bais Yaakov graduates seem to be ignorant of basic kashrus. The first time my husband told me we needed to Kasher raw liver, I was shocked!

Ellie7

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 11:30 pm
I don’t like liver and have no intention of buying raw liver but I hate hate hate the attitude that people can’t possibly do something right so let’s take it away from them.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:11 am
Ellie7 wrote:
I don’t like liver and have no intention of buying raw liver but I hate hate hate the attitude that people can’t possibly do something right so let’s take it away from them.

This is a strange moment for you to say that. You can see what aggravation op is going through from trying to kasher liver and having to deal with a treif pot, treif utensils, and even worse realizing she ate treif. Liver is sold already kashered in most places so no one has to deal with this. My great grandmother had to kosher her own chickens. No one I know has to do that anymore. No one I know wants to do that anymore.
I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this op. I don’t know if this will make you feel better but my mother’s friend threw raw liver into a pot of chicken soup right after she got married. Treifed up her whole kitchen. Not a bt. Not only did she learn from her mistake, all her friends did too and they made sure their daughters knew to watch out for raw liver. Who knows how many women learned from your mistake by you writing about it here. Not much comfort I know, but maybe just a little.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:06 am
My mother used to kosher liver.
She would cover the stove in silver foil since it made a huge mess.
We had something like this

https://www.amazon.com/EORTA-B.....psc=1

She would put the liver into it in a single layer and broil over the fire on the stove.
(Don’t remember if she salted it first)
It’s been a long time since you can get it here.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:19 am
My dh did it a few times on an open fire he made in the yard. He kept one fork from a different set just for this purpose. I don't remember where he got the liver. I think someone gave him a bunch for some reason. (We're in Israel.)

I'm a BT, too (dh is not, FWIW), and I've actually learned a lot about kashrus, but nothing about liver. OP, if you are looking for a course, maybe there's an Aish HaTorah in your area? That's where I learned. Or Chabad. For most basic halachos, I'm pretty sure it would be basically the same everywhere. Sfardim do have a bunch of differences, in case that's an issue. Good luck with your parents and the pots!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:26 am
Learning how to kasher meat and chicken should be a basic part of any yeshiva education, and also a basic part of what any ba’al teshuva is taught about kashrut. That includes the standard method of rinsing, brief soak, rinsing, salting, triple rinse, which is what you do for regular meat and chicken, and broiling,which is what you do for liver. It’s true that butchers do the kashering for you, but we should all know what to do because 1) it’s part of our mesorah and 2) it’s not impossible that you wind up somewhere where there’s a shochet who will slaughter and treiber the meat, but leave you to kasher it.

Regarding liver: growing up, we had a butcher who would sell you liver either broiled or raw. My mother taught me how to broil liver over an open gas flame. (What a joy. Horrible smells during broiling, a mess to clean up, and an end product that tasted significantly worse than most foods I know.) I have a ceramic stove top now, and I am delighted that there is no possibility of my kashering liver on it. Still, I’m glad I know what to do, and what the halachot are.

Regarding broiling in an oven: The following article from Chabad https://www.chabad.org/library.....g.htm
seems to indicate that broiling in an oven directly under the flame would be okay. But the pan used to catch the drippings would become not kosher. So I guess you’d reserve a pan for purposes of broiling, much the same as you reserve a special wooden board for the salting process. At home, my mother kept one pair of skewers for kashering chicken liver and one open wire grill pan, as one of the posters here showed, for kashering beef liver. We were not allowed to put these directly in the sink. We waited until they were cool, then rinsed and cleaned them under running cool water in the sink, then thoroughly cleaned the sink with cool water before we used it again.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen